Review of the New French Brands

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Review of the New French Brands
By Absinthesque2 on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

I have tried the experiment Ted proposed with Guy and Ricard, and I concur that there is probably some licorice (I assume that's what it is) in the Guy; however, where that flavor is the dominant one in Ricard and is quite overpowering, it is only element among several in the Guy. My preferences in absinthes often change as I get more familiar with a particular variety. . .funny how the same brand can seem different with each tasting, as someone else observerd a while back. For now, the Guy remains my favorite commercial absinthe.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 07:14 am: Edit

Heh heh heh... Sorry girls no pictures of my root are going up in this thread.

I AM the guy who can still ring the Liberty Bell(replica), with his diminutive CLAPPER!

By Aion on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 03:36 am: Edit

Head,
I really hope your root does not look
like this one

root

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:50 pm: Edit

My manroot?

By Aion on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Let me assume Ted is talking about that
root he once said he dislikes.
That root Don has one kilogram of
that will never be used.
This root is VERY SWEEEEET!!
A.

By Tabreaux on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 11:28 am: Edit

If you taste Pernod, then a pastis (e.g. Ricard), then A. Guy, only then will you see what I am referring to.

By Absinthesque2 on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:29 am: Edit

I don't think it has added sugar either. On my label, it appears that "sucre" has been inked over on the list of ingredients. Ted, I guess our tastes on this one are just different.

I should clarify as to what I meant about Oxy. . .which I don't like very much. . .I should have said it has qualities that make it more like vintage than the Spanish brands or most La Bleues. Less anise and the quality of the louche to be specfic. Of all the brands I've tried, I'd have to say Wolvie's Verte is the closest to vintage.

By Tabreaux on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 05:47 am: Edit

Herbsaint, like Pernod, is a liqueur d'anise.

The information on the label regarding sugar is conflicting. However, it does not appear to contain sugar as far as I can tell. At least a portion of the pointed sweetness and dull bitterness seem to result from atypical sources, as is the strange aftertaste it leaves. This product is very simple in texture, and while I do not find it to be 'bad', I do no find it to be very interesting.

By Aion on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 11:41 pm: Edit

Ted,
what is your opinion, is there sugar in
A.Guy´s. The label says no, but I can´t
believe it. It is rather sweet.
A.

By Nolan on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Well,these new absinthes don't really remind me of Herbsaint,which is the
pastis I am most familiar with.Or is Herbsaint a liqueur'd anise?
The Guy has a floral taste to my taste buds that I find to be delicious.The
Emile and Kubler have it but to a lesser degree.These absinthes give you a
hint of the taste of vintage,notice I said a hint.They taste much more like a
> good la bleue,especially Kubler which is a la bleue as far as I can tell.A
pretty good one too.All three are better to my tastes than the spanish
absentas.
Though I will say that I really do like Segarra.To me these are better than
La Fee and in my humble opinion so is the new Pernod 68.Basically a person
just has to go by what tastes good to them,these taste good to me.And I like
Oxygenee as well.Frankly Betinas la bleues are even better than these to me.

By Tabreaux on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 09:48 pm: Edit

A. Guy is not like Versinthe, Manguin, or other liqueurs d'anise that have been 'recycled' into 'absinthe'. It does not have a heavy anise flavor typical of modern liqueurs d'anise and some brands of pastis. It does however have a pronounced flavor that you will find to be a staple feature of pastis, but not typically liqueurs d'anise. This flavor is quite atypical of antique absinthe.

Oxygenee does not have much in common with antique absinthe. If the sugar was removed, it would be quite different (probably nasty).

By Absinthesque2 on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Well, it has been a while since I've had Ricard or other Pastis. . .and you are right, I was thinking of Pernod, but I still maintain that the Guy has none of the heaviness of the Ricard or Pastis that I remember from years ago in France. It is certainly superior to Manguin or Versinthe. On the whole, I think Oxy has more in common with vintage, but I can't stand the sugar.

I'd be interested to have some elaboration on the difference between pastis and liqueur d'anise. I did think Pernod was a Pastis.

Nevertheless, I stand by my view that the Guy is on a par with the best La Bleues.

Mark

By Tabreaux on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I believe you may be confusing pastis with liqueurs d'anise (e.g. Pernod). The two are not the same, and I am not referring to liqueurs d'anise.

By Absinthesque2 on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Hi Ted,

Sorry, I just don't agree on this one, though I don't think we've differed much in the past. To my taste, it has almost none of the anise flavor of pastis is not nearly as sweet and is more complex and herbal.

Mark

By Tabreaux on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 04:23 pm: Edit

I have the Francois Guy. IMO, it tastes remarkably like pastis. That isn't saying it is a 'bad' product. It just isn't what I expected.

By Absinthesque2 on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I recently received the new French and Swiss Absinthes -- Francois Guy, Emile and Kubler -- from Betty who has always done right by me. All three are excellent, on a par with the best La Bleues -- actually more complex than most -- and superior to any of the Spanish brands. While some might dock them a point for being low in alcohol (45%), this has its advantages; Wolvie's Verte (which is my favorite La Bleue) can be a little overpowering sometimes; and these have a much more refreshing quality. All seem to be made with natural ingredients, without sugar or artificial color and probably without oils. Of the three, I would rate the Guy highest; it is a pale green that louches out almost white, sweet enough to drink without sugar but with a bit of a bitter finish, complex and herbal, reminiscent of Larsand but much more subtle. The Kubler is not quite as complex, with a nuttier flavor. The Emile is the least interesting of the three but is still quite good. I will still enjoy my Serpis and NS 70 from time to time, and these are hard to get and pricey, but they really do set a new standard among commercial brands.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation