The real recipe for original Pernod 68

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: The real recipe for original Pernod 68
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through March 27, 2002  25   03/27 10:50am
Archive through March 28, 2002  25   03/28 05:43am

By Verawench on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:22 pm: Edit

For you, Artemis. The tree rat could use some company.

weom

..and you just can't do any better than a drunken pussy.

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

its called "mental masturbation" ... it keeps you regular.

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Thats as may be, so next time someone uses a word that describes me as something undesirable, shall i just tell them the word has desirable roots, thats just irrelevant.

The meaning of arrogance in its current form is : "Proud and overbearing through an exaggerated feeling of ones superiority."

Sure if i split fuckwit up and analyse the way the two words have evolved, i could probably come up with some innofensive permutation, but what the fuck relevance would that have to the conversation.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Quote:

Arrogance. From the Latin 'arroganza'.

Arrogare, actually, but the meaning was right.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:00 pm: Edit

How prosaic. Hardly anything is legal and legitimate any more.

Less every year.

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:29 pm: Edit

"Get a cheque from Mommy?"

No, I earn my money working for a legitimate, legal enterprise

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:43 am: Edit

Arrogance. From the Latin 'arroganza'. To claim what is one's own. (Justin can correct any mistakes.)

Guilty, m'lud.

What's timk's excuse?

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:41 am: Edit

Actually I'm a sweetheart. I make my living extending hospitality and 70% of my patrons come back for more. My graciousness as a host is know worldwide. I make $100,000 a year that way net and gross about $250,000.

And what do you do, Lord Kelvington, to pay for your Dupont lighters? Get a cheque from Mommy?

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:37 am: Edit

How about arroance combined with a genuinely vile personality?

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:37 am: Edit

ok, stop calling eachother nazis.

its killing me.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:37 am: Edit

Whoops, Admin, that one got posted afore I saw your post.

Feel free to delete.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:35 am: Edit

Yes, Obersturmbahnfuhrer Kelvington, Absintheur is a backbiting fascist swine of the poison pen sort just like yourself.

"Absintheur, he only has one ball,
Kelvington has two, but very very small.
Himmler
has something simmler
But Dr Ordinaire has no balls at all!"

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:35 am: Edit

ok folks, don't turn this into a mud slinging fest.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:31 am: Edit

Age and experience, kiddo, will always win out over callowness and stupidity.

You ball-less Brit asshole.

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:26 am: Edit

"He had become an intellectual bully"
Pot-Kettle

"He demonstrated that the only reason that he doesn't give a Hitler salute is that the appropriate arm is off."
You really are a nasty motherfucker

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:03 am: Edit

You know, timk, you really deserve Ordinaire. You make a lovely couple of assholes.

Absintheur quit after I addressed him by his FIRST NAME. I did not expect him to quit, he had never made a secret of his first name in his private emails, and never made a fetish out of privacy on the forum the way that Artemis does. No one was more surprised than I when he reacted the way he did.

I believe he quit for his own reasons and that the use of his first name was just an excuse to do what he intended to do anyway.

Am I sorry he quit? No. He had become an intellectual bully and had burned many of his bridges on here. But did I orchestrate his departure? NO.

Anyway Absintheur proceeded to conduct a cute little poison pen campaign in private emails. Nice, huh? He demonstrated that the only reason that he doesn't give a Hitler salute is that the appropriate arm is off.

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:48 am: Edit

"And Artemis, has anyone published any real details about you?

There are people here who have such details, myself included, since you gave them to me (and presumably to others).

But I haven't made use of that trust and I am not aware that anyone else has.

Your position on anonymity is well known and has been stated by you many times."

Like Absintheur you mean?

By Artemis on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 07:01 am: Edit

"Aion, Artemis' phrase was that while his own motives were academic, others were more concrete.
"I assumed, perhaps erroneously, that this meant something beyond drinking their own products"

That assumption was incorrect. I meant only that I wanted to learn HOW to make absinthe, they WERE making absinthe. I was the research arm/idea bouncing board/guinea pig of a team effort. To this day, the individuals in question only drink their own products, and occasionally share them GRATIS with very lucky people.

"why didn't you regard publishing (or just appearing in) several photographs of yourself at the NOLA gathering a possible source of problems for you?"

As for the appearing in, I was very drunk, and couldn't find my ass with both hands. I've done a lot of things I later regretted, when in such a state. As for the publication, that was done without my knowledge and without my permission. I DID regard it as a source of possible problems, but fortunately, the publication was done on an obscure website by an individual who has since left the forum, so I didn't make an issue of it. I did later replicate one of the photos here, myself, but only to break Ordinaire of the idea I was female.

"That wasn't a handy dandy Mission Impossible rubber mask, was it?"

No, it was the face God gave me, a deadly handsome visage at that, praise the Creator and my even more handsome grandfather, who passed along his genes.

"Seems a little inconsistent."

I don't agree.

"Anyway, feel free to not answer should it be inconvenient."

You asked, I don't mind answering honestly.

"It's not important"

Agreed. And so I let it rest.

By Artemis on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 06:49 am: Edit

I'm not defending Ordinaire, I defend the choice of anybody here to remain anonymous unless they do so for dishonorable reasons. I want no part whatsoever in the dispute between Ordinaire and Ted and Don.

"And Artemis, has anyone published any real details about you?"

I never said they did. I said the possibility disturbs me.

"By the way you never told me, Artemis, that some of the people you were "sharing" information with had commercial aspirations."

