menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?, Any good novels to recommend?
Artemis
post Apr 22 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #16

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

what are you currently reading,

A road map.

and what recommendations can you make?

Love in the Time of Cholera

just finished it.

I CAN'T recommend The Hill of Dreams (Machen). I've waited years to read that, finally found it, and am disappointed - still struggling just to finish it. It's like slogging through a briar patch.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maldoror
post Apr 22 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #17

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 82

I really loved Machen´s White People and Great God Pan. Haven´t read The Hill of Dreams. His books are really hard to find...

--------------------
La vie rend Fou!
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Apr 22 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #18

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Great God Pan is what captivated me about Machen. Since Hill of Dreams is said to be his masterwork, my expectations were high. I suspect it's autobiographical, the struggles of a young writer disgusted with the publishing business in England at the time. It's certainly not in the same vein as Pan. I found Dreams on the Internet in full - search and you'll find it. It's full of typos, though ........

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Abnorman
post Apr 23 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #19

Billy the Squid

Member No.: 508

QUOTE (Maldoror @ Apr 22 2004, 03:01 PM)
Billynorm: Have you read Lachman´s latest "The Dedalus Book of the Occult"? I´ve been thinking of ordering it soon. Turn Off your Mind was interesting and well researched.

I knew nothing of its existence. Who published it? Is it another Disinformation book?

--------------------
"Parfois un cigare est seulement une banane." - G. A. Lanfray
+Quote Post
Maldoror
post Apr 23 2004, 08:11 AM
Post #20

Absinthusiast

QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 22 2004, 03:15 PM)
Great God Pan is what captivated me about Machen. Since Hill of Dreams is said to be his masterwork, my expectations were high. I suspect it's autobiographical, the struggles of a young writer disgusted with the publishing business in England at the time. It's certainly not in the same vein as Pan. I found Dreams on the Internet in full - search and you'll find it. It's full of typos, though ........

Yeah, found it too! Thanks! abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
La vie rend Fou!
+Quote Post
Maldoror
post Apr 23 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #21

Absinthusiast

QUOTE (Billynorm @ Apr 22 2004, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (Maldoror @ Apr 22 2004, 03:01 PM)
Billynorm:  Have you read Lachman´s latest "The Dedalus Book of the Occult"?  I´ve been thinking of ordering it soon.  Turn Off your Mind was interesting and well researched.

I knew nothing of its existence. Who published it? Is it another Disinformation book?

It´s an english publisher Dedalus (www.dedalusbooks.com). You can get the book
from amazon.co.uk.

--------------------
La vie rend Fou!
+Quote Post
Gertz
post Apr 23 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #22

Scandi Mobster

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 134

QUOTE (turangalila @ Apr 22 2004, 07:46 PM)
Milton and Dante are both worth reading. I think that the Inferno is easier to get into than Paradise Lost.

I have read the Divine Comedy with some friends for a couple of years now. We've read it loud for each other. When we finished, we started all over again - this time outdoors, in a nearby park, acting it.

During the winter, however, we've mostly stayed indoors, recording it instead as a sort of radio drama.

--------------------
So it goes.
+Quote Post
The Green Hour
post Apr 24 2004, 04:20 AM
Post #23

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 576

LMV:

I just read the Alexandria Quartet a couple of Months ago. To me, it's an Amazing series of Books.

Though all the Books pretty much cover the same period of time: There is a Plot twist in each Book, that completly changes ones perspective of the Story, and how one views each Character. Not an easy trick to pull off! I thought those Plot twists, and the "Poetic Prose" were fuckin' Brilliant.

The only book that dragged for me, was Mountolive. Btw, the right order for reading them is:

Justine
Balthazar
Mountolive
Clea

Currently, I'm reading another series of intertwined books, by a writer of the same Era as Durrell: Anais Nin.

"Cities of the Interior" is similar to the Quartet. She was a master of Poetic Prose also.. I'm just about done with "Ladders to Fire." But, still need to read "Children of the Albatross," "The Four Chambered Heart," and "A Spy in the House of Love."

It's kind o' cool, there was an Absinthe referance in Ladders to Fire:
" With this he drank fully from his Pernod, drank indeed as if the stream of absinthe, of ideas, feelings, talk, should pass and change every day guided only by his thirst."

I'm also reading a couple of non-fiction books:

"The SeShual Life of Catherine M." written by a French Art Critic. Her Story makes "Fear of Flying" sound like a Childrens book..

and I'm also reading: "Absinthe, a Myth Always Green" LARS!.gif

I just got my Copy in the Mail and I'm really enjoying it. Thank you Pierreverte and Artemis!

absintheglass-glow2.gif

--------------------
"Color of Absinthe
Scent of Time,
Never will I be
as Before..."

- Serge Gainsbourg
+Quote Post
deam
post Apr 24 2004, 06:37 AM
Post #24

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 311

Absinthe: A Myth Always Green is a great read; I couldn't put it down. It would be cool if books could fist-fight: Absinthe: A Myth Always Green v. Absinthe: Sip of Seduction. I understand that, if you've read the 2, there's no contest; it'd just be fun to see.
+Quote Post
LaMuseVerte
post Apr 24 2004, 06:38 AM
Post #25

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 640

I would positively agree with the order - again, with the dragging I can understand, especually with Mountolive. I liked Justine tons, and I'd recommend it to anyone - even those who don't have an interest in reading all 4 books.

I'll check out Anais Nin, thanks. Finding such good books are difficult - at least with the style we both like (which we agree upon it seems). Again though, on a more basic level (so to speak) and yet still full of beautiful images I'd suggest A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.

