Archive through March 07, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Moonman's elixir, a review:Archive through March 07, 2002
By Destiny on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Now Verawench, back to the goblet thing...

By Baz on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 02:48 pm: Edit

I feel doubly gyped, b/c I can't go to the NYC meeting either, and miss out on another opportunity to imbibe the moon man's potion(God that sounds dirty)

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 12:25 pm: Edit

"Dip the tip of your tongue in. Wormwood is the first thing you taste."

Ah, I do so wish that I COULD! But some of us (like Blackjack mentions) were not privy to this lovely mailed treat.

Now pardon me whilst I bury my head and cry...

By Verawench on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 12:03 pm: Edit

"..or..."

OR?????? No, thank you. Not from dainty crystal goblets.

By Baz on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

I've never been that tired. That drunk, but not that tired.

By Verawench on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:21 am: Edit

More tonight. I was too tired to drink last night.

Damn, that's tired.

By Lint on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:38 am: Edit

sheesh thats a louche. looks like milk..or...

By Wolfgang on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:18 am: Edit

ha hum...50-50...well if you like it that way...But for sur at this ratio you can't really taste the less prominent herbs... If you have some left I urge you to try it at 1:5, you will be mesmerized at the difference.

With more water the anis taste gets diluted and leave place to a pleiade of flavors, mainly dominated by lavender and angelica.

By Destiny on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:37 pm: Edit

slurrrrrp, all gone... Sorry, couldn't resist!

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:25 pm: Edit

moonman2

Louched, 50/50 ratio.

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Pictures speak louder than words. Even when they're a tad blurry:

moonman1

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Dip the tip of your tongue in. Wormwood is the first thing you taste.

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I used quarter of a sugar cube. And that is the ONLY sugar I'm tasting right now - very different.

Sweetness and bitterness are bouncing off each other. There is no masking of nastiness. At 66%, it's incredibly smooth. Slight stinging in the mouth is the only hint that this isn't simply a creamy health tonic of water and herbs and sugar.

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

"Live review"

My nose is buried in the stuff. Pre-mixing, it is full of the very dry "healthy" scent of wormwood with anis buried underneath (sweetness). You want to pour it on a spoon and say something like "open wide" or "down the hatch". This is the fine work of a very moon-mad doctor.

The louche betrays star anis. It appears quickly and dissolves the medicinal scent into a heady, milky aroma. No subtletly there. But then again I'm going 50/50 on the water and absinthe with only slightly more water. This is my tasting ritual.

By Scanion on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:45 pm: Edit

This is a enjoyable, eduactional thread! My question is about legs on the glass. I have observed NS 70 having more legs compared to MM, Seg, and Deva 70. Is this the type of legs referred to in Moonman's Elixir?

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Mmmm...

smells good.

And, as I say to Lars - more later.

By Themagicman on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 03:57 pm: Edit

meeee toooo

please and thank you

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I would just like to point out for the record that I am open to any samples that anyone would like to send me for review. I'm not ASKING, I'm just making a position statement.

I wanna be one of the cool kids...!

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Ho! Ho! Ho!
SantaGreen!

By Tavarua on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

A pony?

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

double post

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Guess what I just got in my mailbox, lovingly wrapped in green paper...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

Yes I asked for it because I believe it`s interesting to read something about absinthe on this forum from time to time...

Personally I would like to ear about what`s out there even if it`s not available. Just for the pleasure of sharing the dream.

Yes I got lot`s of emails since last year, that`s also why I removed the email form my profile. Those who really want it can find it but at least it`s not too easy. Most of the time I`m willing to help and give some hints to those who ask advices but of course I don`t send samples on request. Damn I don`t have enough for myself !

By Tavarua on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:30 am: Edit

Z,

My mistake. I didn't know that he asked you to post a review. Some home-brewers get a little upset when it is announced that they are giving away samples. This was not the case here. My apologies.

By Zman7 on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:12 am: Edit

Tav,
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't get your meaning. I was very graciously given a sample of Moonman's elixir, and the Moonman asked me to post a review of it (answering specific questions that he wanted answered) on the forum. I am honoured that I was one of those chosen to sample and review his handiwork.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 06:37 am: Edit

Lost your email address. Email me and I will send you an explanation.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 06:28 am: Edit

Wolf,

Email me.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:51 am: Edit

Tav : What rule and who makes those rules ? The absinthe mafia ?

If you'r talking about writing about it on the forum, let me say what the Moonman think about it. Moonman doensn't make alcohol, he use expensive duty paid alcohol only. He doesn't sell it and never will. He just share it with friends for free. He's also still waiting to see a law text (in his country) against soaking wormwood in alcohol or specifically against making or drinking absinthe. Up to now, the worst he has find is something stating that there's a fine for making alcohol, which he doesn't anyway.

One thing for sure doo, getting alcohol by mail (like from SC...) is prohibited so maybe we shouldn't talk about it also ? Damn! what are we gonna talk about ?

I'm happy to read Zman's review on the forum, I think this discussion have an educational value and is directly related to the main topic of this forum which is "Absinthe". Moonman is safe on the Moon and Zman have a lot of imagination. Does it make everybody happy ?

just my 0.02 can$

By Meat_Nipples on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I have taken up to 35-40 Jimson weed seeds at a time years ago and never had a touch of delerium or hallucinations, but they dried out my throat and sinuses way too much and I did feel a bit spacey (still not as much as I do from over the counter anti-histamines though). I haven't done it in a long while but for me, ten seeds always clears me out very quickly.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Zman7,
Brother, you just broke the first rule of free samples.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:27 am: Edit

Should be there soon, I sent it at the same time.