I never told you because I wasn't aware of any such thing. The people to whom I referred in my original circle of HgM friends do not now, nor have they ever, to my knowledge, had any such aspirations. If you're referring to a certain individual from Germany:

1. He was not in that circle
2. I "met" him relatively recently
3. He is not one of the people who came along later and surpassed us; he might have, but I don't know because I have never tasted his product.
4. I was blissfully unaware that he had any connection with any commercial enterprise until very recently, as several people in this forum can attest, because I privately sought their opinion about it.
5. Whatever he's learned, he didn't learn it from me.
6. When I learned of that individual's alleged commercial connections, after considerable soul-searching, as several people here can also attest, I decided to drop altogether a project in which I had intended to include him, rather than have to face telling him he would not be included for that reason. Because whatever else he is, he is a very nice guy.

One last thing - if my "name" had not been mentioned here, putting words into my mouth, I would not have returned at all.

I'm content to be gone, please be content to let me be.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 06:28 am: Edit

Aion, Artemis' phrase was that while his own motives were academic, others were more concrete.

I assumed, perhaps erroneously, that this meant something beyond drinking their own products -- after all even Artemis' academic motives allow him to enjoy that.

And Artemis, your quite understandable concerns about your privacy notwithstanding, why didn't you regard publishing (or just appearing in) several photographs of yourself at the NOLA gathering a possible source of problems for you? That wasn't a handy dandy Mission Impossible rubber mask, was it? A la Martin Landau?

Seems a little inconsistent. Anyway, feel free to not answer should it be inconvenient. It's not important.

By Aion on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 06:11 am: Edit

Artemis,
good that you are back again after a long time.

"By the way you never told me, Artemis, that
some of the people you were "sharing" information with had commercial aspirations."

Don, I´m sure none of these people has commercial
interests. Where in Artemis´ post did you find
indications for that?

But I´m not absolutely sure that this is true
for some people here Artemis did NOT share
his knowledge with.
(Think I´m starting to get paranoid too).

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 05:43 am: Edit

By the way you never told me, Artemis, that some of the people you were "sharing" information with had commercial aspirations.

HAD you done, naturally, I wouldn't have been so charitable with my knowledge.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 05:30 am: Edit

And Artemis, has anyone published any real details about you?

There are people here who have such details, myself included, since you gave them to me (and presumably to others).

But I haven't made use of that trust and I am not aware that anyone else has.

Your position on anonymity is well known and has been stated by you many times.

As to Ordinaire I was complaining that while Ted and I post under our own names and our professional scientific publications are available to search via Chemical Abstracts and similar systems at libraries and/or online -- who is Dr Ordinaire? How does one search for his (nonexistant) peer reviewed scientific publications? He demands something of Ted that he is unwilling to be dubmitted to himself, and in my book that makes him a coward. In addition to being a spiteful jealous wannabe.

Anyway by all accounts you have missed little by not tasting his "effeorts". If you really want to, ask Ordinaire (or Marc.)

By Artemis on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 05:13 am: Edit

Quoting Don:
"Indeed, the current crop of Haugemachters would have no rudder and no goal if they hadn't tasted one of Ted's 4-5-6-more definitive absinthes. Starting with Artemis, who has said so."

I don't think I said that, but I probably said something similar. To be clear, I became associated with some HgMers at a certain point. My interest was mainly academic, theirs was more concrete. We were all involved in the pursuit of an authentic product. That was our "goal". Our definition of "authentic" was a product fit to be called absinthe, something that a person of 1900 would recognize as absinthe. Imitating any given 1900 product was not a possibility, because we had none to imitate. Like Ted before us, we were starting from scratch, but we had not his resources (100-year old samples, chemistry lab, chemistry training). Therefore imitating Ted was also not a possibility. But we endeavored to persevere, and long before any of us tasted anything Ted had made, we were confident we were on the right track, because of my historical research, their hard work, and, to give credit where credit is due, tips and pointers from Don Walsh, who without sharing Ted's proprietary information, gave us invaluable reality checks on matters of chemistry and practical distillation. The day came when I saw Ted face to face, talked to him, and tasted his product. Then I KNEW we were on solid ground, because what my friends were making was much more like Ted's than anything available from Spain or anywhere else. Ted also got to taste my friends' product, and although he was obviously not very impressed, his frame of reference is different from ours. We could live with that. So it's not accurate to say we had no rudder and no goal without Ted, but his absinthe was definitely a reassuring signpost (L'Absinthe - 20 Km) that we were not only on the correct road, but almost home. Since that time, other HgMers have matched or surpassed us, and I consider that a very good thing.

I have actually tasted at least seven different products made by Ted, and every one was formidable. I've tasted so many different products now, I've lost count, but very few matched, and none surpassed Ted's. Whatever else Ted may or may not be, those are the facts.

For what it's worth, I have never tasted anything made by Dr. Ordinaire.

Quoting Dr. Ordinaire:
"Don, Ted, do you really mean that? Everybody who posts under a pseudonym is a: 'handle not a person, you are not subject to scrutiny' ... "
and
"I don't think so. Artemis would not agree with that."

First of all, I don't agree that Don are Ted said that. They didn't say *everybody* who posts under a pseudonym, they said *you*, Ordinaire. But speaking for myself, I don't intend to be "subject to scrutiny". I have nothing to hide, but plenty to protect. The dozens of people here who have met me in person, or with whom I've shared personal details by email, can attest to the fact I am more than a "handle". But the possibility that anyone here might someday decide that I'm undeserving of the privacy that a pseudonym affords, and publish "real" details about me, is precisely what caused me to depart from these premises.

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:39 am: Edit

head-shop

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:14 am: Edit

Atually, this situation is very easy to understad.

While I was a compliant turd, my absinthe was great.

The moment I started questioning the Forum's Sacred Cows, my absinthe started tasting like shit.

The problem with you, Marc, Kallisti, Pablo and other toadies, is that my absinthe has gone to Europe. Darn, it has gone to America, but I don't expect people here to vouch for me.

MMMhhh, would some European absintheur defy the local gods and tell about my brew...?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation