Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ATTENTION!, Reviewers & Assorted Riffraff
Artemis
post Apr 11 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I've begun adding reviews to the new Buyers Guide forum.

If anybody has done a review and doesn't see it there, send me a PM and let me know about it.

The links were not functioning due to an error induced by the software when I naively entered them the way I would in a word processing program, thinking that would suffice. I've learned something today. Thanks to Head P. for helping repair the links.

To save me a lot of work in the future, PLEASE:

Don't make references to illegal drugs in any absinthe review. If you do, I will delete the reference and maybe not use the review at all.

Don't be stupid. You can't dock an absinthe on color because you don't like the color of the bottle. You can't deduct points for a perfectly acceptable blanche because you like green better than blanche.

Please format reviews EXACTLY as you see them here. For example, 7/10 not 7(10). Capitalize what I've capitalized, etc.

Use a s p e l l i n g checker.

If you're American, use American s p e l l i n g. I can tolerate "colour" from a Brit, not from somebody from Long Island.

I have the authority from Oxy to delete any review that's outrageous or so far from the mean as to be useless to a buyer. I haven't done that yet - behave and I won't have to.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 12 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Another thing: anonymous reviews are acceptable. I don't mean using your pseudonym, I mean "anonymous" or "name withheld by request" will be listed as the reviewer. This is possible by PM-ing me with your review (or PM-ing Oxy, but he's just going to send it to me anyway so you might as well save a hop).

Personally I don't agree with this, but Oxy thinks it will encourage noobs and other timid types to do reviews, and I can see his point.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
jacal01
post Apr 12 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Danse McCobb

Group: Members
Member No.: 1467

But if I had an adequate basis of comparison and some cause and effect sense of ingredients and balance, I wouldn't be a noob, would I?

Not sure how useful my reviews would be, especially on a grading level.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 12 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #4

Master of Oblivion

The owner of the site (Oxygenee) welcomes reviews from any and all. If the review is so off-base for the product reviewed as to be uninformative or even deceiving, or if the reviewer obviously has no clue what he's talking about, the review won't be published. I have only dealt with one such review so far. If the reviewer merely can't tell what's in the absinthe (I often can't), or doesn't agree with other reviewers, that's no sin.

I used noobs as an example. There could be any number of reasons someone would not want his name on a review. One of these is that people might be afraid to go against the perceived "consensus", especially when it comes to well-regarded products, such as Jade, LDF, etc. This is Oxy's main reason, I think, for allowing anon reviews.

Whether you personally are a noob or not, I can't say. You seem wordy enough - put some words together and see what happens. Nothing to lose - nobody will be ridiculed in public for reviews they submit in private that aren't used.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Head_prosthesis
post Apr 12 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #5

The original "red headed sausage wrangler"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

The links were not functioning due to an error induced by the software when I naively entered them the way I would in a word processing program, thinking that would suffice. I've learned something today. Thanks to Head P. for helping repair the links.

I'm not convinced the software had
anything to do with it, but whatever.

Thanks justabob for bringing it to our
attention.
+Quote Post
jacal01
post Apr 12 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #6

Danse McCobb

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2005, 06:48 PM)
You seem wordy enough

Ya think?

Here's the thing. At this point I'm only interested in making a run on the blanches, mostly the Swiss products and down to and including BdF. Or maybe even UEB and White Fairy. That ought to give me some feel for quality and balance in the basic distillate ingredients. But the vertes I'm not really interested in sampling, or at least buying, outside the Jades, since I get the impression that everyone else pretty much has gotten it wrong so far.

That puts me smack dab on the high end of the price scale, and I figure to pace myself with some affordable quality wines which are locally in abundance, and without the courier S/H overhead. But that seriously handicaps any comprehensive review I would write.

As opposed to someone like hartsmar. You read his reviews over at his web site and he loves them all. You have to get pretty far down into the censensus foul stuff before you find a disparaging note. I think you have to have developed a pretty wide taste tolerance to be a true absinthe aficianado. And I don't expect I'll ever get to that point.

