Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what's the appeal
musicfan20
post Apr 28 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I'm curious as to what the attraction is to absinthe. I just heard about it recently and then found this website. According to the FAQ absinthe is not hallucienegenic and i've heard quite bitter and licorice flavored. Is it a different type of buzz like wine? Just curious. groupwave reversed.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjordan
post Apr 28 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Cozy Nostril

Group: Members
From: Kickin' it East Coast style...for now (in other words Beantown [Boston])
Member No.: 223

R U Serious?

The appeal is a personal experience that only you can define for yourself. Try some and then report back. That is your assignment.

gun thug.gif

Sorry, I thought about it and I guess you deserve a respectable response. That isn't an entirely idiotic question. And the answers are as varied as the people here on the board. Actually my advice to try some and then report back is good. For only you will be able to find what it is about absinthe that appeals to you. That is if you have about eighty to a hundred buck to play with. I'd suggest ordering from LDF, maybe a bottle of Un Emile 68 or a VdFougerolle, the basics, and starting from there.

gun thug.gif

This post has been edited by rjordan: Apr 28 2004, 10:05 PM

--------------------
"…In this, the real absinthe, there is wormwood. It's supposed to rot your brain out but I don't believe it. It only changes the ideas…" E.H.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Apr 28 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #3

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

Absinthe is the Devil's Playground.

It is pure evil...

Avoid it, at all costs.

It makes you crazy! wacko.gif

Seek salvation, before it is too late, and you become damned, like the rest of us!!!!

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
musicgeek
post Apr 28 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #4

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 381

But it's just so damn tasty!!!

I may no longer have a soul, but my liquor cabinet is full!!!!
+Quote Post
verbal_kraze
post Apr 28 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #5

Filthy F@#king Swedish Pervert

Member No.: 415

It's different for everyone, what the appeal is.

There a too many reasons to list as to why I love it.

The taste (somewhat similar to black licorice, but way more complex, consisting of a number of different herbs my favorite being fennel)

The history-

The Secondaries- Not everyone get's them, but I sure do. It sure isn't hallucinating, more of a very clearheaded alchohol buzz, and body high similar, IMHO, to marijuana.

All the work that goes into making it.

The ritual of preparing a glass, and all the Absinthiana that goes along with it.

These are just a few of the reasons i love absinthe, and am willing to spend so much money on it.

--------------------
Bush eats Kittens I tell you......Kittens!!!
+Quote Post
Conju
post Apr 28 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Proprietor of Useless Information

Member No.: 285

I'm broke. That's why I like it. Money is a bad thing for me to have, because then I go to tastings and spend my money on absinthe and not my rent.

--------------------
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 25 2005, 01:33 AM) *
(I'm still waiting for my 'welcome')

Not so. You sent me a PM long ago and I didn't tell you to fuck off and die. What do you want, cheetos?
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Apr 28 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #7

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

It's a beverage surrounded with legend and steeped in tradition. Like many drinks, a path to light and a road to perdition.

Yes, at first whiff and taste, the first thing most people think of is licorice; but upon further inquiry, the herbal flavors bloom on your palate like a gustatory melody. Some absinthes are like Brahms, some like Satie, and some are more like Einstürzende Neubauten.

What others call the "secondary effects" but I prefer to call simply "the absinthe effect," is very subtle in terms of what most people expect out of an altered state of consciousness these days. It's more like a "different kind of drunk," like the differences between wine and whiskey and beer. It's a heightened feeling of mental clarity and alertness combined with a mellow body-buzz, all on top of ordinary alcohol intoxication. If you're expecting to trip or feel stoned, you'll walk away disappointed.

It's a romantic drink. A tremendous amount of craft goes into its making. The better offerings are the product of knowledgeable artisans who struggled with old and often incomprehensible formulas to bring back this historic beverage from the very brink of extinction.

