menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

103 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what are you listening to?, bands, artists, genres, etc...
chaz
post Dec 4 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

i'm presently kicking around 3 new cds.. the lastest by duran duran, u2, and gwen stefani. but the dandy warhols get the heaviest rotation, generally speaking.

i'm generally into: shoe gaze, post-punk, madchester, and electro... i like some stuff from other genres.. but nothing to write home about.

i'm a musician.. i sing, play classical guitar, electric bass, and programme synthesizers... i used to play cello, but sold my only instrument for my first synth about 5-6 years ago. any other music nerds around and about?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grims
post Dec 5 2004, 01:28 AM
Post #2

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 1189

Listening to the Dresden Dolls (from Boston) and very addicted to the new album.

I play guitar and piano, but have a bass and violin and manderlin, but just haven't bothered getting to indepth with them.

Haven't written any mucis this year (alwful!) or drawn (also a cartoonist). But am hoping to get a MIDI player (just 25 keys) next year and hopefully one day a drum kit, and start recording full songs...

one day...can only hope!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
sevenscarabs
post Dec 5 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #3

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 1168

Currently listening to Lodger, the band behind the flash videos I Love Death and Doorsteps that some of us discussed previously. I just got their full album- it's quite fun. The song currently playing is Everyone Got To Go, which is about a guy dying of an overdose in a public bathroom, but he's more concerned about the bitch who keeps banging on the door. It's funny stuff.

--------------------
Backbite n. To speak of a man as you find him when he can't find you. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
+Quote Post
seanthomas
post Dec 5 2004, 06:21 AM
Post #4

Novitiate

Member No.: 1188

Waylon and Willie

Welcome abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
"I ate more chicken than any man has ever seen."
huddie ledbetter
+Quote Post
grey boy
post Dec 5 2004, 06:58 AM
Post #5

The Snitty One™

Member No.: 233

QUOTE (grims @ Dec 4 2004, 09:28 PM)
Listening to the Dresden Dolls (from Boston) and very addicted to the new album.

Ok, you have good taste.
Though their album isn't "new".

--------------------
You will find me if want me in the garden
unless it's pouring down with rain.
+Quote Post
chaz
post Dec 5 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

QUOTE (grims @ Dec 4 2004, 08:28 PM)
Haven't written any mucis this year (alwful!) or drawn (also a cartoonist). But am hoping to get a MIDI player (just 25 keys) next year and hopefully one day a drum kit, and start recording full songs...

re: midi control devices.. i would get something basic, unless you are really into programming your own patches and have a lust for buttons, knobs and/or sliders. the Roland XP series is satisfactory, and of course the Korg M1 is a good workhorse (and doubles nicely as an electronic piano - some of the better piano presets). i personally use a DX-7.

as for drum machines, i'm a bit partial to a Roland D4. most people just go straight for the software synths and use Reason or something like that.. even using Rebirth. what's nice about those programmes at least is that while the 303s are hardcoded, the 808/909 emulators are simply sample playback devices, and thus, you can create wav file mods that suit whatever your needs are sonically.

what software are you looking to run? cubase? logic? vegas? protools (*drool*)?

Allen Strange
Electronic Music Systems, Techniques and Controls, 2nd edition
Wm. C. Brown Co. Publishers, Iowa, USA. ISBN 0-697-03602-2*

This book by Allen Strange is very comprehensive and thoroughly recommended, because as well as all of the basics it also includes a huge number of patches and practical tips. It’s easy to read, instructive and very well organised. If your bookstore has trouble ordering a copy, then try the publishers. In Europe, try McGraw-Hill Publishing, tel +44 (0)1628 502500; or Susurreal, tel +44 (0)1363 774627), who had copies at £25 including postage in late 1996

The book is now (as of October 20, 2001) available again directly from the author Dr. Allen Strange (email address: astrange@email.sjsu.edu)  at about US$40.00.
+Quote Post
chaz
post Dec 5 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

QUOTE (sevenscarabs @ Dec 4 2004, 09:59 PM)
Currently listening to Lodger..

i don't know who they are.

