> Scoresheets please!
sixela
post Mar 2 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #16

Anal sage

Group: Absinthe Mafia
From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

Weel, that man doesn't look at all like the VdS should look like - that VdS is no French intellectual leftie wimp. That actress would probably be OK as Jade Edouard, though the role is out of character: that Jade Edouard's style isn't exactly that of a ye-ye singer (that's more something for the Jade NO).

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 2 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #17

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

That "guy" should be representative of the Jade NO.

I'll bet she could kick his effete little can-can.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Mar 2 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #18

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

Well, guess I'll just have to throw in a little something on the Montmartre then.

Absinthe Montmartre 65 (Premiere Edition):

Color before water: 7 (10)
Slightly hazed and not as clear as might be expected. Nice dark green color though.

Louche action: 6 (10)
Slowly appearing, with very nice oily patterns during louching. holds a fine clear layer on top until finished. A slight deduction in points for ending up a bit thin.

Color after water: 8 (10)
Still a very nice green - not as dark. Could be a bit lighter to be perfect, but doesn't present the overly neon green louche presented in some others.

Aroma: 22 (30)
A very heavy and complex aroma before adding water. Slightly grassy, but this could also be partly due to the many "special" ingredients.
After adding water it literally fills the room with it's herbal scents. Very nice.

Mouth-feel: 7 (10)
It presents a nice rich and full mouth-feel. Smooth and very interesting, yet slightly flat in the end.

Taste: 14 (20)
A very nice, herbal taste and in a way a bit spicy. It might do good from blending just a bit better, but it's very good. Some grassy notes can be detected, but not enough to make it the least bit bad.

Overall impression: 7 (10)
It does need some work to make it perfect and let the flavours blend a bit better. Understandably it's not easy to get an absinthe with all those ingredients to be perfect on the first run. The Montmartre is a very good absinthe.

Total score: 71 (100)

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 2 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #19

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

Very nice review, as per usual, Hartsmar!

I'm sure I'll purchase a bottle in the near future, perhaps when Tuivel's tinkered with the recipe a bit.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 4 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #20

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Veritable Fee Verte Kubler 53

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10
It's clear. Don't see how else I can rate it. Can't give it zero because there's no failure involved. Can't give it ten because it's easy to do - just do nothing and keep debris out of it. Ten seems more fair than zero. So be it.
LOUCHE ACTION 5
Attractive louche action, nothing special about it, nothing wrong with it.
COLOR AFTER WATER 6
Steely white color, typical of La Bleue, but no blue nuance to speak of.
AROMA 23
Good clean anise aroma, not complex, but absolutely no faults.
MOUTH-FEEL 10
The best thing about this absinthe. Velvet, creamy, soft.
TASTE 18
Tastes better than it smells, a rarity. Simple refreshing taste.
OVERALL IMPRESSION 9
I like this very much, but is it absinthe? It's hard to tell if there's wormwood in it.
TOTAL 81

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 4 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #21

Master of Oblivion

Doubs Premium Absinthe

COLOR BEFORE WATER 3
I'm forced to penalize it in accordance with the instructions, because it looks fake, but I like it - a beautiful emerald shade.
LOUCHE ACTION 9
Strong milkiness grows from the bottom very nicely.
COLOR AFTER WATER 7
Can't say it has complexity or nuance, but it's opaque and attractive.
AROMA 27
This absinthe smells like no other I've ever had. The smell won't be to everyone's liking. Medicinal? Tonic? I find it refreshing and I like it.
MOUTH-FEEL 8
Somewhat thin and dry, but that's in keeping with the gin-like botanical nuances.
TASTE 18
It tastes like it smells. Again, it won't be to everyone's taste, but there's no way I can fault it - it's not deficient in any way; it's just different. An anise candy this one is NOT! I found it very foreign at the first glass, but it quickly grew on me.
OVERALL IMPRESSION 9
It seems to be a mixed absinthe with artificial color. That said, it's the best of its type I've had.
TOTAL 81

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Perruche_verte
post Mar 4 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #22

Gangan kwa kwa

Member No.: 37

Interesting. Is Doubs now in "international" distribution (i.e., to the U.S.)?

--------------------
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 4 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #23

Master of Oblivion

Some more words are in order about the Doubs Premium. This is a triumph of marketing. As they say on TV "it comes with everything you see here" -
a spoon, thin and flat of course, but with an interesting design (I particularly like the New Orleans Saints emblem), a small glass (a mominette), and the glass is filled with sugar lumps.

Unfortunately the glass arrived with base broken off, but some Gorilla Glue took care of that.

The box features a lanquid green fairy, a "Banned in 1914" stamp, and some truly scary recipes, including one where you set a slice of apple atop the drink, and set the APPLE on fire! And douse it with cinnamon.

I have to admit there are couple of drinks that sound appealing, though, including one with lemon soda.

These marketing gimmicks won't be to the taste of the snobs, but this is smart packaging. Unfortunately they give that burning sugar garbage some play, but side by side with the traditional method.

I fully expected not to like this stuff, but I do. I also like the mominette - with a one-ounce shot of absinthe, filled to the top with water, I find it perfect for this particular drink (55% alcohol).

I seem to remember discussion of this stuff about a year ago - it comes from ?Africa blink.gif ?

It must be noted that this was a free sample, but in no way does that influence my opinion.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 4 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #24

Master of Oblivion

Louched Doubs Premium

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 4 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #25

Master of Oblivion

Greenman was watching (next frame - why can't you edit a post to include an attachment?)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Deluge
post Mar 4 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #26

Please return me to 1905.

Member No.: 349

Yes, it is from South Africa... I am sure Oxy will have more to say about this one!

--------------------
I'm preachin' the word of god I'm puttin' out yer eyes!
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 4 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #27

Master of Oblivion

Voila

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Deluge
post Mar 4 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #28

Please return me to 1905.

Member No.: 349

That's a really cool pic Artemis! abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
I'm preachin' the word of god I'm puttin' out yer eyes!
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Mar 4 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #29

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

Thanks as always for the reviews Artemis. The high score for the Doubs absinthe validates why I think it's important not to evaluate oil-mix absinthes separately from distilled ones - if it tastes and smells good, it's a good absinthe, regardless of the method of manufacture.

Absinthe Doubs was developed by a very dynamic South African company called Thirsty Now. They specialize in innovative liquor products, usually in the "happening" end of the market - wine coolers etc - for both the local and export markets. I helped them with some of the historical backgrounders and press releases for their initial launch, and also had some small input in the formulation of the product.

The absinthe has been successful locally, where it's targeted at the club and bar market, and sells for around $15 per bottle. They are also developing export markets, initially I believe focussed on Australia and the Far East.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Mar 4 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #30

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

Nice work Artemis!

So, the Doubs is actually ok!? That is one that I've been meaning to try and get hold of for a while. I think I'll have to locate a bottle... Sounds interesting.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 09:29 PM