Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions for first time Absinthe drinker
reo
post Nov 12 2005, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Greetings everyone, over the last several weeks I have been reading everything that I could find on absinthe. In addition to reading the article in Wired, I have learned some new things and discovered some of my preconceptions were incorrect. Here is my question, what are some good brands that you could recomend for the first time absinthe drinker. I am not entirely new to drinking spirits and have a nice collection of mostly single malts and bourbons. Thanks for the feedback!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Nov 12 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #2

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 1747

I asked that question not to long ago. From reading reviews and feedback from several people I ordered five different ones. Of those I would suggest for the first time out:

Kubler 53
Montmartre
La Bleue Clandestine

Not necessarily in that order.

Read the reviews, if anything you will learn what to avoid.

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brett
post Nov 12 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Highland Absintheur

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

You are lucky to be a first time absinthe drinker during such a time when so much quality absinthe is availabe. Many of us who have been drinking it for a number of years started with such brands as Mari Mayans, La Fee, Deva or worse.

--------------------
"I can't sell Bjarne's paté, it tastes like jockstrap." - The Green Butchers
+Quote Post
reo
post Nov 12 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

I have seen the Mari Mayans advertised on other sites. Is it one I should avoid? I really would like to try the Nouvelle-Orléans but it is out of stock, do you think they will have more available before x-mas? One other thing that concerns me, I have read in some other posts that US buyers may get a second bill after the item is delivered. How common is this? Does Liqueurs de France charge additional fees after delivery. Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Nov 12 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

None of the vendors charge extra fees after delivery but Customs could. It partly depends on the courier service delivering the item. Regardless of that, always order by courier versus standard mail service. The shipment is insured against confiscation and will arrive much quicker. For the record, I've never received an invoice for duty on an order from LdF.

If you've never tried absinthe, the Fougerolles Verte & Blanche combo from LdF is a good place to start. It's relatively affordable and provides a baseline for both coloured and uncoloured absinthes. There are better brands and there are much, much worse. The Clandestine La Bleue is excellent as well. I like the Montmartre mentioned above but it may be a bit idiosyncratic for a first time absinthe tasting.

abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
badger
post Nov 12 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Garçon du poteau

Member No.: 741

QUOTE(reo @ Nov 12 2005, 05:29 AM) *

I have seen the Mari Mayans advertised on other sites. Is it one I should avoid? I really would like to try the Nouvelle-Orléans but it is out of stock, do you think they will have more available before x-mas?

Mari Mayans, in my opinion, is ok. It's a better alternative to the Czech products but is like a star anise bomb. As far as items being out of stock is concerned. LdF is fairly quick about restocking items, I wanted to order a bottle of Jade Euodard on Wednesday night but it was out of stock, the next morning when I woke up it was in stock again.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Nov 12 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #7

I think the issue with a surprise customs bill is now solved, Markus bought himself some new monkeys.

I've not tried Mari Mayans but I've heard it's not that bad.

If it wasn't for the cost of shipping, I'd probably try some of the brands that have a less than stellar review.

Read Artemis's reviews, if he gives it a decent review it's probably worth trying.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
jerseyguy
post Nov 12 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #8

Novitiate

Member No.: 1828

I just tried Mari Mayans for the first time last night, it is definately strong on the anise as well as the alcohol taste, it seemed similar to La Fee but with more of an after taste, it was definately drinkable, but as a newbie myself, I wish I chose something else.
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Nov 12 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Liquorista

Member No.: 22

>I really would like to try the Nouvelle-Orléans but it is out of stock, do you think they will have more available before x-mas?

the relief stock was held up in france this week due to friday being a holiday. it should be in stock in about 10 days, maybe less.

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Nov 12 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(jerseyguy @ Nov 12 2005, 10:40 AM) *

I just tried Mari Mayans for the first time last night, it is definately strong on the anise as well as the alcohol taste, it seemed similar to La Fee but with more of an after taste, it was definately drinkable, but as a newbie myself, I wish I chose something else.

The Jersey Devil made you do it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
jerseyguy
post Nov 12 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Novitiate

Member No.: 1828

exactly……….damn him. evill.gif
+Quote Post
Exquisite_Mischief
post Nov 12 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1637

QUOTE(reo @ Nov 12 2005, 06:29 AM) *

I have seen the Mari Mayans advertised on other sites. Is it one I should avoid? I really would like to try the Nouvelle-Orléans but it is out of stock, do you think they will have more available before x-mas? One other thing that concerns me, I have read in some other posts that US buyers may get a second bill after the item is delivered. How common is this? Does Liqueurs de France charge additional fees after delivery. Thanks again.