But who knows? Maybe I will try my hand at a review, even if I couldn't attribute a particular subjective quality aspect to an ingredient or finish. I do know what I like, simple enough.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 12 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Master of Oblivion

I'm not convinced the software had
anything to do with it, but whatever.

If the software worked like good software should and allowed one to highlight text and apply a tag, there would have been no problem. Instead, using the "http://" tag results in the software asking for a "name" in addition to what has already been typed in, which is the same thing frusty.gif . In trying to supply what the software wanted, I typed more than I should (apparently) and things got messed up. On the other hand, maybe I'm just too stupid to be here. I suppose I should be grateful this software doesn't insert words I didn't write at all into my posts.

Oh wait ...........

Thanks justabob for bringing it to our
attention.

He brought it to your attention, not mine. Old habits die hard.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 12 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #8

Master of Oblivion

But the vertes I'm not really interested in sampling, or at least buying, outside the Jades, since I get the impression that everyone else pretty much has gotten it wrong so far.

Let's see - you don't feel you're perceptive enough to do reviews, but you can tell that everybody else has gotten it wrong.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Apr 12 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #9

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2005, 09:23 AM)
If you're American, use American s p e l l i n g.  I can tolerate "colour" from a Brit, not from somebody from Long Island.

I'm not British (or from Lwong Oyland), but I learned to read & write from mostly British children's books (grandparents are Welsh and they gave me lots of books), which might explain the "ou" instead of "o" spellings.
If I submit any reviews in the future, I'll use Amerkin spellun.

+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Apr 12 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #10

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2005, 10:39 PM)
But the vertes I'm not really interested in sampling, or at least buying, outside the Jades, since I get the impression that everyone else pretty much has gotten it wrong so far.

Let's see - you don't feel you're perceptive enough to do reviews, but you can tell that everybody else has gotten it wrong.

Well, given that nobody else's green Absinthe is the correct col"o"r, it doesn't take an astute reviewer to recognize that the only naturally colored Absinthe to get it right is Jade.
+Quote Post
Head_prosthesis
post Apr 12 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #11

The original "red headed sausage wrangler"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

In trying to supply what the software wanted, I typed more than I should (apparently) and things got messed up. On the other hand, maybe...

No board software author in their right mind
would allow html code in posts. It leaves the
board open to malicious scripting. That is the
sole reason they use proprietary code.

Malicious activity is a privilege reserved for admins.

I'm just too stupid to be here.

I wouldn't say stupid.

+Quote Post
Greenmeanie
post Apr 12 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #12

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 36

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 11 2005, 12:23 PM)
If you're American, use American s p e l l i n g.  I can tolerate "colour" from a Brit, not from somebody from Long Island.

When I was in high school on LONG ISLAND, I had a popous English teacher who was never wrong. I took up the habit of s p e l l i n g with the "ou" (colour, neigbour, etc). It would piss him off immesurably but he couldn't do anything about it because, technically, I was correct. His only caveat was that the first time I didn't spell it that way he'd zing me. Never happened!

I have gotten out of the clour habit but neighbour is still a tough one.

--------------------
Guns kill like absinthe made Lanfray murder his family!
+Quote Post
jacal01
post Apr 12 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #13

Danse McCobb

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 12 2005, 05:26 AM)

I’m only assimilating what I’ve read here of the comments from long time enthusiasts, included yourself (no Frenchmen...).

If you do have a viewpoint to the contrary, then by all means, expound. I’m all ears. I am exactly here to learn and benefit from your experience, inclusive.
+Quote Post
justabob
post Apr 12 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 12 2005, 05:16 AM)
He brought it to your attention, not mine.  Old habits die hard.

I actually did bring it to your attention with a public post, which was later deleted by head to preserve continuity of the thread.

It was an honest mistake Artemis, no big deal. I am not an HTML expert I simply noticed the link was bad.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
justabob
post Apr 12 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

Artemis I have heard you called many things, stupid has never been one of them.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 09:33 AM