Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greetings from New Member
lautremont
post Feb 15 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4294

Hello from Utah-

I'm delighted to be here to share thoughts, experiences, and knowledge with this community.

I fully intend to produce a commercial absinthe within the next few years, so it's appropriate for me to officially join the dialogue here. I've been sampling absinthe from across the world for several years now - from my first flaming shot of Hills absinthe in Bratislava, to my first visit to an absinthe bar-hidden-behind-a-bar in Prague in 98, and later discovering what absinthe really was in Spain, Switzerland, and France. Now I'm thrilled that New World styles are emerging in the US.

So hello! and thanks for having me. Here's virtual toast to this absinthe community!

abs-cheers.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Feb 15 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Welcome.

Glad you've tried some actual Absinthe after experiencing that Czech swill.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Feb 15 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #3

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

The new proverbial fire water. Welcome!

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
L'Assommoir
post Feb 15 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 4078

Greetings! And good luck with your venture!
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Feb 19 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

Hello, and welcome!

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Mar 14 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Can't get right

Member No.: 4120

QUOTE(lautremont @ Feb 15 2016, 12:58 PM) *

from my first flaming shot of Hills absinthe in Bratislava, to my first visit to an absinthe bar-hidden-behind-a-bar in Prague in 98, and later discovering what absinthe really was in Spain, Switzerland, and France. Now I'm thrilled that New World styles are emerging in the US.

I don't really care much for the "New World styles" of absinthe, I much more prefer the "Old World styles". Why do new distillers seem to think they need to improve upon time honored traditions? Is it the whole salesman mentality of today? That everything has to be marketable to a new generation to make it profitable. Personally the most simplistic recipes I've tasted seem to be the best. Old World distillers worked awfully hard to get it just right, and now you've got people coming along who with a "first flaming shot of Hill's" and then maybe trying one or two modern brands, all of a sudden think they should do it differently. I just don't get that. Maybe that's why so many of the new brands coming out now just aren't very good, because they all want to add their own "style" to it to make it unique., instead of sticking to the meat and potatoes of what absinthe truly is.
And maybe I'm wrong.

(Not pointing fingers at lautremont in particular, just venting in general.)

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Mar 15 2016, 01:04 AM
Post #7

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Unpleasant products come to mind when you say that and there are plenty of them, made by people who do not know how to make absinthe, so they call it a new twist. An herb bill and a nineteenth century protocol are no help without an understanding of how essences are made; not a simple distillation.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 03:42 AM