Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Fee Verte Absinthe Evaluation System
morgueann
post Feb 2 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #16

NEVADA-TAN

Group: Members
Member No.: 769

More water usually does bring out some of the less prominent herbs in distillation, with almost any authentic absinthe. I'm an anise girl, though. I like my anise strong.

--------------------
"I don't play with my friends." - Nevada
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Feb 3 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #17

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Oxy's remarks on my remarks on the scoresheet and some issues raised here have posed some frusty.gif problems, so I'm going to have to hold off on the Smackdown reviews I did until we can work it out. Possibly we'll have to just throw it in the dog pit and let loose the hounds on it.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Feb 3 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #18

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Hiram @ Feb 2 2005, 08:32 PM)
It might be a good idea to add a clause somewhere suggesting that the form is to be used for private purposes and may only be reproduced in its current form with copyright notice intact, etc. etc.

I may indeed modify it as you suggest.

For now, you can take this as confirmation that any currently registered member here has permission to print it out and use it for the purpose of contributing reviews to the Fee Verte Buyers Guide

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Feb 3 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #19

Pre-ban minutiae guy

QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Feb 2 2005, 10:08 PM)
I also think Taste should be 25 points and Aroma 25, rather than the 20-30 ratio you have currently.

Effectively they are each allocated the same amount of points: Mouthfeel, which is given 10 points, would normally be included in the category of Taste, bringing its total to 30 points, the same as Aroma.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Feb 3 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #20

Pre-ban minutiae guy

QUOTE (Wolfgang @ Feb 2 2005, 08:21 PM)
There's only one point I do not agree with : the water ratio.

At 3:1, it would only serve the purpose of hiding the lameness of some already too diluted absinthes and it may be detrimental to the high proof traditional absinthes.

Please notice what I said in the guidelines:

....in the interests of standardization, no more than 3 parts of very cold water should be added.

So you can certainly add less water to a 45% absinthe if you so wish.

I don't believe the water ratio should be higher than 3 to 1 though for 68% or 72% absinthes. Because one wants to concentrate the sensory input, it's usual to taste spirits at a lesser dilution than one might adopt for ordinary drinking.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Feb 3 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #21

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

Regarding water-absinthe ratio, I find the 3:1 being just perfect. I personally rarely use more water than that, and having a "highest limit" without the absinthe being too watered down would obviously be the best way. So, 3:1 would result in that. 4:1 or 5:1 would spoil many absinthes totally.

Then of course, I would say that the reviewer must get the chance to comment on the review as a whole, with his (or hers) personal views. Commenting on how he/she actually preferred that specific absinthe watered down to a 4:1 ratio, for instance. Still, the scoring system needs a strict guide.

About the copyright and usage of the form, I can definitely see that I would like to use the points I set to a specific absinthe on my own website as well. I currently have a 5-star quick reference thingy, which I imagine could be enhanced by adding "points according to the Fee Verte Absinthe Tasting Form", though not publishing the form in itself there.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Feb 3 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #22

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Feb 3 2005, 04:15 AM)
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Feb 2 2005, 10:08 PM)
I also think Taste should be 25 points and Aroma 25, rather than the 20-30 ratio you have currently.

Effectively they are each allocated the same amount of points: Mouthfeel, which is given 10 points, would normally be included in the category of Taste, bringing its total to 30 points, the same as Aroma.

frusty.gif Duh, of course. That makes perfect sense. Not sure why I missed that one...
+Quote Post
morgueann
post Feb 3 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #23

NEVADA-TAN

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (hartsmar @ Feb 3 2005, 01:16 PM)
Commenting on how he/she actually preferred that specific absinthe watered down to a 4:1 ratio, for instance.

Not too long ago no one would have bothered to even say that. abs-cheers.gif (...was no need to...) tongue.gif

--------------------
"I don't play with my friends." - Nevada
+Quote Post
Hiram
post Feb 4 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #24

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

Not that many he/she's around, eh?

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Feb 4 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #25

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

Paging LaMuseVerte, and SevenBugs... het.gif

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Feb 22 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #26

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Here is the final version of the tasting scoresheet. There are several changes from the original beta version, not actually in the scoring itself, but in the accompanying notes and tasting guidelines.

Special thanks especially to Artemis, Ted, Crosby and Peter for their very helpful comments and suggestions.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Fee_Verte_Absinthe_Evaluation_System.pdf ( 114.42k ) Number of downloads: 670

--------------------
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Feb 22 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #27

Cozy Nostril Originale

Many thanks to everyone involved! I think the final version is excellent. I might have reversed the point allocation for aroma v. taste, but that's just me. This will be a solid basis on which to rate all absinthes in the future. abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
tabreaux
post Feb 23 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #28

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

Member No.: 33

FWIW, re: aroma vs. taste, I share your opinion that taste (inc. mouthfeel) should be favored a bit more heavily overall. It isn't easy to come to a consensus for such things. The experience of the judges will factor into it as well. Nevertheless, I keep reminding myself that Mari Mayans won a gold medal at the IWSC not that long ago... wacko.gif (ya hearin' me Oxy?)
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Feb 23 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #29

Cozy Nostril Originale

I think that weighing aroma somewhat more heavily than taste was probably based on the notion that our sense of smell is considered the most primal and basic, and the one that initially impels the drinker to take the tasting plunge, or puts one off.

Still, the flavor, mouthfeel, and aftertaste are the real keys to the ultimate "invitingness" of an absinthe

As a former beer judge and taster, I found the Mari Mayans selection to be particularly offensive and ludicrous, but as you've said, experience plays a major role in the choosing of the "best" libation, in any category of competition.

It's a shame that it always comes down to having the proper "connections", as far as attaining a place amongst the judges at these things, otherwise you and Peter, among several, would have surely been invited to participate.

Damned xenophobic, chauvinistic frogs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Gordon
post Aug 2 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #30

¡Gordon!

Member No.: 1575

Got to be a judge? Sounds like you had lots of fun.

--------------------
BEER : It is the drink of men who think and feel no fear nor fetter - Who do not drink to senseless sink, but drink to think the better. Brew on a par with FAT TIRE Amber Ale, I won't just be happy..
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 07:51 AM