> Un Emile 68% (new version), Reviewed
hartsmar
post Jan 29 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

According to http://www.absintheonline.com/ :
New formula; The anise/wormwood profile has been lightly enhanced, which has also improved the body, overall aromas and louche-effect. Un Emile 68 is a premium absinthe traditionally made to a 19th century recipe by steeping Grand wormwood (Artemisia absinthium), green anise and other plants in alcohol and distilling the macerated charge in an absinthe still. The colour is achieved naturally by soaking plants in the distillate. Unlike cheaper modern absinthes,
no oils, sugar, or artificial colouring have been added. Likewise, no star anise is used, which was typical of the traditional Pontarlier absinthe recipes. To best appreciate the complex flavours and louche, it must be properly served by slowly dripping cold water into it, as should all the absinthes from the Emile Pernot distillery.

Un Emile 68% (new version)

AVERAGE SCORE 63

Reviewed by AndrewT 12/14/2005

COLOR BEFORE WATER 1/10
Still a very pale yellow. In the thinner parts of the glass, it looks clear.

LOUCHE ACTION 2/10
Very, very slow to begin. There are alot of dancing oil trails, but the actual cloudiness does not happen until very late in the dilution, and it never reaches opacity.

COLOR AFTER WATER 2/10
Very unimpressive. The only redeeming factor is that the incredibly thin louche gives it an amber tint from the ambient light (the amber tint is usually only visible when you hold it up to the light). The pale yellow pre-louche color transforms into a mere murkiness.

AROMA 19/30
Before water- The aroma is much stronger than the original version, and still has that very distinct Un Emile flavor. There is still a little bit of dustiness, but the base alcohol has a nice smooth fruity scent to it. Perhaps they are using wine spirits now?
After water- Wormwood is the predominant aroma after watering. There is actually quite a bit of aroma wafting out ofthe glass during the dilution, which I wasn't expecting. Not very complex, but not unpleasant.

MOUTH-FEEL 8/10
Mouth feel is surprisingly thick. The flavors linger for quite a bit.

TASTE 13/20
The taste is predominately wormwood, with some very subtle additional flavors. There is a residual bitterness to it that I find rather nice. There is still some dirtiness in the taste, though. It's very close to being pleasantly simple.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 5/10
Weak appearance aside, this is a decent middle shelf absinthe. There are still some flaws to fix, but the flavor is fairly enjoyable. It is certainly better than the old Un Emile, but not as better as I'd like it to be.

AndrewT scores Un Emile 68% (new version) 50 out of 100

Reviewed by Bruno Rygseck 11/9/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 8/10
The classic absinthe green which has started to turn feuille morte, i.e. slightly towards yellow. Eye-pleasing brilliance.

LOUCHE ACTION 8/10
Thin may it be, but using cold water and dripping/squirting slowly (brouille glass), two layers could be achieved: the anise cloud underneath and an oily-looking veil above it. The two combined to quite a nice louche after all the water was added (1/3 dilution).

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
The color is proper absinthe green also when louched, no fault here even though it could be thicker.

AROMA 21/30
Before water the lovely Pontarlier wormwood and some caramel dominated, during and after water it became weaker but nice all the time.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Not that rich as one would hope but still velvety and chewy. Could be a tiny bit creamier.

TASTE 15/20
Like real absinthe should. Anise sweetness is in good balance with the smooth astringent wormwood taste.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
In my opinion the "new" Un Emile 68 is a fine and real Pontarlier absinthe. It doesn't have a long lingering aftertaste or a rich mouthfeel but on the other hand it does not have overly perfumey tones or mouth-numbing star anise (as I understood there is none of it in the recipe).

PERSONAL NOTES
10 cl bottle from absinthe.de (formerly Absinthe Lion) bought about a year before this review.

Bruno Rygseck scores Un Emile 68 (new version) 75 out of 100

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Feb 24 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Absinthusiast

Group: Supreme Advisor
Member No.: 1596

guide updated! pirate2.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Sep 11 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Clint Wormwood

Update update update!

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Sep 20 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3169

Un Emile 68%

L00109

Reviewed by EdouardPerneau 9/20/2009

COLOR BEFORE WATER 0/10
Suposed to be green but it is not definatly undercolorated

LOUCHE ACTION 3/10
very slow to form see thru

COLOR AFTER WATER 6/10
whitish -blueish …

AROMA 12/30
neat :alcool a bit of herbs

louched: musky

MOUTH-FEEL 3/10
very thin and burning

TASTE 15/20
good wormwood with a pinch or anise and alchohol

OVERALL IMPRESSION 6/10
If the distiller would have kept more aromas from the tales I think that the absinthe should have been improved from the louche ,taste,mouthfeel

to my taste is not a bad absinthe but an absinthe that still need a lot of works

EdouardPerneau scores Un Emile 68% 45 out of 100

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Sep 21 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

EdouardP, the bottle with the white cap in
your post here is UE La Blanche…could it be that you have revieved that instead of UE verte?

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Sep 21 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

This is my bottle …

IPB Image

see it "supposed" to be green

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Feb 24 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #7

Clint Wormwood

A bit late here, but giving the color a ZERO out of 10 seems a bit rough. It may certainly not be green, but zero...? If it was purple I'd understand you.

So, before I add this to the guide I would like to hear more...

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 07:29 PM