I have read the Divine Comedy with some friends for a couple of years now. We've read it loud for each other. When we finished, we started all over again - this time outdoors, in a nearby park, acting it.

Wish I was hanging out with you guys.
+Quote Post
Abnorman
post Apr 24 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #26

Billy the Squid

QUOTE (deam @ Apr 24 2004, 01:37 AM)
Absinthe: A Myth Always Green is a great read; I couldn't put it down. It would be cool if books could fist-fight: Absinthe: A Myth Always Green v. Absinthe: Sip of Seduction. I understand that, if you've read the 2, there's no contest; it'd just be fun to see.

If it was a battle royale among the authors, editors, translators & contributors, I'm afraid Sip Of Seduction would win. It has a four to three advantage, and if you've ever seen photos of Ted Breaux & Artemis, you'd know who'd win that match up. And there's no love lost between Marie-Claude Delahaye (who's not an absintheuse) & Benoît Noël, from what I've been led to understand...

--------------------
+Quote Post
dangerousangels
post Apr 24 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #27

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 570

In no particular order.
Francesca Lia Block: Ecstasia, Primavera, Dangerous Angels
William S. Burroughs: Anything.
Neil Gaiman: Anything (though American Gods can drag) I must say Neverwhere is incredible, and my favorite of his, stardust runs a close second.
Eduardo Galeano: Upside Down(listed as fiction, you can decide that for yourself though)
Manly P. Hall: Secret Teachings of All Ages(KICK ASS BOOK)
Anais Nin: Collages, Cities of the Interior, House of Incest
JG Ballard: ANYTHING. Just anything. Crystal World, Crash, Running Wild, the Atrocity Exhibition, Empire of the Sun.
D.H. Lawrence: The Man Who Died
Darcey Steinke: Suicide Blonde
Albert Hofmann: Plants of the Gods
William Gibson: anything, Burning Chrome is one of his best.
Nizami: Layla and Majnun(where Eric Clapton REALLY got the inspiration for the song)
Frank Miller: 300
Stanislav Grof: LSD Psychotherapy
Terence McKenna: Food of the Gods
Nick Cave: And the Ass Saw the Angel, King Ink 1 and 2
Steven Jesse Bernstein: I am Secretly an Important Man, More Noise Please. His other books are out of print but very worthy to find.
Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea(I LOVE THAT BOOK)
Octave Mirbeau: The Torture Garden
Mediaeval Baebes: Songs of the Flesh
Arthur Kroker: Spasm
Isabel Allende: this woman is a goddess, everthing she writes is awesome.
And I just finished Dogeaters by Jessica Hagedorn
Absinthe Sip of Seduction is my favorite of the absinthe books.

--------------------
My friend she will undress,
an now she's...boxing clever.
+Quote Post
deam
post Apr 24 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #28

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 311

QUOTE (Billynorm @ Apr 24 2004, 01:22 AM)
If it was a battle royale among the authors, editors, translators & contributors...

What I meant by the fist-fight thing was more content-of-one-book vs. content-of-the-other. When I read Sip of Seduction I found the content lacking; it seemed almost as though the book I was reading was an abridged version of what the book should have been. A Myth Always Green, on the other hand, was almost exactly what I was expecting, content wise.
+Quote Post
Abnorman
post Apr 24 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #29

Billy the Squid

QUOTE (deam @ Apr 24 2004, 02:01 PM)
What I meant by the fist-fight thing was more content-of-one-book vs. content-of-the-other. When I read Sip of Seduction I found the content lacking; it seemed almost as though the book I was reading was an abridged version of what the book should have been. A Myth Always Green, on the other hand, was almost exactly what I was expecting, content wise.

I knew exactly what you meant, I was just riffing. Look here.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Raschied Britannica
post Apr 25 2004, 03:55 AM
Post #30

Absinthusiast

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 35

High Comic art - definitely Neil Gaiman's Sandman novels. Also see anything from Alan Moore, like Watchmen, The Killing Joke, and Swamp Thing 27-33.

Novels I've read lately -

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I've reread this series many times now. It gets a bit too heavy on the metaphysics after the first book, but I still enjoy it. Can't wait to see who they cast in the movie.

Carter Beats the Devil - by Glenn David Gould. An interesting read, set mostly in early-20th century San Francisco. Carter was a real magician, but this is all fiction. If you travel, you probably saw it in every airport in the country last year. worth picking up.

Inferno - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle - Dante's Hell from the viewpoint of a sci-fi writer.

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown - I liked this one better than the DaVinci Code.

Gunslinger series - Stephen King - Now that the Bastard has finished the series, I can finally recommend it. The Dark Tower is the glue that holds all of King's universe together. Eagerly awaiting publication of books 6 & 7.

Any of the Cyberpunk series by William Gibson. Burning Chrome, Neuromancer, and Mona Lisa Overdrive still have a shiny chrome spot in my heart.

Job: a Comedy of Justice by Heinlein. Multiple Universes, and the Church of the Everlasting Orgasm. Classic.

The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher. I recently bought these for my 12-year old son, since they were a favorite of my pre-teen childhood. Christopher added a 4th book, a prequel, since the last time I read it. Still great stuff.

No list would be complete without my personal "guilty pleasure" - the original 5 Amber books by Roger Zelazny. Start with "9 Princes in Amber" and stop with "The Courts of Chaos." I'd love to see SciFi make a miniseries out of these.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 11:53 PM