Your mileage may vary.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
dangerousangels
post Apr 28 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 570

I don't think one can find a sexier or more refreshing drink.
And it's just hot. All of it, the history, the ritual, the absinthiana.
It has it own prohibition still going on in America even!
Lookie there its own little prohibition still going on 80 plus years after the Prohibition act was lifted..
Certainly gives the drink a "bad boy" image.
All seriousness aside it is a damn tasty drink.
Bitter? Even without using sugar in your ritual, it is great!
I have not encountered truly bitter absinthe, even the amer72 is not that bitter. Of course this site led me away from the dark path of czech absinth before I set foot on it, and my understanding is that is very bitter indeed.

If you follow rjordan's advise and get the UE 68 and the VdFougerolles, that is some great advise...splurge and get the three bottle deal and get the sapin. It is my hands down favorite. I used to reserve the hot days of summer for me and margarita, I dumped her for Sapin's sweet smile.

Verbal_Kraze's point is also very well taken on secondaries.
I get them, he gets them. Not everyone does. For me, like Verbal, I find it to be similar(albeit much milder) to marijana.
It doesn't get all up in your head like other cocktails.
Until about the 4th glass.....then you are on your own.
welcome
abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
My friend she will undress,
an now she's...boxing clever.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Apr 28 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #9

Le maistre d'appastate

Member No.: 127

I just like an excuse to get drunk.

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lęchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
sixela
post Apr 28 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #10

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (musicfan20 @ Apr 28 2004, 11:53 PM)
i've heard quite bitter and licorice flavored. Is it a different type of buzz like wine? Just curious. groupwave reversed.gif

It's not quite bitter (that's why you distill it -- macerate wormwood in anything and don't distill, and you'll know what I mean), and the liquorice-ish taste comes from green anise - not quite the same as liquorice root, certainly much more subtle and fragrant.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Apr 28 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #11

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

QUOTE (dangerousangels @ Apr 28 2004, 03:52 PM)
Until about the 4th glass.....then you are on your own.

My favorite slogan:
"It gets you there. Getting back is up to you."

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Apr 28 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #12

Cozy Nostril Originale

QUOTE (Hiram @ Apr 28 2004, 03:51 PM)
It's a beverage surrounded with legend and steeped in tradition. Like many drinks, a path to light and a road to perdition.

Yes, at first whiff and taste, the first thing most people think of is licorice; but upon further inquiry, the herbal flavors bloom on your palate like a gustatory melody. Some absinthes are like Brahms, some like Satie, and some are more like Einstürzende Neubauten.

What others call the "secondary effects" but I prefer to call simply "the absinthe effect," is very subtle in terms of what most people expect out of an altered state of consciousnees these days. It's more like a "different kind of drunk," like the differences between wine and whiskey and beer. It's a heightened feeling of mental clarity and alertness combined with a mellow body-buzz, all on top of ordinary alchohol intoxication. If you're expecting to trip or feel stoned, you'll walk away dissappointed.

It's a romantic drink. A tremendous amount of craft goes into its making. The better offerings are the product of knowledgable artisans who struggled with old and often incomprehensible formulas to bring back this historic beverage from the very brink of extinction.

Your mileage may vary.

Damn, that's beautiful, Bruddah!!!!!

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Apr 28 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #13

Cozy Nostril Originale

QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Apr 28 2004, 03:52 PM)
I just like an excuse to get drunk.

You're free, white, and over 21...

Why would you need one? harhar.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
verbal_kraze
post Apr 28 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #14

Filthy F@#king Swedish Pervert

Member No.: 415

Yeah Hiram, that was beautifull, my thoughts exactly. I just didn't take the time to put it in such eloquent words.

--------------------
Bush eats Kittens I tell you......Kittens!!!
+Quote Post
G&C
post Apr 29 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #15

Still Master

Member No.: 282

Indeed Hiram! abs-cheers.gif

(Would you do me a favor though and decide which avatar you're going to use.) viking_emoticon.gif

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 10:43 PM