Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scoresheets please!
Oxygenee
post Mar 2 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

I've noticed several comments here along the lines of "I'm too new/inexperienced to rate it properly, but this is what I think of the new Jade Edouard".

Nonsense! Anyone can submit a scoresheet. One of the advantages of the system is that it provides a framework for even a novice to meaningfully rate a particular absinthe.

The aim is for the Buyers Guide scores to reflect a consensus position, based on many scoresheets, rather than just the judgement of a handful of experts.

You can post your scoresheet results online here on the Forum, or you can email them to me. I can keep your evaluation entirely anonymous if you prefer. The more I receive, from all classes of tasters, the more accurate and meaningful the overall results will be.

So please, don't hold back. Evaluate the new Jade Edouard (and of course Tuivel's Montmartre, and the spate of new La Bleues, and Phil's latest offerings, and whatever else you are drinking) in terms of the new scoresheet. Post the results here. Alternatively email them directly to me.

As soon as we start to build up a meaningful database of results, I'll start to post a regular league table of the highest scoring absinthes. At the moment only two have been properly rated:

Jade Nouvelle Orleans:84
La Fee: 63

If you haven't already downloaded it, here is the full scoresheet:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Fee_Verte_Absinthe_Evaluation_System.pdf ( 114.42k ) Number of downloads: 1491

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Mar 2 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

Oxy, how about using the score on other sites? ie I rate the Edouard using the FeeVerte scoresheet, and post the result here. I would then want to post the score along with a link here, with my other "regular" review and reference guide at my site... Something along the line of "FeeVerte.net score sheet result: XX pts"

No problemo?

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Mar 2 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Of course, absolutely no problem - in fact the whole idea is to work towards the Fee Verte scoring system becoming the de facto industry standard.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Mar 2 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Pre-ban minutiae guy

For those who want to email me their scores as an MS Word attachment, here is the basic scoresheet in Word format:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Fee_Verte_Absinthe_Evaluation_Scoresheet.doc ( 35k ) Number of downloads: 873

--------------------
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Mar 2 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #5

Clint Wormwood

Great, since this was a thing I was planning on starting on... tonight... He he.

Edit: The league of highest scoring absinthes, would that be an average of all collected ranks on each absinthe? For instance if three people rank the Jade Nouvelle-Orléans, at 78, 83 and 92 points. Would the rank presented in the list be the average of those three (84)?

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Mar 2 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Pre-ban minutiae guy

QUOTE (hartsmar @ Mar 2 2005, 05:04 PM)
The league of highest scoring absinthes, would that be an average of all collected ranks on each absinthe? For instance if three people rank the Jade Nouvelle-Orléans, at 78, 83 and 92 points. Would the rank presented in the list be the average of those three (84)?

Yes, that is in principle exactly how it would work.

In very rare cases I might exclude a particular scoresheet if it seems completely out of line with the broad consensus: eg if a particular absinthe attracts ratings in the 60 to 80 range, with an average of 70 points, I might exclude a scoresheet giving it 30 points, or 99 points. The reason for this is not to distort the average score with ratings that are frivolous, or obviously motivated by a personal agenda.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Mar 2 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Clint Wormwood

Naturally.

Great!

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 2 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #8

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

O.K. here goes...

Jade Edouard

Color before water... clear, very vivid but completely natural green - 10.

Louche Action...the louche is slow and steady, not too extreme, near perfect - 9.

Color after water...A good deal of the vivid green is retained after louching, The final product is a pale minty green color that resembles some of the finer renderings of quality pre-ban absinthes - 9.

Aroma...neat...green anise is the most obvious scent, with wormwood in the background. There is a bit of a "burnt" background, as well, though some less evident than it is in the Jade Verte Suisse. I don't find this a major detraction, however. To me, it gives the Edouard almost an "aged" character, and it is by no means obtrusive - 12.

...louched...the burnt quality fades completely, and the aroma opens up to reveal a complex melange of anise, fennel and hyssop, the overall impression is "floral baby powder" that fills a room. Very appetizing! - 14.

Overall aroma score - 23.

Mouthfeel...this is perhaps the best aspect of the Edouard. It is velvety, rich, and mouth-coating.
Absolutely wonderful - 10.

Taste... Anise is dominant, as expected, but this is no anise-bomb. There is plenty of fennel, which imparts a very subtle fruitiness, and even more quality hyssop that gives the Edouard a lively, "baby powder" finish, which blends perfectly with the underpinning of minty wormword. This continues into a VERY long, savory finish that compells one to start the sipping process all over again. For me, this is a nearly perfect flavor, marred only very slightly by a wee bit of a burnt component that has carried over from the aroma - 19.

