> Republic of Absinthe -- Revolt!
MonsieurMustache
post Feb 4 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 1285

Republic of Absinthe -- Revolt!

Citizens of the Republic, a confession has been weighed! There are those of us who agree with what AndyAbsinth has had the courage to say on his illustrious website, that "the French brands focus more on taste, whilst the Czech brands focus more on effect."

What we find morally reprehensible regarding the environment of the FeeVerte.net message board, which for far too long has only been an absinthe message board, as opposed to its also being an absinth message board, is its cynical denial that the absinthe imbibed by those in the late 19th century, at the height of absinthe's popularity, was a combination rather than a segregation of aroma AND effect. Sadly enough, dear reader, what has evolved since then is the unwanted and hypocritical scenario where the 'taste of absinthe' is pitted against 'the effect of absinth', by 'educated ruffians' who pretend to belong to one side of the equation over the other, those intellectually dishonest purveyors of that unravelled party line who demonize absinth the way that their historical tormentors persecuted them, and who like their tormentors, choose not to recognize, in the erstwhile attempt of succumbing to a project of pointless debate or argument, that one side must complement and accept the existence of the 'other', in this instance, namely, the effects of absinth!

Yes, the snooty have told us over and over again, that the Jade absinthes are the 'best of the best', and perhaps they are, yes, perhaps they are...but the question must be asked, "are they the best in regards to taste primarily?" An intelligent person who has not had any of the Jade's thus far must ask themselves that very mysterious and sacred question, for the fact of the matter is that the FeeVerte.net absinthe review scoresheet does not include a section regarding effect. Shocking to consider, outrageous to comprehend, perhaps if effect were a component by which this 'Republic' valued its absinthe, then the Jades would not score as high as they do when effect is not measured -- perhaps some of the Czech style brands of absinth would score higher than they have, instead.

Yes, if there were such an intolerable thing as an absinth message board, that existed on the same scale as this intolerable FeeVerte.net message board does, then its moderators would most likely have their scoresheets focus primarily or solely on the strengths of the Czech style brands, rather than on its weaknesses, or lack of taste/aroma. Yes, they would most likely focus the lense of their scoresheet to view effect, and such, instead.

But we are not interested in absinthe that is either 'all taste/aroma' or absinth that is 'all effect'. What we have been waiting for is an accurate recreation of what absinthe was really like in the days before the great war. There are plenty of legal herbs available today that have psychedellic effects, and when used responsibly are not harmful -- that in the expertise hands of an accomplished chemist can be neutralized in terms of taste whilst retaining their effect, and thus serve as a substitute for the excess amount of wormwood (according to the miniscule standards set by the current day European Union) that went into at least some of the 19th century's absinthes. The hysteria of the then stagnant and thus faltering Puritan based morality that eventually resulted in the outright banning of absinthe, is an echo that a number of FeeVerte.net absintheurs continue to suffer from today, by their absolute refusal to ACCEPT that part of the glory of 19th century absinthe is that it did indeed have effects, and that along with taste/aroma, those effects were part of its charm.

It is time for modern day absinthe manufacturers to stop 'throwing out the baby with the bathwater'. It is time for them to splash themselves in the face with that water and remember that what is important is not only the 'body of absinthe', meaning that 'a good absinthe' is not only composed with 'all of the traditional ingredients', but it must be loudly proclaimed by each of them that their products, in order to attain true historical accuracy, must become true to the 'spirit of absinthe', and open the door for their beverages to have 'all of the effects', as well, even if it entails using today's legal psychedellic herbs that were not necessarily a part of traditional recipes, for it must also be remembered, that that which is of spirit is that which is timeless, and is morally able, if required by necessity, to transcend the traditions of the past, whilst retaining its cherished integrity.

