menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

51 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modern Filteration vs Distillation, Which is better?
kyle
post Apr 17 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 1347

Historically Absinth was made by distillation. This is because Distillation is a means of filtration and creating a clean product. Today modern filters exist to produce the same product but without the distructive effects of distillation. The result is that absinth made by modern filters is superior to absinth made by distillation which is actually an inferior method of filtration due to the destructive effects of heat and boiling on the compounds released by the herbs into the alcohol in the production process. In short, absinth made the "vintage" way is inferior as the herbal properties are destroyed or decreased by distillation, and absinth made using modern filters is superior as those herbal properties are maintained during the filtration.

All "real" absinth is made from herbs, water and alcohol, this is the mascerate, the difference is how this macerate is treated to produce the final product: is it filtered or distilled.

Just because distillation was used in the past as a means of filtration, doesn't mean it is the best in today's world. At the time absinth was being distilled, it was also normal for a Doctor to have order a preson bled by leeches to cure an ailment.

I hope this will led to some debate about treatments of macerates to produce a final product. I believe it is provable that modern filtration is superior to vintage distillation.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Apr 17 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #2

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Yes but filtration separates things by size,
where distillation separates them by boiling point.
Do you have a filter that separates molecules according to how volatile (boiling point) they are?
That would be an amazing development in
the science of filtration.

--------------------
+Quote Post
AndrewT
post Apr 17 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 680

I think the only way you'll be able to prove this is by offering a filtered product to be sampled side by side with the best distilled products available. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're referring to some very new kind of filtration that hasn't been used on any commercially available absinthes yet.

Of course, a miraculous way of creating quality absinthe without distillation would be a great way for the HG market to take off, but I have serious doubts about the quality of modern filtration as compared to distillation. Even with the most modern technology, distilled water is still considered more pure than filtered water

--------------------
We’re the first new snow in winter, virgin white and crisply defined, armed with an ideology as neat as a snowflake, rigid and fine—a hexagonal wheel of ornate spears, as prickly as it is handsome. We explode with flags. The world will break on us like waves on coastal crags.
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Apr 17 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

I wouldn't call distillation a method of filtration but a method of extraction. During maceration, some of the components in the herbs dissolve in water while others dissolve in the alcohol. The distillation more or less separates the alcohol soluble compounds from the rest and leaves many undesirable ones like the bitter absinthins behind in the pot. I do not see how filtration could accomplish this same result.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
justabob
post Apr 17 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

I just picked up a pack of these "modern filters", I am trying one as we speak in my mister coffee.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
Grim
post Apr 17 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #6

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

The result is that absinth made by modern filters is superior to absinth made by distillation which is actually an inferior method of filtration due to the destructive effects of heat and boiling on the compounds released by the herbs into the alcohol in the production process.

I'm not convinced. There is more to the quality of an absinthe suisse extract, produced in congruence with historically proven methods, than the fact that it is distilled. Even among those spirits produced through distillation, there's good and bad. And I've never had a "mascerate" that could be compared with even the poorest of oil mixes.

Do you have an opinion on distillation conducted in vacuo?

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post
crosby
post Apr 17 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #7

The essence of mean crazy drunk.

Member No.: 6

Filtering absinth can only improve it.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
The Green Spirit
post Apr 17 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 861

het.gif

--------------------
The only way to get rid of a temptation, is to yield to it.
- Oscar Wilde, 1854 - 1900
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Apr 17 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #9

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

I'm currently laughing my ass of here... I'll get back on this one later, after I stop laughing.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Ari
post Apr 17 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #10

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 892

What modern day filter can sort substances based on boiling point, without actually boiling them?

What exactly are the destructive effects of distillation?

What are, "Herbal properties"?

Do any "unreal" absinths exist? (ones not made from herbs water and alcohol)

Leeches are still used in modern medicine. Although I don't see what doctors did has anything to do with how well distillation works compared to modern day filters.

--------------------
"you mean we're supposed to read 'em? i thought signatures were there to be ignored..."
+Quote Post
Zman
post Apr 17 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #11

Marc Bernhard

Member No.: 54

The only way to really know is to have a side by side blind comparison between a Jade product and one of these Bairnsfather "absinths." I know where I'm going to put my money.

--------------------
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
G.K. Chesterton

www.pacificdistillery.com
Makers of Voyager Single-Batch Distilled Gin and Pacifique Absinthe.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Apr 17 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #12

Clint Wormwood

Seriously, it would be lovely to see an absinth that truly did compare to a high grade "french or swiss" absinthe. I'd love to compare them, and if there are any samples to be had, bring them on.

However... I think I know exactly what's coming out of this...

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Hiram
post Apr 17 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #13

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

Every time I read that first paragraph, my head explodes.

I... I... I just...

Oh, nevermind.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Apr 17 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #14

Clint Wormwood

But hey... Making absinthe the "vintage" way is just plain wrong.. Oh yeah, it's laughable. It's down right wrong.

Come to think of it, if everything about absinthe is so wrong, why bother trying to duplicate it.

You could just label your bottles "Green Shitè" (but drop the "e" in the end, to be 'authentic'), put some floaties in it, enhace the KungFushone levels in your ads and be filthy rich.

Or wouldn't that work?

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Hiram
post Apr 17 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #15

Étouffeur de Perroquets

Member No.: 249

I've said it before: scruples is the only thing between me and certain wealth.

--------------------
"Fairy with sea green eyes and plum-colored coat, hair dressed with opals and emerald rings, your jealous sisters from villains your banishment secured, but none shall ever rise to your green throne, its velvet still preserving for our devotion the bilobate impression of your soft behind."
+Quote Post

51 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2018 - 11:55 AM