Overall impression...this Edouard is not too far from flawless, except for the aforementioned VERY SLIGHT burnt characteristic. It is, without doubt, my favorite commercial absinthe, to date - 9.

Total Score...92.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Mar 2 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #9

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Great, thanks Absomphe.

Keep 'em coming....and not just Edouard, but anything else you're tasting at the moment, good or bad.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 2 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Cozy Nostril Originale

Your quite welcome, Oxy!

The only other absinthe I'm presently tasting is the Nouvelle Orleans, so I'll give that a go...

Color Before Water...A deep green that also has a bluish tinge. Not as vivid as the Edouard, it is a nice, rich color, but I find the bluish tone to be a little odd - 8.

Louche Action...slow and steady, a good louche, a very good louche, but not superlative - 8.

Color After Water...Pale bluish green, nice, but as in the case of the pre-louche, I would have preferred to see a more vivid green tone - 8.

Aroma (neat)...Very interesting and different nose, which reminds me of Old Bay meets a spicy Christmas Ale. There is an element of funk, which tends to clear up as the absinthe "breathes". This gets points for creativity, and originality, but as with the flavor, how much I enjoy it depends upon my mood - 10.

Aroma (louched)...Very similar to the neat scent, except that it opens up nicely, and becomes more rounded and appealing. No funk present - 12.

Mouthfeel...substantial, but not as rich and mouthcoating as the Edouard. Still, very nice body, more silky than velvety - 8.

Taste...the Old Bay/Christmas ale aspect carries over into the flavor. Plenty of fennel, and a decent helping of anise, but the wormwood is much more subtle than it is in the Edouard, or the Verte Suisse, so there is less of that dry mintiness in the finish. The "baby powder" flavor is also more muted here, and while the flavor is savory and interesting, there isn't the same compelling urge to go on to the next sip, unless I'm particularly in the mood for this unique flavor - 16.

Overall Impression...Definitely a one-of-a-kind absinthe, which is well crafted, and desrves points for originality. Not my favorite, but when I'm in the mood, it satisfies a flavor niche that no other absinthe can quite fill - 7.

Total...77.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sixela
post Mar 2 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Mar 2 2005, 04:58 PM)
For those who want to email me their scores as an MS Word attachment, here is the basic scoresheet in Word format:

Silly, you can't attach anything to emails through this site (though it's not hard to find your email address in the Virtual Absinthe Museum, of course).

Coming in your mail, the three sisters.

Summary:

Jade NO: 76
Jade VdS, aged sufficiently: 88
Jade Edouard: 93

Your system is a bit harsh on the NO, though: it's idiosyncratic and the colour and louche are what makes it lose points, but I still think it's very good and at times prefer it over the VdS (when I'm in the mood for it).

If you'd have asked me months ago, though, it would have beaten the VdS on taste and aroma, because that VdS distiller's proof was very young with very overpowering green anise.

Same thing in reverse for the Edouard: given its colour, it takes top honours easily over the others, even though I can understand someone liking the more 'masculine' character of the VdS.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 2 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #12

Cozy Nostril Originale

I think the Edouard manges to be very "masculine" and "feminine", at the same time.

There is even more of that wormwood goodness that comes through in the finish, as well as that talc-like hyssop thing...it is by no means as soft and smooth as the NO.

However, everything is so rounded and balanced that it has a great deal of finesse, even young.

I sure hope it ages well, at which point I'll most likely bankrupt myself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
DenSetsu
post Mar 2 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #13

Soldier of Misfortune

Group: Members
Member No.: 1090

I'm already planning on doing that myself abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
"Man, fuck you. You are such a fucking prick! I've never seen so many arrogant mother fuckers in all my life." -Sloppy

*Drops loaded 9mm* "That's it I quit! I did not join the military with the intention of firing a gun!"
- A nurse on the firing range during mandatory M9 training
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Mar 2 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #14

Pre-ban minutiae guy

QUOTE (sixela @ Mar 2 2005, 07:13 PM)
Silly, you can't attach anything to emails through this site (though it's not hard to find your email address in the Virtual Absinthe Museum, of course).

Coming in your mail, the three sisters.

Summary:

Jade NO: 76
Jade VdS, aged sufficiently: 88
Jade Edouard: 93

Got them. Thanks Sixela!

For those who don't already have it:

To email me directly, use:
info@oxygenee.com

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Mar 2 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #15

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

user posted image

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post

14 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 09:00 AM