> Where to now?
traineraz
post Jan 31 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 38

All others may fall by the wayside, but Serpis remains. harhar.gif

And I still think some way of distinguishing the pre-renaissance from the more modern would be helpful. Perhaps rankings within price ranges would be more useful?

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jan 31 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #17

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

QUOTE (Kirk @ Jan 31 2005, 11:37 AM)
rating HG is a waste of time and why bother...

I agree. I never said anything about rating HG, and ordering them in a manner akin to the commercial buyer's guide would be bullshit, and disrespectful.

Point taken, Artemis.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Jan 31 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #18

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

The opportunity to BUY HG is becoming rarer, and rarer anyway, which is as it SHOULD be. Most HGers are in it for the love of the beverage, not for the money involved, and have every reason to wish to stay under the potential radar.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Jan 31 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #19

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

You guys realize there's a whole forum dedicated to discussing HG, right? It's not absinthe, but the distilling is a much more serious offense than the absinthe.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Jan 31 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #20

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

Regarding the reviews being outdated, I pretty much have the same problem omn my site.

One idea could be to simply add a date of the review along with it.

I have plenty left of many "old goodies" that could be re-reviewed, but I'm not sure I want to go through that... sleepy.gif

Another point could be to add some form of information along with the brand being reviewed, such as when it was released and by whom. That would tell a lot comparing dates and information with others. All that, and the fact the people would actually have to think for them selves and not be total idiots. Things change, and in our case - at least the last year - to the better.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Jan 31 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #21

Cozy Nostril Originale

Re-reviewing some of the really abysmal oldies seems like a waste of time, given the neo-evolution of absinthe during the last three years, or so, especially given that this forum has always been at the forefront of the revival. It would be tantamount to members of ratebeer.com wasting bandwidth with reviews of the various lite beers.

That being said (with a nod to the Grand Lizard), there are far worse offenders out there than La Fee, which honestly does fill a niche, when one is in the mood for that particular flavor.

Absinths like Ulex, Absinthe King, and Perrigan, just to cite three, on the other hand...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Conju
post Jan 31 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #22

Proprietor of Useless Information

Group: Members
Member No.: 285

But there are shitty absinthes out there that have been given biased reviews.

Perhaps just a generic, nondescript review for a bad absinthe? Something along the lines of:

This absinthe(-e), authentic as it may seem, is actually in fact, bad to very bad. I mean look at it, we didn't even bother to write a custom review for it it's so bad. We strongly advise you to stay away from this brand. However if you do decide that you would like to try it anyways, don't say we didn't warn you. At least one or more of the following statements may or may not apply to this absinthe(-e). In the order of increasing likelihood to decreasing likelihood.
It tastes like burning dog hair.
Would be good for window cleaning
Will burn well
Good for degreasing engines
Windex
There are flakes of absolutely putrid tasting (are those plants?) in it
It's Black.
It costs way too much money, spend it elsewhere.
Please allow 4-6 weeks of anticipation before finally drinking this garbage.
It looks like, tastes like, and probably is the mystery juice at the bottom of a pile of garbage, triple distilled, bleached, and then colored green and sold for $200 to you, the consumer.
Where's the louche?

Or you could make your own!

Seriously, avoid this absinthe(-e).

--------------------
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 25 2005, 01:33 AM) *
(I'm still waiting for my 'welcome')

Not so. You sent me a PM long ago and I didn't tell you to fuck off and die. What do you want, cheetos?
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Jan 31 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #23

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

Sounds great, except a lot of people would apply it to Serpis. That, and it has all the class of A Night at Smuttty's.

The old reviews are already written. They're part of the FV heritage. Adding dates and a wee bit of history should put them in perspective for the thinking types.

The non-thinking types will be obsessed with the thujone content anyway and not buy the good stuff, so who cares?

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Jan 31 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #24

Cozy Nostril Originale

QUOTE (traineraz @ Jan 31 2005, 04:37 PM)
That, and it has all the class of A Night at Smutty's.

And?

You have a problem with that?

--------------------
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Feb 1 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #25

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

QUOTE (traineraz @ Jan 31 2005, 03:37 PM)
The non-thinking types will be obsessed with the thujone content anyway and not buy the good stuff, so who cares?

Ain't that the truth...

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Grim
post Feb 1 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #26

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

QUOTE (Hiram @ Jan 31 2005, 02:37 PM)
You guys realize there's a whole forum dedicated to discussing HG, right?  It's not absinthe, but the distilling is a much more serious offense than the absinthe.

frusty.gif

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
wormwood
post Sep 29 2005, 03:35 AM
Post #27

Novitiate

Member No.: 335

My two cents go back and rate all the crappy old brands we used to drink. That way there is a direct comparison to the new stuff.

As Master Po on Kung fu used to say: But Grasshopper, without evil how would one know good.
+Quote Post
Selmac
post Sep 29 2005, 03:48 AM
Post #28

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 763

I agree in theory, but who among us is going to do that? Actually, I would be willing to do reviews for an ass-ort-ment of crapsinthes, but I can't see buying them. Those members who still have bottles of various absinths probably have no interest in revisiting them.

--------------------
"All that we really need is a change in our point of view toward life & a keener perception regarding the things that count & the things which merely burden us" - Gustav Stickley
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 01:40 PM