Alberga Schutzkorps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1939

QUOTE(Provenance @ Sep 21 2012, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Oct 24 2007, 12:03 PM) *

IPB Image

That's hyperbolic.

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Sep 21 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #182

Alberga Schutzkorps

It's good to have reviews of even the crappiest "absinthes".

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Sep 21 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #183

Alberga Schutzkorps

Although a scorexit of Mouthwash-Schultz is best stored where the sun doesn't shine.

--------------------
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #184

Novitiate

Member No.: 4141

Greetings!

More than 2 years have passed since my last review. I really wanted to gain some more experience to make my next reviews accurate. Since then I have tasted different absinthes, examined lots of possible absinthe ingredients (still it is pretty hard to determine which ingredients were used in the background) and 3 times distilled my own absinthe. After multiple review corrections and addictions I finally feel myself ready to post them. Here are they in chronological order:

P.S. I have filmed all absinthe louchings including my own. If someone is interested you can watch them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkend163/videos
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #185

Novitiate

LEMERCIER ABISINTHE AMER

Reviewed by darkend_163 9/30/2014

COLOR BEFORE WATER 7/10
Pale but pleasant golden color. Clear and natural.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
The louche is quite attractive, but not very special.

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Pale with hint of yellow and green. Good opalescence (three dimensional) gives warm amber highlights.

AROMA 21/30
It has strong scent of wormwood, green anise accompanied with star anise, some hyssop also gentian scent and pleasant alcohol bite out of the bottle. It is quite simple and not floral but intriguing and velvety as tobacco. While louching aroma is filling the room and becomes a little more complex.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Actually it is not so harsh and bitter as I thought. It has no more bitterness than the other absinthes, but some nice spiciness, I believe because of a gentian. It is not very smooth though.

TASTE 13/20
Savoury herbal and powerful taste with some amount of mystery. All ingredients are very good balanced and the first impression is that this absinthe was made with care. It is good with or without sugar. Lingering anise aftertaste.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
Greener color and more complexity are missing in this absinthe but I don’t want Lemercier to make any changes in the recipe ‘cause I like it very much as it is. For that price it is a very pleasant, good quality drink which is perfect for novices and as everyday’s absinthe.

PERSONAL NOTES
Bottled 2011-2012. The new bottles have a black steel screw cap instead of plastic cap.

darkend_163 scores LEMERCIER ABISINTHE AMER 70 out of 100
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #186

Novitiate

UN EMILE 45

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
For 45 vol. it has an attractive light green color.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
Louche starts fast and hasn’t much contrast, but it’s ok.

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Pale with green tint, not opaque enough.

AROMA 20/30
Wormwood, anise, a little fennel and also one strange and intriguing meadow flavor. I suppose it’s because of a good dose of Pontarlier petite wormwood. Quite complex and floral but very grassy. While louching aroma fills the room.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Mouth-feel is not very creamy and is quiet harsh and bitter in aftertaste.

TASTE 12/20
Quiet complex and good balanced drink. This strange meadow taste brings intriguing note, but is too strong which makes this absinthe unusual and very grassy. Firstly it was disturbing and annoying, but afterwards I started to enjoy it.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
Very interesting and specific Absinthe but too expensive for its low complexity. It has light and floral profile, so it is nice to enjoy it in the middle of shiny spring or summer day. Also it was nice to try the recipe in which certainly no star anise was used. I really liked it much but I don’t recommend it as first absinthe due to unusual character.

PERSONAL NOTES
I’ve read reviews and saw a color of previous batches and I believe it is much better now but there is still a lot of space for improvements.

darkend_163 scores UN EMILE 45 68 out of 100
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #187

Novitiate

DUPLAIS VERTE RETRO

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10
Very attractive peridot-emerald green color. It is clear, very rich and deep with some slight golden tint. Probably the greenest absinthe. There was some sediment on the bottom which rises up as a tornado after bottle shaking but I found it not dramatic.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Thick, wonderful louche with great layering. It starts very intensively and slowly forming, leaving the very emerald stripe on the top.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
Milky-green, very lovely and appealing. Huge amount of shades such as blue, yellow, orange… the whole rainbow.

AROMA 26/30
Amazing, very complex and floral, intriguing, mysterious and unique.

MOUTH-FEEL 8/10
A little wormwood harshness with long lasting and pleasant anise aftertaste.

TASTE 16/20
Very powerful wormwood bite with nice anise/fennel taste accompanied with other herbs on the background which bring those unique and complex notes such as hyssop, lemon balm and I think veronica. It tastes unbalanced with big ratio - the bitterness becomes more disturbing and there is something missing in the taste. I prefer no more than 1:4 ratio. It goes without sugar but after several sips it’s just asking for it. A little sugar makes aroma bloom and tastes more balanced and ripe.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
It is not the perfect absinthe, some improvements could take place. The buquete of botanicals was very great selected however some smoothness and balance are missing. All in all Duplais Verte is definitely one of the best absinthe produced nowadays. Highly recommended.

