menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

109 Pages V « < 107 108 109  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newly Rated Absinthes, Post Absinthe's Not Yet Rated Here! (otherwise, post in approp
OCvertDe
post Nov 11 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #1621

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 11 2014, 05:30 PM) *
Or is it that the numbers got in the way of the truth somehow, and I think that's possible for sure.
The more reviews I did, the more I felt like this was happening. Which is why I gave up. Drink it or sink it (preferably with some general explanations) works well enough for me.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 11 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #1622

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The more reviews I did, the more I felt like this was happening.

Same here. I tried several ways of saying so in my previous post and wasn't happy with any of them, so I gave up on it. But that's what happened.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 12 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #1623

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Yeah, even with respected reviewers it came down to the numbers being too fair, I mean, if I can't drink it why give it any score at all?
Drink it or sink it works, except for the the middle ground, where you drink it just because it ain't horrible and maybe it's cheap.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Nov 12 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #1624

Vaginafly trap

Member No.: 2953

Value.

An incredible product can be devoid of value because its price outstrips ever being able to attain it. Many feel this way about pre-bans. It's a question of economics, clearly. Those who can afford them value some of the pre-ban marks immensely.

Conversely, an undrinkable product is not of value at any cost.

Similarly, a buyers' guide that leads one to purchases one often regrets has little value. Although within the guide one may ferret out opinions that one finds to have greater and lesser values. But in all instances it requires some investment, whether of time or money or both, to make the comparisons.

Drink it or sink it simplifies things greatly. And dispenses with a lot of obfuscating high-minded bullshit. It would certainly make the process of judging at the Absinthiades a lot more entertaining. Might even make the results more edifying. Couldn't possibly make them less so.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Nov 12 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #1625

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

I mostly agree though I see the unobtainable pre-bans as benchmarks of what Absinthe is or should strive in the general direction of.

Also, I like the descriptions of aroma, louche and flavor profile. The numerical ratings are useless as opinions are subjective and quality comparisons, along with the education of tastes changes over time.

I can see a vivid description followed by a "drink it or sink it" rating though even that is subjective and there could be a third category of "shelve it," I've got a few bottles of varying lesser quality collecting dust which are either slightly too good to sink or that have nostalgic value. On rare occasions, I've seen improvement over time or my tastes have changed.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Nov 12 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #1626

I agree. Keep everything as it is, but get rid of the numerical score in favor of "drink it or sink it"… and thanks to everything else, we'll already know why.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Nov 14 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #1627

Novitiate

Member No.: 4141

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Feuille morte or cognac, beautiful and deep, with brilliance. No haze, sediment, or faults of the like.

What's the point making brownish - Feuille morte colored absinthe nowadays (except a oak-barrel aged ones)? To make it look antique or maybe to hide the low quality herbs which were used? sleepy.gif
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Nov 15 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #1628

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

Raisonée Marron

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Nov 15 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #1629

QUOTE(darkend_163 @ Nov 14 2014, 05:57 PM) *
To make it look antique

^

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Nov 15 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #1630

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

Good question. It is 72% ABV so it should not have turned brown (according to some experts, not me) in one year or so… I'm going to mix some of it with a la bleue and see/smell/taste/sink what happens.

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Nov 16 2014, 01:43 AM
Post #1631

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

The ABV doesn't matter if they used brown herbs. There are a lot of other things that will do it too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 19 2014, 12:31 AM
Post #1632

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

High alcohol content won't guarantee that it won't turn brown (as we can see with vintage samples) it's just more likely to turn brown faster with lower alcohol content. 72% was thought to be the magic number to keep it green back in the day, but they gave no thought to how it would look in a hundred years - it was made for immediate consumption. As for making it brown on purpose, it could be a faux antique, probably not to hide anything. But Kirk is right, it could be a lot of things.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
darkhorse
post Jun 17 2016, 02:51 AM
Post #1633

Member No.: 3213

my first absenthe revew I was actually amased that I was able to log into the forum with my old id

did not see this stuff in the buyers guide as mentiond in the revew I would love to get an expernced absenther to try this stuff . Anybody live in manitoba canada ?

IPB Image

here is the distillary link fyi

http://babayagaabsinthe.com/

BABA VAGA

The absinthe comes from Arbutus Disillery located in vancover island canada

the distiller states that they use herbs grown from the distillarys garden

it has a natural light green color given the bottle design i was reluctant to purchase it as the fancy packaging made me think it migh be a product with artifical color . After given a full explantion by the staff at the liquor mart I decided to purchase it . I was warned by the staff that parts of the herbs used in the distillation process would be in the bottle .

Reviewed by Dark horse 6/16/2016

COLOR BEFORE WATER 2/10
The color before water was a light green color a note upon opening the bottle i did see small black what seemed to be dried leaves floating in the bottle .

LOUCHE ACTION 3/10

there was a louche but nothing spectacular a change from a light green to a pale yellow green

COLOR AFTER WATER 1/10
no real signifcant color change changed from light green to a light yellow green color

AROMA 3/30
I actually did see some sort of white mist like oil floating on the top of the glass and there was a very strong smell as i have a very poor sense of smell the fact that it was noticlble to me means that it was very strong it was hard to describe it was not mint but the smell was not unplesent . it was definatley a herbal smell of some type

MOUTH-FEEL 1/10
I think i may have put to much in at 60 percent there was avery strong alchole bite along with that very strong smell

TASTE 1/20
this was not unplesent reminded me of the taboo i had tasted seemed to be a similar product

OVERALL IMPRESSION 3/10

I am very new at this so i was very cautious in not giving to high a score to this product. however I will most likey buy it again
I like it becase it does seem to deliver all that the producer says is in the bottle .
would i recomend it for a first time absenthe user I would not . This is a small batch made product that seems to have a uniqe taste and feel to it As such It would not be something that you would give someone and say so this is absenthe how do you like it . There certianly seem to be some diffrent herbal ingredents used in it .

PERSONAL NOTES

should you purchase this ? It is expensive as i paid in a manitoba lc $59.40 for 750 ml but it unusual and all natural so I would sugest not to purchase at to high a price . But it would be good for something different I would love to get someone with a little bit of a more refined pallet to try it .

Dark horse scores BABA VAGA 14 out of 100
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Jun 17 2016, 09:53 AM
Post #1634

Your palate is far enough along for me to not want to bother trying anything that you only mustered a 14 for.

--------------------
+Quote Post

109 Pages V « < 107 108 109
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 12:54 AM