Today is history ...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Today is history ...
By Etienne on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Chev;

You talking about me? I'd love to get to a gathering, but I'm in SW Michigan, not Japan!

Of course there are times that I could wish...

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:08 am: Edit

I go to the Expo whenever I get the chance ... that's where I get all my specs, man. I don't think I know your friend, but I'm sure I've seen him there.

By Chevalier on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:55 am: Edit

Clowns usurped the style, man.

Something similar happened to 1920s tin pan alley tunes. The guy in charge of music for Warner Bros. cartoons was a movie theatre organist back in the '20s. Guess what type of music went into Bugs Bunny shorts? And that's why people today associate 1920s songs with cartoons.

By Baz on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:50 am: Edit

I know a ton of people are going to dig those shoes, but to me they look like clown shoes!

By Chevalier on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:44 am: Edit

Deal. Doesn't the Vintage Fashion Expo hit S.F. in December? Perhaps we could meet there. A great friend, Ben McGinty, has done the show for years. Has a store called "Underground" in Altadena, CA. Maybe you know him? He just picked up these late 1920s Art Deco mens shoes on eBay:
my picture
my picture

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:35 am: Edit

Chev ... definately inform us of your plans, we'll hook up. We'll have a mini taste fest, I've got plenty to share. And Mr. Campbell is moving to SF, so you'll have it all!

By Chevalier on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:29 am: Edit

Marc,

Thank you for your offer, honestly. I've never been to Vegas, but I'm planning on visiting L.A. (and San Francisco? Beth? Rebecca?) in late December/early January. Everyone from Hunter S. Thompson on down says that Vegas is a trip, so I'll try my best. It would be a hell of a trip to meet a forumite who knows Jello Biafra.

What I implied by those "Marc, send absinthe!" posts was this: It's a blessing to receive gift horses, to forge bonds that span states and continents, to give and be given, and all because of a drink. Who would have thought that absinthe could lead to friendships? South America is fun, it's my choice to live here; but it's also isolated and separate, especially from the people around here. Sometimes that's a good thing! But mostly it's not. Perhaps expats like Etienne (in Japan, correct?) and Don (in Thailand) know what I'm talking about. (Petermarc excepted, since he lives at absinthe's ground zero.) Would Etienne, Don and I enjoy a NOLA-style gathering? Sure we would. But time, distance, and/or cost make our being there unlikely. That's life. But it also sucks.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 06:19 pm: Edit

El Marco,

You don't want it, I'll take it. What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. I'm a garbagegut when it comes to alcohol.

By Marccampbell on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

lars,

what is the name of the poison Betty sent you?

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 06:12 pm: Edit

"Kallisti, I tried but I'm weak."

Lars,

Try being indifferent. It does work. Loved our talk last night. I thought of the funniest thing regarding that whole speeding thing. I really think we would stop because THERE IS NOTHING WORTH CRASHING INTO. Haha.

love,
Wench

By Larsbogart on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Marccampbell:
If you really are a collector of absinthe I'd be more than happy to send you some of the poison shit sent to me from Betty. Of course it was free need I explain?
Ok here goes the whole can of worms:
Even the one that gave me a headache for a month and a steel coppery taste in my mouth. Pretty bottle though. Your welcome to it.
Bring it on Betty...My days here are numbered
anyway.
Kallisti, I tried but I'm weak.
larsbogart

By Marccampbell on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:28 pm: Edit

and swill it is.

chevalier,

if you're ever in Vegas, I'll be more than happy to lay some of ordinaire's "absinthe" on you. I am keeping the bottle and its contents because I collect absinthe, even bad absinthe.

I had no intention of posting a review of ordinaire's "absinthe". It was a gift and I felt it would be ungracious to say unkind things about it.
But, in light of his attacks on Ted, I couldn't hold my tongue. ordinaire had it coming.

I am not an expert on absinthe. I have tasted all the domestic brands and perhaps a dozen homemade concoctions. While not being an expert, I do know what I like and I do know what a decent absinthe is supposed to taste like. ordinaire's misbegotten
creation is the shittiest homemade "absinthe" I've tasted. It is so bitter and one-dimensional that it makes Hill's seem complex. I detect no flavor in ordinaire's brew other than what might perhaps be wormwood. Though it could be golden seal or any number of bitter herbs. The only thing that I could compare ordinaire's "absinthe" to is peyote tea. But, with peyote there is a reward for enduring the taste.

This is the second time (that I can recall) that jorge has set himself up for a big fall. He seems to have a taste for humiliation. Perhaps a visit to Don's House Of Pain is in order.

and for those of you who think I am a shill for Don and Ted, go screw yourselves. I have never tasted Jade. And I wonder if I ever will. Ask me if I care?

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Or, it seems:
Live by the swill, die by the swill.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

By Etienne on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 03:50 pm: Edit

In Absintho Veritas

By Chevalier on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 03:45 pm: Edit

... Or is it? Today were posted two clearly negative reviews, by well-respected Forum members, of a familiar (if controversial) forumite's hausgemacht. They seemed to stop Dr. Ordinaire in his tracks; he hasn't posted since. And that's the way it is.

So have we crossed a Rubicon here? Or was this no big deal, inevitable really? Does it matter at all?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation