Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yet another Maxim inspired newbie...
Depth Afield
post Oct 24 2003, 05:42 AM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

Have been curious about absinthe for many years and the much talked about article in Maxim peaked this curiosity. After doing some blazingly fast research online (read that as very little), I fired off an order to SC for a bottle of Lehmann’s. Eighty dollars poorer, I was now the proud owner of what amounted to a rather smallish bottle of expensive green syrup. The Lehmann’s was drinkable, but much to my disappointment, it did not louche. This apparently, is because it lacks anis. It was also overly sweet.

My second order is now in the postal system somewhere between myself and Barcelona… Two bottles of Segarra. I am looking forward with great anticipation my first evening alone with this purchase. Many thanks to the contributors of this forum that have shared their experiences with the various brands on the market. My Segarra order was based on what I have read here Wish I had found this website prior to buying the Lehmann’s. Oh well, we all have to start somewhere, true?

A question or two for the regulars…

Is the brand or type of sugar used in the preparation of ones glass of abs hugely important? Or is this a matter of taste? The Seggara, I have read, is sufficiently sweetened straight from the bottle, so this will likely not be an issue with this brand.

A topic that I’ve found little information on (here or anywhere else), is absinthe “essence”. Gert Strand AB, as everyone here is no doubt aware, sells this stuff. They claim this is the same essence as sold to some commercial producers. True? Bullshit? Is it to be considered the same as the dry product sold for home maceration? Since I’ve read nothing about the product in this forum, I can only assume it is not worth further interest.

Many thanks in advance for any and all responses to this post.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pataphysician
post Oct 24 2003, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Dadasopher

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 53

absinthe “essence”. Gert Strand AB, as everyone here is no doubt aware, sells this stuff. They claim this is the same essence as sold to some commercial producers.

If that is true, you would just end up with something like those (crappy) commercial products. Your instincts are good -- avoid such chicanery, including maceration -- and enjoy your Segerra. Wise choice.

--------------------
I like many other people have a theory
+Quote Post
justabob
post Oct 24 2003, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

Segara is my favorite, and IMHO does not require sugar, just mix 3 to 1 with very cold water.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
Gertz
post Oct 25 2003, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Scandi Mobster

Member No.: 134

QUOTE (Depth Afield @ Oct 23 2003, 09:42 PM)

The Seggara, I have read, is sufficiently sweetened straight from the bottle, so this will likely not be an issue with this brand.

As far as I know, Segarra isn't sweetened with anything but the anise, but that doesn't mean that it is particularly bitter. I have never had any absinthe among those available that couldn't be drunk without sugar (OK, a czech one that I tried once was virtually undrinkable, but I doubt that sugar would have been of much help ...).

That said, I still like my Segarra with a single lump of sugar. It kind of enhances the subtleties of the flavor, IMHO. Diluted 1:1, not a single tiny drip more.

In the end, that's of course all a matter of taste, so you'll just have to try. Enjoy ...

I've never tried Gert Strand's stuff. I only know he is based in Sweden, a country where one single brand of absinthe is available in the liquor stores - Pere Kermann, which to me looks like a french attempt to make something like Hill's (!). If his stuff is what they use, it's probably not worth considering.

--------------------
So it goes.
+Quote Post
Sheepprofessor
post Oct 27 2003, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 18

Sugar use is totally a matter of personal prefference. I almost never sugar, and I don't think that I'm alone in this. When I get a bottle of something new, I usually try it both with and without sugar, just as a reference point, but I usually decide to leave it the way that god made it.

I've got enough sugar in my diet already.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 27 2003, 08:13 PM
Post #6

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

I like that line in Snatch: "Sugar for your tea?"--"No thanks, I'm sweet enough".
+Quote Post
Depth Afield
post Oct 28 2003, 07:50 AM
Post #7

Absinthusiast

Many thanks to all that have written in response to my post. Sadly, as of this writing, my Segarra has not yet arrived. When it does however, I will partake of this beverage using the knowledge gained in this forum.

Perhaps a bit out of bottle, perhaps a bit with water… Perhaps a bit of sugar added. I will keep you posted. Again, many thanks.
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Oct 28 2003, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

Since you ordered two bottles of Segarra, I hope you like the taste of Oak. Unlike any of the others, his absinthe is aged in Oak barrels.

Un Emile 68 is probably the most recommended absinthe on this board, so think about giving it a try next time.
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 28 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

I still like Segarra though. It is simple, oak flavored, but yummy. It tastes like real good booze. And that is a plus.

+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 28 2003, 09:04 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

Oh, and Senor Segarra is real cuddly lookin'...

Full article:
http://www.beautyandruin.com/absinthe/segarra.html
+Quote Post
Depth Afield
post Oct 30 2003, 07:55 AM
Post #11

Absinthusiast

Well! This has been an interesting evening to be sure! Unfortunately, my Segarra has not yet arrived, but a friend has loaned me a bottle of Serpis for the night.

Am working on my third drink of this red fairy, and I must say that I am impressed. Granted, my only other absinthe experience has been with Lehmann’s (which is best suited to pouring over pancakes, in my opinion).

My mix with the Serpis is about 1:4. No sugar added, as a quick taste test determined that this stuff was sweet enough straight from the bottle. The louche as the iced water was dribbled into the glass was wonderful to watch. Much like a tiny storm developing. The smell of anis was very present. I expected the taste to be strong in anis, but was pleasantly surprised that it was subdued, as is the alcohol “burn”. The Serpis leaves a pleasant citrus like after taste.

There are many bad reviews of this product online… Cannot say that I agree with them. A bottle of Serpis will likely be included in my next order.

Kallisti:

Many thanks for the link to the Emerald Quest site. A very interesting read! Now, more than ever, I am stoked to pop open a bottle of Segarra!

+Quote Post
sixela
post Oct 30 2003, 09:41 AM
Post #12

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Depth Afield @ Oct 30 2003, 09:55 AM)
> The Serpis leaves a pleasant citrus like after taste.

That's probably the melissa. Of course, that's also what makes some people refer to some Spanish absinthes as "lemon pledge". DarthVader2.gif

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Oct 30 2003, 04:37 PM
Post #13

Liquorista

Member No.: 22

>Many thanks for the link to the Emerald Quest site. A very interesting read!

unfortunately, i could never figure out why vera only posted half of the story on her site, especially at that point, which makes it seem like we were about to be kicked out of the distillery...
kallisti, if you can ever retrieve the whole original thread with the story, i would like to have it, since my hard-drive crashed and i don't have my original any more. it already seems like ages ago and i can't believe how much i have forgotten...

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 31 2003, 04:33 PM
Post #14

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (sixela @ Oct 30 2003, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (Depth Afield @ Oct 30 2003, 09:55 AM)
> The Serpis leaves a pleasant citrus like after taste.

That's probably the melissa. Of course, that's also what makes some people refer to some Spanish absinthes as "lemon pledge". DarthVader2.gif

I don't know about some people, but I originated the term "lemon pledge" and melissa (lemon balm) is not at all what I had in mind.

Rather, I intended to describe an over the top, chemical, artificial lemon oil character (as in furniture polish, or possibly a liquor made with a not very dissimilar oil).

Melissa, in quality absinthe, is used not at all in the base and only in tiny amounts in the coloration. You'd hardly know it was there.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Oct 31 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

I originated the term "lemon pledge"

shock.gif I thought *I* had originated it. Hahaha!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 07:19 AM