I have tried both Jade's Nouvelle-Orléans, and Jade's Absinthe Edouard, and both were AMAZING, however Nouvelle-Orléans I believe is even better than the Absinthe Edouard.. much the same flavour, but with even more of a pronounced "effect", and to me, it seemed richer, more dense, and in a GOOD way. A very nice louche too, I might add, which is important aesthetically!!

..Exquisite Mischief

--------------------
Ah! the Green Goddess! What is the fascination that makes her so adorable and so terrible? - Aleister Crowley
+Quote Post
TalkingRain
post Nov 13 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1804

Hi everyone,

I also am new here, and I'd like to ask for some discussion about US Customs charges for beverages shipped into the US from overseas. What have been your experience with Customs fees? How much do they typically run per bottle? Does a "duty free" concept ever apply to small orders?

If this has been discussed in the FAQ, I apologize: I must have missed it.
+Quote Post
jmfranc
post Nov 13 2005, 05:12 AM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1848

QUOTE(Exquisite_Mischief @ Nov 12 2005, 06:21 PM) *

I have tried both Jade's Nouvelle-Orléans, and Jade's Absinthe Edouard, and both were AMAZING, however Nouvelle-Orléans I believe is even better than the Absinthe Edouard.. much the same flavour, but with even more of a pronounced "effect", and to me, it seemed richer, more dense, and in a GOOD way. A very nice louche too, I might add, which is important aesthetically!!

..Exquisite Mischief

To each his own but I beg to differ with you on density and flavor. First, I prefer Edouard, but still love the N' Orleans. The Orleans is a bit thinner. The Edouard is thicker and creamier, similar to a preban Edouard. As for flavor, I mix each the same - just untill the clear layer has changed, and the Edouard, even being stronger at 72% abv, has a much smoother and refined taste. Nouvelle-Orléans has a lighter taste but does seem to ooze "classy" in it's taste - some have called this "more feminine". I guess Nouvelle-Orléans taste is for when you go out to the Ball, the Edouard taste is for when you're home and want to have something meaty and very fine.

QUOTE(TalkingRain @ Nov 12 2005, 11:38 PM) *

Hi everyone,

I also am new here, and I'd like to ask for some discussion about US Customs charges for beverages shipped into the US from overseas. What have been your experience with Customs fees? How much do they typically run per bottle? Does a "duty free" concept ever apply to small orders?

If this has been discussed in the FAQ, I apologize: I must have missed it.

Just order what you want, it will show up without any additional fees.

By the way, I know it's not absinthe related but has anyone had a Anchor Porter lately? I can't believe the blast of flavor this things got. OK, back to the drink at hand:

absintheglass-glow2.gif

--------------------
With each attempt, the odds of success greatly increase.

J. Nash

I AM JMFRANC

YOU WISH!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Exquisite_Mischief
post Nov 13 2005, 05:32 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1637

QUOTE(jmfranc @ Nov 12 2005, 11:12 PM) *

To each his own but I beg to differ with you on density and flavor. First, I prefer Edouard, but still love the N' Orleans. The Orleans is a bit thinner. The Edouard is thicker and creamier, similar to a preban Edouard. As for flavor, I mix each the same - just untill the clear layer has changed, and the Edouard, even being stronger at 72% abv, has a much smoother and refined taste. Nouvelle-Orléans has a lighter taste but does seem to ooze "classy" in it's taste - some have called this "more feminine". I guess Nouvelle-Orléans taste is for when you go out to the Ball, the Edouard taste is for when you're home and want to have something meaty and very fine.
Just order what you want, it will show up without any additional fees.
By the way, I know it's not absinthe related but has anyone had a Anchor Porter lately? I can't believe the blast of flavor this things got. OK, back to the drink at hand:

absintheglass-glow2.gif

I should have said "in my opinion" it is even better.. definitely both are superior absinthes, and its a very close tie in my own personal opinion of them. I like what you said about Nouvelle's taste, and will think about those words the next time I drink it.. its great to have found this board with other people sharing the same interest, as unfortunately a lot of people do not seem to even know what absinthe is..

--------------------
Ah! the Green Goddess! What is the fascination that makes her so adorable and so terrible? - Aleister Crowley
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 05:15 PM