By Verawench on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:08 am: Edit

Can't wait for mine...

By Baz on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

You're right-
it does sound crazy!!

By Meat_Nipples on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 10:52 am: Edit

I know this sounds crazy but Jimson Weed (datura species) seeds, no more than 10 at a time EVER, are a great natural remedy for chest congestion and allergies. The seeds vary greatly in strength so you can only take a small amount to be on the safe side but at this dose they work better for me than benadryl and have less mental clouding effects.

By Baz on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 10:22 am: Edit

When he mentioned damiana, I was thinking datura...

Talk about secondary effects!!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 09:14 am: Edit

"cut back on the mystery herb"

It was a first experience with lavender. Only 1 gr in the coloration and it dominateed the taste ! It's incredibly powerful and should be used scarcely.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 09:08 am: Edit

Here`s the quantities of the basic herbs:

For about 1L of ethanol,
green anis 150 gr (will be reduced to 140)
Star anis 15 gr (will be reduced to 10)
A.Absinthium 50gr (treated to reduce bitterness/woodiness)
Fennel 70gr

By Zman7 on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:23 am: Edit

Angelica? That's what I must have been tasting.
Overcooked? No, I wouldn't say overcooked. The taste/smell of tails was present,but faint and did not detract from the overall experience. I would (my preference)stay with the amount of anise, but cut back on the mystery herb. I liked this absinthe very much. It would taste even better with some of that fancy-shmancey sugar ;)
zman

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 07:29 am: Edit

Moonman thanks you for your review and asked me to post some hint about the characteristics of this absinthe.

The core of this absinthe is made of about 12 herbs. Here's a list of some dominant herbs:

Anis (lots of green anis and a bit of star anis),wormwood (50gr/L),fennel,juniper berries, angelica seeds,coriander and more ... There's also a bit of cardamome (must be used in very small quantity if you don't want to end up with a soap tasting brew!).

The coloration step use those:
Artemisia pontica (thanks to Zman), melissa, pepper mint, hysop and the mysterious herb : too much (1 gr) *lavender*. (Plus did he used some damiana for this batch ?...not sure, will have to check Moonman's book).

"It also left a slight oily (but very pleasant)feel on the palate. "

*insert big proud smile here*

And you know what ? The new York version (and probably all following batches) is twice as much creamy, it leaves big fat legs on the glass. Aion should get his samples soon, he also got a small quantity of this version (creamier and without lavender) so he should be able to post a comparative review, that will be interesting.

Next time I will ask Moonman to use less anis, juniper, angelica and lavender (about 1/2 gr, no more) so we will be able to also taste the other herbs. He will also increase hysop and pontica.

I'm glad you liked it. Didn't you find some overcooked hints ? I wouln't be mad at you if you say so because I taste some overcooking in there myself. Probably because I'm a crazy perfectionist... ;)

By Rimbaud on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Yeah, who wouldn't. Unfortunately, I don't believe he is selling any. Dream on...

~Rimbaud

By Themagicman on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:48 pm: Edit

how can One get a bottle of this Elixir du Hausgemachte I would be interested in one or two

thanks Magic Man

By Zman7 on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:13 pm: Edit

I was recently graced by a generous sample of the mysterious Moonmans's Absinthe Elixir du Hausgemachte (Old Lady version #5a). Moonman, I thank you for considering me worthy. Now on to the review....
Sampled neat:
It was a beautiful pale peridot with hints of the yellow of a waxing moon. The smell was predominantly anise and wormwood and I believe also the aroma of hyssop. Also present was an interesting herbal aroma that I could not place. It was pleasant and reminded me of the aroma when you walk into a fine herb shop. A very herbal and pleasantly aromatic experience.
It left faint tears (I believe this is known as "legs" in the wine vernacular)with small little bubbles on the top of the glass.
Tasted neat it was again primarily anise, wormwood, hyssop, and that mysterious herbal quality. A small sip revealed a gentle warmth and tongue tingle, that flowed down the throat as the sip passed the palate. It also left a slight oily (but very pleasant)feel on the palate.
With water and sugar:
I mixed it in a five to one ratio (which is my general absinthe preference)and two small C&H sugar cubes (I can't get those fancy-shmancey French ones, hint, hint Moonman).
As I slowly added water to this elixir, it revealed a strong opaline louche, and the aroma bloomed even more strongly.
The flavor was full and predominantly anise, wormwood, hyssop, and the mystery herb. I also seem to detect Artemisia Pontica, but it is overshadowed by the mystery herb. Mouthfeel was pleasant yet robust. Upon draining the glass, I smelled a definite anise/wormwood aroma that remained.
As for "effects," I generally can't rate that as a prime consideration of mine. I felt the effects of ethanol, and a slight lightness of being, that I have come to sometimes appreciate in an Absinthe.
All in all it was a very pleasant aperitif, and I was sorry to see the end of my glass. I would definitely reach for another Moonman Elixir du Hausgemachte if the opportunity arose.
Thanks Moonman,

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation