Random shit

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Random shit
By Timk on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 12:26 pm: Edit

yes, I have heard torch lighters are a pain, but apart for the xtend, Dupont lighters are not torch lighters. As a side note, does anyone know how to dismanlte a Dunhill rollagas lighter?

By I_B_Puffin on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Zippos may be good for cigarettes, but I would never use one to light a cigar. I don't have a Dupont but have had other torch lighters and they all clog up, and are a bit of a pain. So I just prefer a cheap one, or a Bic.

By Timk on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit

I myself only smoke cigars, but I find in anything but the calmest conditions, my match goes out, hence the dupont purchase, mind you, if your smoking a tubo, the cedar veneer can make an effective spill or two

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 09:49 am: Edit

Baz, never found them in USA but I have been gone since mid 89.

I recommend disguising youself as Bin Ladin and thereby slipping through the FBI surveillance, enter a Middle Eastern supermarket in USA and they may have it. Next to the grenades and the suicide bomber load-bearing equipment.

Just mutter Allah Ahkbar! at anyone who talks to you and try to appear as shify as possible.

By Baz on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 09:12 am: Edit

Don-
did you ever get those briquettes in the us? I grew quite fond of sheesha (sp?) in Egypt, but I never knew what they used to keep the glow.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 07:00 am: Edit

No Vietnam veteran will ever diss a Zippo.

But I don't light (good and bona fide) Cuban cigars with anything but wood matches. When done properly only one is required.

Strike-anywhere kichen matches preferred.

Butane pipe lighters are alright. No taste makes it over the Balkan Soubranie which is all I smoke.
And that only in meerschaum.

I don't smoke cigarettes.

And my hookah requires a tiny briquette, lit by rather prolonged butane flame, to get the very wet juicy Middle Eastern fruit soaked tobacco going.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 02:12 am: Edit

"I think that Zippos make things taste like lighter fluid."

That's all part of their charm. That along with the fact that if you carry one around in your pocket for too long you end up smelling like a petrol station forecourt.

In truth however Zippos are definitely the coolest lighters ever made and what's more they're inexpensive. None of the stuffy, stuck-up, wealthy, boring, middle-aged businessman in a suit image that goes with a Dunhill or a Dupont lighter.

Hobgoblin

By Chevalier on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:28 am: Edit

Have you ever seen Dupont's limited edition lighter commemorating Hong Kong's return to Chinese rule? "Extravagant" and "expensive" don't even come close. Imagine all those Chinese Communist Party officials and businessmen, forking over "the people's" money to buy a lighter. And leave it to the French to sell it to them ... along with missiles and fighter jets.

By Timk on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:37 am: Edit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1084010429

There we are, cheapest I have seen one before they sold out everywhere is £450, so not bad

By Timk on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:05 am: Edit

SFA = Sweet Fuck All :P

By Rimbaud on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Timk...SFA? Super Furry Animals?

By Timk on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Thats why i want a butane lighter, maby a Gatsby or Urban in the Abstractions special edition pattern, I also have an early Dunhill rollagas with a broken flint holder on its way, but i doubt repair by Dunhill will be all that cheap.

By Destiny on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I think that Zippos make things taste like lighter fluid.

By Timk on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Lol, but the Palladium plating and Chinese Lacquer looks so cool

By Chevalier on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Duponts are friggin' expensive. Like Dunhill pipes and lighters, the name makes a Dupont "worth" more than the sum of its parts. Buy it to sell, not to keep.

By Timk on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Ya, thats why i hang out here... :P

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 02:57 pm: Edit

TimK,

For a student you must be stinking rich. I mean what's wrong with a Zippo? Nothing works better than a Zippo to cook your hash. You are one wierd student.

Hobgoblin

By Timk on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Anyone here had any experience with Dupont lighters? - I was looking at getting a nice lighter, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts - not strictly absinthe, but then theres SFA going on absinthe wise ATM.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation