Archive through March 29, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Is this what I returned for?:Archive through March 29, 2002
By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, March 29, 2002 - 02:34 am: Edit

"Fact is, the only HIV problem in Thailand is in the lying media and phony WHO statistics. "

Sure, Don. The media lies. The World Health Organization lies. Dr. O lies.

It's one huge right wing conspiracy against Donald Walsh. Yep, Don, you are THAT important...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, March 29, 2002 - 01:33 am: Edit

I don't know, Kallisti, maybe my Alzheimer is getting worse, but I seem to remember that after the Moulin Rouge tasting you got into Don's shit-list because you praised Dr. O's brew...

By Pablo on Friday, March 29, 2002 - 01:19 am: Edit

So Marc, about your huge cock.........

By Marccampbell on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 05:23 pm: Edit

actually, I could imagine Wilde saying that to Verlaine. I'm sure those absinthe-sodden fops were quite thin-skinned

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Can you picture Oscar Wilde looking over at Verlaine and being all like "remember two years ago, you said you weren't fond of my waistcoat? Well FUCK YOU, BUDDY!"

And flouncing off in tears?

Cause right now, thats what we are all doing. We are smarter than this, we are better than this, and doggone it, people like us...

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 02:43 pm: Edit

"Don't be such a snide little prick especially to your hostess, you rude motherfucker you."

Yes, I disagree with her policy, but the point is, you had a go at Dr. O for being rude to Kallisti, when you have on more than one occasion been rude to her.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit

And I still disagree with it, nor am I the only one.

For that matter, I believe you do too. Haven't you said as much?

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:27 pm: Edit

says the man who has repeatedly insulted her wrt. her forum banning policy introduction

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:47 am: Edit

Extremism in the defense of Kallisti is no vice.

By Timk on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:24 am: Edit

" especially to your hostess, you rude motherfucker you"

Erm!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:22 am: Edit

She did not pretend to be an absinthe making expert Dr. Bigshot.

You did....and you failed.

She has virtues you'll never possess.

You are only an oxygen thief.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:19 am: Edit

Don't be such a snide little prick especially to your hostess, you rude motherfucker you.

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:16 am: Edit

And you don't make any at all.

I haven't made any for three years, as I was never much interested in the time and bother of distillation. But my experiements did give me a nose for herbs and balances for which I am grateful. I'm fine with it if my opinion doesn't matter to you. But if you're gonna smack MY forum's seal of approval on it, then I'm going to give you my opinion. I'm not trying to be unfair, but don't try and silence me just because I didn't like your product. Whatever. All products have to start somewhere.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:08 am: Edit

Kallisti, thanks for the Forum, but I was not thinking of you when I spoke of the "Forum's seal of approval". You macerate your absinthe. That shows how much you know...

By Admin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

Hob, I agree with where you're coming from, but Ted's right, at least on my part it just wasn't a big deal at the time. There never was any call for folks to chime in to say what they think.

I had a couple sips around a table of 10 or so people. Several brews were making the rounds. No one asked me my opinion so it was never offered. Same with a few other folks. I'm just countering the "forum seal of approval" that was being paraded when I knew that simply wasn't the case. A couple people liked it, some thought it interesting, and some did not like it at all. This does not constitute "gift horse" syndrome. The question was just never posed to a general audience, and I don't see anyone actually changing their tunes, unless someone can scare up reviews where folks said otherwise. I do feel it is a bit late in the day to make statements such as this, but when mass approval was being used as the lynch pin to an argument, I felt "forum seal approval" kind of included me, I thought I should say something. I didn't expect anyone else to chime in, I didn't know others had tasted it aside from the folks at that cocktail gathering.

And, btw, that was last summer, not two years ago.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:59 am: Edit

Ted,

As I say I'm not taking sides and I have no wish to get involved in the current slanging match.

Hobgoblin

By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:04 am: Edit

LH,

Nobody really cares about Jorge's homebrew.

