> Where to now?
Oxygenee
post Jan 30 2005, 06:35 AM
Post #1

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

This is what is already happening, or about to happen:

1. A new basic FAQ is being prepared. My intention is that new users will have to click to confirm they have read it, before registering.

2. A new set of tasting guidelines with a scoresheet is being drafted. I'll post it for comment here fairly shortly. Once it is finalized, the process of bringing the Buyers Guide up to date, and standardizing the reviews so that different absinthes can be meaningfully compared to each other, will begin. I want to make the buyers guide a real focus for the site, and am going to need your help to get as many products reviewed as soon as possible.

3. I'm rethinking the vendors list, with a view to splitting them into 3 categories:
Highly Recommended: Unconditionally recommended by Fee Verte.
Approved: Recommended, subject to some qualifications or caveats.
Others: Not recommended.

4. Parts of this site will be integrated or linked a little more closely with my oxygenee.com site.

Other than the above, what changes would you like to see? I need to hear your suggestions, ideas, creative input, moans, grievances....everything.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ari
post Jan 30 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #2

Informed Imbiber

Group: Members
Member No.: 892

#2 was at the top of my list.

If I was to suggest something it would be to create a "best of" and history archive of the archives. There is a lot of information and history in them that makes many posts on the current forums make more sense, but it's hard to find the right posts especially in the non searchable archives.

--------------------
"you mean we're supposed to read 'em? i thought signatures were there to be ignored..."
+Quote Post
Perruche_verte
post Jan 31 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #3

Gangan kwa kwa

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 37

Ari has a great idea there. Aside from that, I think you have it covered. This site is a fine, fine instrument that could use a new set of strings and a tuning.

--------------------
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Jan 31 2005, 03:33 AM
Post #4

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

Agreed. I found the archives to be a wealth of information, and it certainly would be of help to those who are inclined to SEARCH before typing.

I would also love to see the buyers guide focus more on the manufacturing process, makers and history of the brands, and not just the usual "pretty louche-tastes like anise-nice colour" routine. And reviews should only be accepted from those who have proven they have a trustworthy and consistent palate. Shit, I've made some comments on some erstwhile brands back in the day which I can't believe I said now...
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Jan 31 2005, 04:08 AM
Post #5

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

The problem with posting new reviews for some of the older brands is that nobody drinks them anymore. The original reviews are certainly obsolete but new ones might be hard to come by. Hopefully, some members have unfinished bottles of lesser brands kicking around.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jan 31 2005, 04:13 AM
Post #6

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

Being exclusively charged with the well-being of this site - and of the land of the 48 hour day, which is conveniently outside the effectual range of the federal reserve's oppressive claptrap, I might add - would you be open to entertaining, lucid discussions on the subject of censored2.gif - excluding, of course, that which would incriminate their purveyors.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Jan 31 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

A lot of the older reviews are based on comparison to what was available at the time. It's not that the products have changed, but rather the bar has been raised . . .

Perhaps a double-rating system would work? Keep the old ratings and reviews, then add a "post-2000" series, allowing people to compare the "old school" stuff on an equal footing, and then also see how it stacks up against the more recent introductions.

Of course, Hills and Black Tunnel and the like could be rated on the het.gif scale; the more het.gif they get, the worse they are . . .

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Jan 31 2005, 04:23 AM
Post #8

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (traineraz @ Jan 30 2005, 11:15 PM)
It's not that the products have changed, but rather the bar has been raised . . .

That was basically my point. Does it matter how Deva compared to other absinthes available 5 years ago? Aside from a few idiosyncratic choices (i.e. Serpis, Segarra, Francois Guy), a lot of the older brands are fairly irrelevant in today's market. Some of the newer ones too, I suppose.

Which martyr gets to have a few drinks of King of Spirits for the updated review? Will we be allowed to (ahem) critique Logan Filth?

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Jan 31 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #9

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

Logan Filth? Only if you say NICE things about it.

The old reviews are relevant, if merely as a means of comparing the lower-end brands and providing an historical perspective.

After all, people who can't easily get to a 7-11 might like to know which $25/bottle oil mix to buy for mixed drinks at a party, or for cooking, or for introducing some LiveJournalites to something absinthesque.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jan 31 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #10

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

I already offered to scour the archives in another thread. So I like that idea.

1. I like.

2. I like.

3. Why not just give an unconditional Fée Verte stamp of approval... we shouldn't compromise, that would be something to expect from all those absinth sites. When the bar inches up, so will our standards. A few cherished absinthes will fall out of contention, a few will stay, but I'm positive more will arrive on the scene that earn a kiss from la fée verte.

4. Of course.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Jan 31 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #11

Alethiometer

I don't think there should be an allowance for HG talk. There's enough of that going on other places. I think talking about large scale manufacturing process would be fine though.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Jan 31 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #12

Alethiometer

Another idea I had was to add a restaurant review page. It seems as of late there are several Absinthe themed restaurants popping up, and I thought it might be a cool resource for anybody looking to find out which ones in which areas are good and which ones are shit.

And I suppose another good resource for forumites who travel would be a comprehensive listing of bars/liquor stores around the world that serve/sell Absinthe.

+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jan 31 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #13

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

The original reviews are certainly obsolete but new ones might be hard to come by.

Exactly. I'm not about to buy a bottle of crap just to rate it. I don't know how this problem will be overcome.

My own four cents:

There is no room here for HG talk, and it's probably not going to happen because it puts the people who matter most (Head, Kallisti, Oxy) too much at risk.

Bar reviews are a good idea.

The old stuff should be archived so people can access it.

It doesn't matter how an absinthe is made - the result is the only thing that matters.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jan 31 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #14

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

I agree , rating HG is a waste of time and why bother . There is not that much of it and it can't be compared, controlled or repeated easily
so why review it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ari
post Jan 31 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #15

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 892

As Grim mentioned, I did steal my idea from him and others, so you can't give me credit.

I think low end reviews need to be done, especially with the new reviewing system. It will also reduce the amount of, "How about _____" posts. A review is much better than no review and the suggesting to just stick with the top few.
Wheres Hartsmar? He can do it.
I really like the idea of a more balanced review system. Looking back at when La fee came out, everyone was happy to have something drinkable, then UE came out and everyone was excited for it and La fee fell to the way side, same thing with Fou and Jades. With what appears to be a golden time in modern absinthe a balanced review system is needed.

--------------------
"you mean we're supposed to read 'em? i thought signatures were there to be ignored..."
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 07:39 AM