menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 17 18 19  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?, Any good novels to recommend?
OCvertDe
post May 19 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #271

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

I don't want anyone who's stupid enough to want to be president to be president. Which sort of cancels out… well, government in general for me.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post May 20 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #272

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Reminds me of the Hitchiker's Guide, the only people that would want the job are the people who should least have it. I see Sanders as a rare exception though -- a throw back, a New Dealer. He's no saint but he is an authentic populist with more integrity than we are used to seeing.

Politics is a filthy business but we all feel the effects of government whether we like it or not. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Dealing with it at all may increase ones drinking.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post May 20 2016, 01:57 PM
Post #273

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Can I bait someone into arguing about where to go to the bathroom?
I like Bernie but he's a Brahmin and out of touch with the real world, I'd just as soon vote for Cheech Wizard.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post May 20 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #274

Absinthe Mafia

I think he's far more in touch with the real world than anyone else in the running. So do folks I've had the pleasure of meeting and listening to like Col Wilkerson who worked under Colin Powell and Ex high-ranking CIA analyst Ray McGovern. Both decent men of integrity with inside knowledge that would rock your boat.

Unlike others who have less information or who are outright neocons. I could never support Hillary Clinton, come what may. Then again, given the choice between Trump and Clinton, Cheech Wizard doesn't sound like a bad choice.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post May 20 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #275

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Cheech isn't running but I'd like a shot at voting for Bernie. I never liked Hillary.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post May 20 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #276

Absinthe Mafia

Another thing I'm reading is Intelligence in Nature by Jeremy Narby. Seems everything from slime mold to birds to plants to proteins show levels of sentient intelligence and complex decision making. Even fish.

Renaissance westerners always said natives, where ever they found them, anthropomorphized nature. The reality is they were right and properly respectful of those around them. Where those wasichus saw resources, everyone else understood their neighborhood.

As for voting, I'm backing Bernie but beyond that, my vote is for Old Overholt.

--------------------
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post May 20 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #277

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

I'm reading The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker. Because my pop-in-law decided all of his daughters should read it, and gave my wife a copy. She hasn't read it, but I figured… why the hell not?

It has caused me to seriously re-asses the way I comport myself to strangers. Now, the object of the book is to get people (women, in particular) to learn to trust their instincts and accurately assess the danger of given situations. I figured I could learn some things too. On the contrary, what I learned is that I come off disturbingly similar to the people the book warns it's readers to look out for. Huh. Well, shit.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
G&C
post May 23 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #278

Still Master

Member No.: 282

9 Presidents…

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Jun 7 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #279

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Kirk @ May 18 2016, 08:10 AM) *
I find the further left or right I seek, the more I meet the other and finding myself further from the middle ground I go all the way, and so. . . come back around.
It was neither a vocation nor a particular gift that pushed me to write, but quite simply the enigma posed by a man I had no chance of finding again, and by all those questions that would never have an answer.
--P. Modiano

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 17 18 19
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 02:01 AM