He attempted to be clever in his renewed cycle of attacks on others. He did not expect to be judged on his own twisted terms, where his credibility failed the litmus test....miserably.

The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding has already spoken volumes. He is not receiving anything he did not openly invite.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:28 am: Edit

I am taking no sides in this but have been watching from the sidelines.

Just pack it in, the whole lot of you!

There is no need for people to come crawling out of the woodwork rubbishing Dr O's product. Aion, have you even tasted it? If not then you're in no position to rubbish it. And Blackjack, if you liked it in September then you liked it. To insinuate that if you knew then what you know now, you wouldn't have liked it is irrelevant, the past has gone and doesn't exist anymore. It pleased your taste-buds when you tasted it so in your judgement it was good. Your post turns a compliment into an insult.

I haven't tasted Dr O's product so I can't comment. I have tasted 3 Jade absinthes and I found 2 of them to be excellent (and 1 was not to my liking). I posted to this effect on the forum just after I tasted the products.

If people don't like a product they should say so openly at the time and not be deceitful by nodding positively (or saying nothing) and then waiting until many months or years later to slate it. If you don't like someone's product then you can say so with manners and dignity. I also believe people should stand by the comments they have made and if they have made no comments at the time then be consistent and stay silent.

This has all gotten way to nasty. It's one thing for Dr O and Don to have a raging argument and attempt to hack each other's limbs off with verbal swords, that's fair enough. It's another thing for all and sundry to join in on one side with their own little daggers.

Hobgoblin

By Mkmiller on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:14 am: Edit

none shall pass.

By Chevalier on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:48 am: Edit

Black Knight:
"Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!"

By Raschied on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:41 am: Edit

A proper quote of the Black Knight is "I'll bite your kneecaps!"

King Arthur said "What are you going to do, bleed on me?"

Raschied
--Ministry of Herring--

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:40 am: Edit

Oxy, as I recall, the now merely torso'd Black Knight's parting taunt was

"Come back, ya pansies! I'll bite yer kneecaps off!"

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 08:37 am: Edit

Damiana Liqueur is cloyingly sweet and treacle-like. To cut the bitterness.

I have no objections to Damiana other than its non-traditional status as an absinthe herb and the difficulty that the flavor presents in terms of balance. Balance is not just important; it's essential.

By Oxygenee on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 07:56 am: Edit

In case there's anyone out there who has NOT seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, let me briefly recap:

King Arthur's way is blocked at a small bridge by the Black Knight. Naturally, a sword fight ensues, and whoosh! off flies an arm of the Black Knight. King Arthur, assuming the battle to be over, congratulates the knight on his bravery, but is surprised to hear the reply, "It's only a flesh wound. fight, you coward!" More sword play and again, chop! Now the other arm flies off. Surely now the Black Knight will have the sense to admit the battle is lost and graciously accept defeat. But as Arthur attempts to cross the bridge, the crazed and now armless Black Knight commences kicking the King of England in the rear! Arthur warns the nutcase "dis-armed" knight to stop. He doesn't. Chop! Off comes a leg. Now will he concede the fight? No- now he starts hopping on his one remaining limb, and ignoring Arthur's pleas for peace, starts bumping into the King. Arthur can take no more. Slice! The Black Knight, reduced to a limbless bloody torso, continues to taunt King Arthur with charges of cowardice, and "come back and fight!" and "I'll bleed on you!!".

Of course, like Ordinaire, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 07:31 am: Edit

Quote:

Now that I'm tipping sacred cows my HAUSGEMACHTS STARTED TASTING BAD...

My opinion is exactly the same as the one I had in September: the color was nice, but it was too bitter and needed a lot of sugar or sweetened lime juice to be enjoyable. It was interesting, in part because the quinine-like bitterness of the damiana masked the alcohol, but I really like gin-and-tonics...

The main differnce is that, since September, I've had some significantly better non-commercial products, so I'm a little harder to impress.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation