> New guy in town..., an absintheur from Mexico
tomateradio
post Apr 19 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 664

Hi, to everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I live in México and have tried the La Boheme Original Absinth (first experiencie, sucked), La Fée, Alandia's Strong 68 (which I really like, any thoughts on that one?), Serpis (don't really like the color, love the flavor), and I am waiting for a bottle of Amer 72. Still haven't tried the so called best ones, but I think I will soon.

I first knew abaout absinthe from Bram Stoker's Dracula (the movie). Back then I thought It looked sexy and mysterious, and then Marilyn Manson (one of the bands I love) was talking about it and I knew right then it was something not a lot of people knew about and fascinating.

My fav vendor is Alandia, Mike has been really kind and helpful. Well.. I guess that's all the info I'm giving as for now.

So... keep dancing w la fée verte

--------------------
"I think that God's got a sick sense of humor and when I die, I expect to find him laughing."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Apr 19 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #2

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

The Amer is really quite nice, but as to the remainder of your absinthe choices, I'd say,why waste your money on mediocre absinthes, with all those wonderful estate mezcals available in Mexico.

I'd go for a bottle of Pechuga.

Try the absinthes from LDF..they are pretty much the best commercial offerings out there, and the shipping is lightning fast, and insured.

Welcome to the Madhouse!

Cheers!!! absintheglass-glow2.gif

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Conju
post Apr 19 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Proprietor of Useless Information

Member No.: 285

I'll throw some reccomendations to you and the other newbies around here,

If you like tea: Get the fougerolles
If you like blanche, get the Kubler 57
If you like a bitter: get Segarra 68, it's very flavorful, but it is expensive.

I'd reccomend them in that order, although I would almost put the Kubler at the top of that list, because it doesn't have the coloration step and is a little more basic then most of the stuff out there, but is still a great stepping stone into the world of absinthe. Those three, in my opinion, are the fast track to a good foundation of knowledge in the absinthe world. You may also want to pick up a book on it and read it while sipping your drink. I would highly reccomend A myth always green, It is a wonderful book done by great people.

Cheers and welcome!

--------------------
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 25 2005, 01:33 AM) *
(I'm still waiting for my 'welcome')

Not so. You sent me a PM long ago and I didn't tell you to fuck off and die. What do you want, cheetos?
+Quote Post
deam
post Apr 19 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 311

Hello and welcome!
abs-cheers.gif
+Quote Post
tomateradio
post Apr 19 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Hey, thank you for the welcome cocktail!!!

So you like mezcal, right Absomphe? Well I'm not that fond of them. Don't get me wrong, I like tequila and mezcal, but my choice would be bourbon or (modern) absinthe. Though now I surrender to the seducing of la fée verte as I hate feeling really drunk.

I was looking forward tasting one of those La Bleues (hope I got the right spelling).

Ohh, I almost forgot... Does absinthe decay if you store it in a place where sunlight comes in? I mean... sunlight doesn't hit the bottles directly, but it's a sunny place.

By the way... I only like to mix absinthe with Red Bull, but the way I drink it the mot is the french one... Any good advice on that?

best

--------------------
"I think that God's got a sick sense of humor and when I die, I expect to find him laughing."
+Quote Post
MrGreenGenes
post Apr 19 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #6

Fringe Dweller

Member No.: 212

The best advice is to keep your bottles in a dark place. If you want to impress your friends, take them out only when they're coming over.

What are the absinthe laws in Mexico? Are Americanos living in CA, AZ, NM and TX better off driving south instead of ordering through the 'net?

--------------------
sig line under construction
+Quote Post
tomateradio
post Apr 19 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #7

Absinthusiast

Well, about absinthe in Mexico. It's illegal as well. The best news is that, if US customs don't know crap about absinthe, Mexican customs know a hell of a lot less. Even though wormwood is a well known herb in folk culture in this country, absinthe is far too exquisite for their knowledge. I've read the Health Secretary Law about drugs and herbs, and it clrearly states that nobody can produce wormwood-based products, but then again it doesn't say anything about owning a bottle.
There are some markets here in Mexico where they sell wormwood as a medicine, and everytime you mention the word –"ajenjo" in spanish– they think you're speaking about the herb. We also call absinthe 'absenta', but I think that's actually just for the spanish people.

I don't think it's a good idea to get across the border to buy some. If they sell it, it surely is mexican home made, and there have been lots of problems with that sort of products, about 8 years ago, some people went blind by drinking home made rum from some towns near the border.

Thank you for the advice on keeping absinthe in dark places.

Regards

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Green Hour
post Apr 20 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 576

Welcome Tomateradio!

I live near La Frontera, (on the other side). Btw, I think the Law has changed. Since Absinthe is now being openly advertised, and sold at Bars in Cancun, and Tijuana.

Unfortunately, the only brand that i've seen is "Czech Strong." Which is very low quality. But, you may not have to worry about Customs at all if you import some of "the good stuff."

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
"Color of Absinthe
Scent of Time,
Never will I be
as Before..."

- Serge Gainsbourg
+Quote Post
tomateradio
post Apr 20 2004, 04:33 AM
Post #9

Absinthusiast

Well, don't take my word for truth but... I've read somewhere that Czech Strong is actually made in Mexico, so I guess that's the reason they have no problem selling it. Besides, Mexican authorities are easily corrupted. I don't think the law has changed about wormwood and absinthe, it's just that no one gives a damn about them.

Thanks for the welcome.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Green Hour
post Apr 20 2004, 05:02 AM
Post #10

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 576

FWIW, I saw the Czech Strong website, before I discovered this Place. They claimed that Mexico and the Carribean (Sp?) had recently changed the Law as part of a Trade Agreement with the E.U.

Of course, I don't trust what they say.. since they hype their product with the usual nonsense about thujone, aphrodisiac effects, and they're making the best absinthe ever.. but, they also had accurate info. about Absinthes recent availability in Japan, etc. So, I'm crossing my Fingers that it's true.. since it would be a nice opportunity to enjoy absinthe legally.. just across the Border from me.

--------------------
"Color of Absinthe
Scent of Time,
Never will I be
as Before..."

- Serge Gainsbourg
+Quote Post
tomateradio
post Apr 20 2004, 05:17 AM
Post #11

Absinthusiast

Yeah, that might be a great chance not to get screwed up the local authorities. I live in Mexico City, and there are some bars that sell absinthe, but they sell that same Czech crap, so I guess it's not so great news for me.
I really just don't get this illegal condition, absinthe is harmless compared with other crap they disguise as food.

Bacardi... that's such a putrid liquid with a nice label –I love the bat. Just the smell of it is enough to remind you of the last time you puked till your stomach came out of your mouth, and here in Mexico it's a big hit.

Then, I think one of the things we love about absinthe is that it's almost a secret. That adds to the ritual.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 06:30 PM