Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cigars and such, Yeah I'm such a picture whore
Symbiote
post Oct 27 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Les chats y tiennent!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1056

My humidor was looking a bit lonely with only 4 cigars left in it so I decided it was time to place an order with JR Cigars. I haven't had a Macanudo in a long time so I added a box of the Petit Coronas with a free Calibri lighter to my cart and proceeded to checkout. During the checkout one of the windows asks if you want to see the weekly special. I was curious so I clicked on the link. If you buy a box of Montecristo series IV or V you can get a Barrister book case humidor hobby kit for $48. How could I pass that up? I paid more than $60 for my little chest humidor. Well I didn't pass it up. It hurt me to buy such expensive cigars, but I got a nice humidor out of the deal.

user posted image

Look at the size of that thing!!! I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to fill it up. Trying could be fun though. I'm not going to bother to set it up unless I'm overflowing the smaller one.

It felt good to sit down and relax with a good cigar last night.
[sing]These are a few of my favorite things.[/sing]
user posted image

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
I admit, Captian that I was drunk and disorderly, but it wasn't my fault. I was hit by a French absithe shell!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brett
post Oct 27 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Highland Absintheur

Member No.: 30

Careful if you ever decide to try and bring Cubans back in to the US. Apparently they are really taking a hardline on that.

--------------------
"I can't sell Bjarne's paté, it tastes like jockstrap." - The Green Butchers
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Oct 27 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #3

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 249

Word. But they make great gardeners and good domestic help is so hard to find.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
Symbiote
post Oct 27 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #4

Les chats y tiennent!

Yeah I brought a few back from Italy 2 years ago, but now I'm not so sure I want to try if I go overseas again. With the growing interest in Absinthe I'm wondering if that's worth taking the chance as well.

--------------------
I admit, Captian that I was drunk and disorderly, but it wasn't my fault. I was hit by a French absithe shell!
+Quote Post
Symbiote
post Oct 27 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Les chats y tiennent!

Hiram, How do I fit them into my luggage? I could use a landscaper or two.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 27 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #6

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Any cigar you can buy from "JR Cigars" did not come from Cuba.

expensive cigars

There ARE Monte Cristos from Cuba - to fill that humidor with them, you'd have to have the price of a new Toyota. But you can't get them from JR Cigars.

During the checkout one of the windows asks if you want to see the weekly special.

Supermarkets do the same thing. They put a bunch of crap near the cash register - the markup on those things is about 9,000%. It's for suckers.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 27 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

All the guys who made Cubans legendary left Cuba a long time ago and went to the DR.

I think good Cuban or Nicuraguan seed cigars w/ DR wrappers get you 90% of the way there for 20% of the money.

And I like these better than any Cuban I've had, though I'll admit I don't smoke enough to have that discerning of a palate:
http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/finck/bra...PGJA2SGTKJX2EKB
+Quote Post
Symbiote
post Oct 27 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #8

Les chats y tiennent!

Artemis, Sorry I'm not sure how you got the idea that I thought that I have any Cubans or thought that JR's had them either. Fear not, I know better. The only Cubans I ever had came from Italy in my luggage. The Montecristos that I just received are 1997 Series V. Not a cheap cigar by far. I don't believe that I got suckered.

Donnie, Correct! I don't believe that anyone really "needs" to seek out Cubans any more. You can get the same quality from DR or other places now. I just read an article in Cigar Aficionado that says basically the same thing.

Smoke em if you got em.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Brett
post Oct 27 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Highland Absintheur

Member No.: 30

Punishments for importing cuban cigars into the US (even if they're for personal use and not to resell) now range from somewhere around $10 000 to imprisonment.

--------------------
"I can't sell Bjarne's paté, it tastes like jockstrap." - The Green Butchers
+Quote Post
Symbiote
post Oct 27 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Les chats y tiennent!

Yikes shock.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
MarKoPoLo
post Oct 27 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #11

L'homme du plaisir

Member No.: 528

QUOTE (Brett @ Oct 27 2004, 03:25 PM)
Punishments for importing cuban cigars into the US (even if they're for personal use and not to resell) now range from somewhere around $10 000 to imprisonment.

Over kill!

--------------------
Enjoy-boy, away!
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Oct 27 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #12

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

Worse.

criminal penalties, including fines of up to $1-million for corporations and $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison, the department said.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Oct 27 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Artemis, Sorry I'm not sure how you got the idea that I thought that I have any Cubans or thought that JR's had them either.

I never had any such idea. Read the thread from top to bottom and you'll see who said what. Someone else apparently thought you had Cuban cigars, and you didn't bother to correct the record, so I did.

I used to scoff at Cuban cigars too, when I had never smoked any but the Dominican copies. The people might have left Cuba, but the tobacco didn't. Cuban cigars are unmatched.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 28 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #14

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

The few Cubans I've tried (4 different brands altogether) do have a unique and powerful flavour, but I'll confess they're just a little too "intense" for me.

After a Cuban (with the exception of a Cohiba I had which I suspect was not the real thing) I feel like I need a nap. The La Gloria's, which are my favourite, are just strong enough to make me smile with satisfaction, but not too overpowering. That has nothing to do with quality though, only personal preference.

As far as criminal penalties go, my friend got caught with a box of Romeo y Julieta's, and is now on a watch list. Every time he flies he gets pulled out of the line and searched.
+Quote Post
Symbiote
post Oct 28 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #15

Les chats y tiennent!

For example, Americans are barred from buying a Cuban cigar in other countries, even to smoke it outside the United States.

What the hell? How can that even be allowed to be part of a law? How do they plan to enforce that?

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 11:29 PM