PERSONAL NOTES
Retro edition bottle.

darkend_163 scores DUPLAIS VERTE RETRO 85 out of 100
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #188

Novitiate

AKVELD'S ARTISANALE VERTE and

RAISONNÉE VERTE are posted here:

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?sh…mp;#entry208790
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #189

Novitiate

VALKYRIA

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Nice green color, but too light for its 68% strength.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
With first water drips it louches correctly, nicely but then too quickly and foggy, apparently because of a good amount of star anise in the recipe.

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Too opaque and too pale milky green. It reminds me of a Henri Bardouin pastis.

AROMA 24/30
Aroma is pretty nice, complex and quite fresh. Some minor disturbing earthy note same as in Akveld's Artisanale Verte but less.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
It is smooth with some harshness because of star anise.

TASTE 15/20
The star anise taste is too strong – overwhelming, nonetheless other ingredients seems well selected. There is good dose of wormwood. Background herbs bringing very intriguing and delightful notes. Also there is some earthy note but it is not disturbing much.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
It is complex, well made and very drinkable absinthe. I have no problem with star anise, but it will be much better if its quantity would be reduced, that would make Valkyria absinthe much more balanced and complex letting the other ingredients shine.

PERSONAL NOTES
Unfortunately there was no date. I believe it was bottled in 2013.

darkend_163 scores VALKYRIA 75 out of 100
+Quote Post
darkend_163
post Sep 30 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #190

Novitiate

JADE L'ESPRIT D'EDOUARD

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10
Peridot – deep and rich golden green. It’s not too dark or too bright and it’s not too green or too yellow – perfect. Best absinthe color I have ever seen but I hope that more magical color exist.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Very slowly and nicely forming louche, very thick and attractive.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
Great looking milky peridot color with perfect opacity and opalescence.

AROMA 28/30
One of the best aroma I have ever smelled. Wonderful wine spirit and herbs scent are ideally balanced and of the best quality. It is very complex and round with such a wonderful bouquet which raises and unfurls fulfilling the room with ever single ice cold water drop.

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
Smooth with a very slight harshness and pleasant verte healthy kick.

TASTE 18/20
Perfect balance and very good clarity. It is easier to determine and feel each ingredient separately than in other absinthes I have tried. Fennel and hyssop are very clearly perceptible. Incredibly complex and reach. Very delicious. I can’t find anything wrong.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 9/10
Masterpiece! Amazing, very gentle and high quality drink. Best absinthe I have tasted so far. Blessed be T.A. Breaux for such a successful absinthe reincarnation! I very hope the Jade absinthes will always stay with the same quality, price and availability as today.

PERSONAL NOTES
Bottled: JUIN 2013. The label of vintage Edouard is one of my favorite one and I liked the Jades vintage appearance much. When label was changed to a new one I was disappointed but on the other hand it is another century and it can’t be just absolutely the same and I think Jades modern variations are matching well our époque.

darkend_163 scores JADE L'ESPRIT D'EDOUARD 91 out of 100
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 30 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #191

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

When label was changed to a new one I was disappointed but on the other hand it is another century and it can’t be just absolutely the same and I think Jades modern variations are matching well our époque.

I think the label was changed because Pernod put some heat on Ted about it.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Jack Batemaster
post Sep 30 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #192

Le maistre d'appastate

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 127

Ricard aussi ?

--------------------

Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
Mon but est simplement d'obtenir Ricard hors de l'absinthe, juste lêchez le reste d'entre eux …
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 30 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #193

Master of Oblivion

Frick, Frack, & Friloux, Esq.
IPB Image

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Tibro
post Sep 30 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #194

Vaginafly trap

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2953

Butt do they drink assbinth? Er, absinthe.

I'm distracted. Surprised to learn that a real, live darkend™ has been actively trying to bleach his mouthhole with it for years.

Damn. Someone ought to come out with an absinthe product properly labeled "Bleach™". Butt it'd be against the law, woodn't it?

I don't understand. It's all Greek to me.

--------------------
When I wake up,
I try to convince myself that my arm
isn't there --
to retain my sanity.

Then I try to convince myself that it is.

Frank Bidart
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 30 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #195

Master of Oblivion

Maybe neither Pernod nor Ricard were involved. Having thought about it, what I think I remember (from a conversation with Ted), was that somebody, or some entity, had achieved a registration of some sort that would have prevented him (Ted) from using his existing labels in the U.S.
But Pernod-Ricard (okay, Jack?) had grumbled about the labels in any case, and grumbling from an outfit with billions of dollars is somewhat more ominous than farting in a general direction.

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 02:49 PM