Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Edit Button
Oxygenee
post Jan 8 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

This is in response to several queries, and sundry online grumblings, and relates both to Fee Verte, and to my Absinthe Collectors Forum.

There's no ideal solution when it comes to defining the time period after posting in which editing is allowed. We've adopted what we think is the "least-bad" compromise.

When I took over this site, I substantially increased the time period in which existing posts could be edited. The plus side is that there was lots of time to make corrections. The downside was that it allowed members to entirely delete their posts, long after they had originally appeared. In my opinion, this isn't acceptable, and is disrespectful to other members, who may have invested their time in composing a lengthy reply, only to see the original post disappear, and the whole thread become meaningless. This isn't a theoretical concern, it happened repeatedly, and some of the worst culprits were senior members.

So we've changed the parameter again, to only allow editing for a much shorter period after the initial posting: still more than long enough to proof-read it carefully several times over, but not long enough to go back and delete your post hours later, because you now regret having posted it in the first place. The flip side of course, is that if you discover a spelling mistake or typo long after posting, you can't go back and edit it anymore. I know this is annoying, but it seems to me - at least for now - the lesser of two evils.

This post has been edited by Oxygenee: Jan 8 2006, 04:12 PM

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post May 11 2006, 07:35 AM
Post #2

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

The time-period after posting in which editing is allowed has been slightly increased.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 06:03 AM