> Cami Toulouse Lautrec, Reviewed
Artemis
post May 9 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

According to http://www.1a-absinth.com

"This brand is made in a small czech destillery, according to an old family recipe from 1866. It is hard to find and has a good balanced, fruity taste that reminds a little of Segarra absinth."

AVERAGE SCORE 60

Reviewed by Hartsmar 5/2/2005

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
It's a blanche, and it's clear...

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
A nice louche is slowly being built up. It's not quite as thick as I'd want it, but it's very nice.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
A slight yellowish hue is present, just very little, but still there. Should be without that...

AROMA 17/30
Before adding water: It's a nice smell coming from the glass, but it's nothing very complex or intense. It's ordinary but not bad. After adding water: It's promising but it just won't come out of the glass. It never reaches a point where it's really good. It's just plain ordinary.

MOUTH-FEEL 5/10
It's rather nice but it could be fuller. It leaves a spicy form of after taste. I'm not saying it's bad, it's actually rather interesting. But the mouth-feel is nothing special.

TASTE 11/20
The taste is actually very nice. It's a bit unusual of sorts. It's that spiciness that keeps coming out. I think I recall something like that in the Kübler 57 as well. I do enjoy it, but it lacks some herbal complexity and that really smooth taste that many others present. Still, it's a decent drink.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 5/10
There is really nothing special about it. Nothing that is terribly bad but nothing that makes it stand out of the crowd, at least nothing that has anything to do with this score-sheet.

Hartsmar scores Cami Toulouse Lautrec 64 out of 100

Reviewed by Sea of Lament 6/7/2005

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Well, it’s clear.

LOUCHE ACTION 6/10
At first it’s very slow, almost thought there would be no louche. After 2 parts water it starts to develop and finally ends in a slightly thick louche.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
Milky-white, nothing more, nothing less.

AROMA 15/30
Before water: Alcoholic heat upfront with some anise and (cheap?) fennel in the background; nice but nothing spectacular.
After water: The aromas present in its neat form seem to take a backseat and a somewhat grassy scent takes over. I don’t know if this scent is intended or a mistake but unfortunately it is not a mouth-watering aroma.

MOUTH-FEEL 6/10
Sharp on the tongue and lacks smoothness, as well as more “creaminess” that’s characteristic of other blanches.

TASTE 9/20
The grassy scent is also present in the taste. There is a slight, lingering, after-taste in the back of the throat which has me confused, not all pleasant. I couldn’t finish more than half a glass.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 4/10
Not something I would buy. It’s not all bad but some flavors are too strong and lacks more complexity.

Sea of Lament scores Cami Toulouse Lautrec 58 out of 100

Reviewed by Artemis 6/15/05

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
It's clear.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Unusual louche. Drop after drop of water falls into the absinthe, with swirling, swirling oils, but it remains clear overall, until POOF - it's suddenly white, and almost opaque.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
Milky, could be thicker.

AROMA 15/30
Anise aroma, with something else I can't pin down, but I'm not sure I like it. Medicinal.

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
Not as creamy as a blanche should be, but not exactly thin.

TASTE 9/20
I don't like it. Tastes medicinal, but not in a good way.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 4/10
To what can I compare this? It's not like a Swiss "Blue". It's more like Absinthe Doubs than anything else, but whereas the Doubs is complex and pleasingly medicinal, this is monochromatic, and unpleasant. It doesn't leave me wanting another glass; in fact, I'm glad I've finished it and don't have to drink any more of it.

Artemis scores Cami Toulouse Lautrec 58 out of 100

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jun 17 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Master of Oblivion

Updated June 17th, 2005 - review by Sea of Lament added, average score recalculated.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jun 17 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

That sharp, medicinal, terpentiny taste is indicative of the presence of added oils -- maybe fennel oil as the fennel aroma seems way to strong. I thought the first taste was interesting but by the fourth sip it had to be tested as drain opener.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Jun 18 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #4

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

I agree. I have had a few glasses of it all spread over the last few weeks. It's a decent drinkable one, atleast the first glass. But as Artemis says, that's it. I couldn't sit drinking that an entire evening. There are other, much better, ones for that.

However, it's a huge leap forward for those eastern europeans. And I believe most of them actually has something to learn from this one!

Maybe Arthur Frayn could answer to whether or not there are added oils in it, but I actually don't think so.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Zman
post Jun 18 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Marc Bernhard

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Jaded Prol @ Jun 17 2005, 02:40 PM)
That sharp, medicinal, terpentiny taste is indicative of the presence of added oils -- maybe fennel oil as the fennel aroma seems way to strong.

Perhaps, but most descriptions that I have heard of it would lead me to believe that they are using common fennel as opposed to using Florence fennel. That bitter terpine taste is very indicative of fenchone which is in abundance in common fennel.

--------------------
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
G.K. Chesterton

www.pacificdistillery.com
Makers of Voyager Single-Batch Distilled Gin and Pacifique Absinthe.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jun 18 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Master of Oblivion

It doesn't have the funk I associate with low-grade fennel. It might be an overabundance of fennel - it does have a sort of piney profile that might be due to that. In any case, it's not well balanced, and not appetizing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jun 18 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Absinthe Mafia

It's got way too much fennel -- more than I think is possible without the addition of oils.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Breson
post Jun 18 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #8

Informed Imbiber

Group: Members
Member No.: 1292

I thought it smelled very medicinal, but it didn't taste so medicinal after 3:1 dilution. Or maybe it didnt taste as medicinal as I was expecting. I wasn't thrilled with it, but it wasnt at all bad. I would definitely drink it again.

--------------------
Asbinth makes me stoned
+Quote Post
morgueann
post Jun 19 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #9

NEVADA-TAN

Member No.: 769

user posted image

That's what I was telling grey boy.

Oh. And I forgot that this was supposed to be mainly reviews and review-related replies. Damn it.

Okay. Here goes. Absinthe is supposed to smell a might medicinal. Seriously. That's what herbs smell like. Sweet medicine. I don't see an issue.

--------------------
"I don't play with my friends." - Nevada
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Jun 19 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #10

Master of Oblivion

Okay, I had enough of the stuff left for a second drink, so I "revisited" it, being careful to water it 3:1, and even sugared it. It's worse than I first thought. The funk of low-grade fennel was noticable, and I couldn't even finish it. I deemed it sinkworthy and that's where it went. It's definitely got too much of crappy fennel, and it may well be due to poor fennel oil, because it reminds me of Deva, although it's not that murky. I was very generous in scoring it 58.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Jun 19 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #11

Clint Wormwood

Funny, because I just finished a glass myself... I had the same though, and went to give it another shot again. I can still drink the full glass, but that's really it. Crappy fennel? Yes, that might very well be it. That might be the funkiness I've been wondering about since day one.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 19 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #12

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

Hartsmar left a sample of this stuff at my house. I tasted something "medicinal" that I identify with certain pastis and almost never taste in absinthe. I didn't think it was fennel because I don't think fennel is in most pastis. I need to try it again.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Jun 19 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Absinthe Mafia

It's definitely fennel.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WhyteKnight
post Jun 20 2005, 04:51 AM
Post #14

Monsieur Piedlourde

Member No.: 824

Can it be safely said that the people at Cami are sort of on the right track though? Unfortunately this is probably not likely to convince any other "absinth" producers to work toward creating a better product, though.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Jun 20 2005, 06:32 AM
Post #15

Clint Wormwood

Yes, that's true. Compared to any other Czech, this is lightyears ahead.
It does have a long way to go, but it certainly beats the rest of them. This does however not comply to the rest of the Cami products which are all as bad as they come.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 03:40 PM