EDIT: this isn't too bad, i dunno - too rock or folkrock for me..
but it's good for what it is.. *bookmarked the link*

but i prefer something more like Soviet or the Dandy Warhols... and too bad the guitarist for ARE Weapons died of overdose - while they were not the best band off the Touch of Class label, they still were a shitton of fun live.
+Quote Post
G&C
post Dec 5 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #8

Still Master

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 282

manderlin
Did you mean mandolin?

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
chaz
post Dec 5 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

QUOTE (Green & Cloudy @ Dec 5 2004, 01:55 PM)
manderlin
Did you mean mandolin?

nope. seems that "manderlin" might actually be legit.

http://www.fingerpicker.de/index.html?whatsnew.htm
(click on instruments)

http://www.bluegrass.de/pinlist.htm
(do text search)

strangeness.
+Quote Post
Nate
post Dec 6 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #10

He who wakes up in strange places.

Member No.: 1210

QUOTE (chaz @ Dec 5 2004, 05:35 PM)
re: midi control devices.. i would get something basic, unless you are really into programming your own patches and have a lust for buttons, knobs and/or sliders. the Roland XP series is satisfactory, and of course the Korg M1 is a good workhorse (and doubles nicely as an electronic piano - some of the better piano presets). i personally use a DX-7.

as for drum machines, i'm a bit partial to a Roland D4. most people just go straight for the software synths and use Reason or something like that.. even using Rebirth. what's nice about those programmes at least is that while the 303s are hardcoded, the 808/909 emulators are simply sample playback devices, and thus, you can create wav file mods that suit whatever your needs are sonically.

what software are you looking to run? cubase? logic? vegas? protools (*drool*)?

You know, I got a MIDI control keyboard and the only time I use it is with Reason. Can't play keys to well so I usually just program by hand and adjust velocities later.

For a drum machine, I just use Battery VST for Cubase.

--------------------
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.
+Quote Post
G&C
post Dec 6 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #11

Still Master

Member No.: 282

Like I said.

Mandolin.

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
Nate
post Dec 6 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #12

He who wakes up in strange places.

Member No.: 1210

I can sorta play those. They're tuned by 5ths rather than 4ths (like a guitar)... Confusing unless I think upside-down. frusty.gif

--------------------
You can't spell manslaughter without laughter.
+Quote Post
Deluge
post Dec 6 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Please return me to 1905.

Member No.: 349

Try to find Erik Saties "Trois Gymnopedies" and "Six Gnossiens" This music is perfect for the Green hour. Go to your local library I am sure you will find it. Also try to find some french concertina music. These sounds I feel will give you much pleasure!!!

As for contemporary music, I enjoy the band Vetiver, Devendra Banhart, Joanna Newsome, Nina Nastasia, Neutral Milk Hotel, Iron and Wine, Sufjian Stevens and also Elf Power. Any of the Elephant Six bands would do! Check em’ all out they are really great!

As you may have noticed from my avatar I am a big Bluegrass fan! I love old time music, folk, blues and classic country. The only form of American Roots music that fits with absinthe in my opinion though is old Cajun and Creole music.

Hmmm…. I would also suggest the Amelie soundtrack!

As a side note I play the Mandolin, Banjo, Guitar, Dulcimer, Autoharp, Hammond Organ and Wurlitzer Electric Piano.

Cheerio!

--------------------
I'm preachin' the word of god I'm puttin' out yer eyes!
+Quote Post
chaz
post Dec 6 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #14

Unregistered

QUOTE (Deluge @ Dec 6 2004, 12:00 PM)
As a side note I play the Dulcimer...

*drool* wub.gif
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Dec 6 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #15

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

Deluge, Bruddah, how be things?

It's refreshing to see that at least one MWLF'er, besides Peruche Verte, that is, hasn't totally abandoned us!

Keep on a'pickin' and a'grinnin', Dude!

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post

103 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 05:30 PM