Such a memory is what the citizens of this Republic have lost, and we are here to help them find it again, for its adherents have taken on the ridiculous and oppressive role of the early 20th century prohibitionist, and thus this message board community has lost touch not so much with absinthe's 'body', as it has with absinthe's 'soul'. That is why the conversations on this message board, for the most part, are so petty and egotistical, so bankrupt in the eyes of those who value the arts, and spirituality. Such a community has reduced itself to glaringly idiotic remarks and flippant comments such as 'tripping balz' and the like, displaying a feeble vocabulary (the limits of ones language are the limits of one's reality - Ludwig Wittgenstein) when it comes to communicating and expressing and encouraging sophisticated ideas and descriptions regarding effects.

The beauty of 19th century absinthe is that it was an entheogen. It put one in touch with the goddess of the wormwood herb in the good company of a number of others in her garden, those veritable plants whose co-operative parts equal and manifest the intangible being known as the Green Fairy, but what do we have today, in this 'Republic'? An overabundance of individuals who discredit myths, for no other reason than because they are myths? What else is one to say, that there really was or is no such apparition as the Green Fairy? That she too was a 'myth'? Our beloved is never mentioned in this community with even a modicum of reverence and humility. She has been repeatedly ignored, and to that we lovers of her prayer have had enough. Such a poor attitude on behalf of the 'scientifically minded', is really a remnant of the atheism and nihilism that unfairly banned absinthe from early 20th century western civilization in the first place, out of a fearful submissiveness to the blowhards and braggarts of Christian fundamentalism. But in Europe, and in a number of other countries, those villains have not been able to withstand the changes of Time. We who are not ignorant do as we must, and stand up and proclaim, "Away with the notion that absinthe should not have effects! Absinthe and absinth each have beneficial qualities, and the goal of true absintheurs and true absinthe manufacturers is to produce a beverage that has outstanding taste/aroma AND effects!"

Having said all that, a few of us direct a question to those of you whom have had the Pernod Absinthe, as well as the La Fee Parisian, as both are now available in Canada. Yes, we are well aware that neither of those two absinthes rate very high on the unfairly biased and Puritan based FeeVerte.net absinthe review scoresheet, and so we must ask, "Would either or both of those absinthes rate any higher were effect to have been included as a measurement?" If effect were given a score of out of 30, as aroma on their scoresheet already is, and the FeeVerte.net scoresheet were to then have a maximum total of 130, rather than its current maximum of 100, then according to some of you, what would you score each of those brands of absinthe to be? And if you are of a nature that is especially innovative, consider yourself welcome to include any other characteristics that you personally feel are strengths regarding a new kind of scoresheet that is trustworthy enough in which to focus upon effect as well as it does upon the characteristics of taste/aroma.

Yes, we know that Pernod Fils regarding amount of wormwood was not found to be substantially higher than the amount of wormwood that is legal in the European Union, but it must be pointed out that there were hundreds of different brands of absinthe during the 19th century. There are numerous historical documents that provide evidence that there were absinthes during that time that did have effects. What has not been openly discussed is that it might very well have been the case that Pernod Fils was an absinthe that Victorians drank in public, but not in private. We all know how ludicrously prim and proper the surface of Victorian society was, and consequently, how rich in 'sin' and creativity, its counterculture was inspired to be.

May a new day of rain bleed its colourful rays of sunshine down upon the shores of this weary and tired Republic! May the laughter of an inhabited conscience mingle with the promise we foretell of this message board's long awaited Queen! May the spirit of a new future be given enough space in which to breathe, enough to invigorate this serving of humanity into the age where the best qualities of absinthe AND absinth find themselves to be felicitously woven into a tapestry wherefore the definitions of their most paradoxical characteristics are suitably refined.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Head_prosthesis
post Feb 4 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #2

The original "red headed sausage wrangler"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

Hey while you're at it, go make yourself
a Malt Liquor and Night Train effects forum
with full updated tasting
I mean "trippin' ballz" reviews.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Feb 4 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #3

Keeper Of The Imp

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 12

My Monitor Hurts.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post
Head_prosthesis
post Feb 4 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #4

The original "red headed sausage wrangler"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

QUOTE(Head_prosthesis @ Aug 18 2004, 11:20 PM) *

Absolutely.

I've felt the urge to regurge after too many drinks
of (insert brand) and not really noticed any kind of
side effect other than drunk.

The Mayor on the other hand... He's like a beacon, like
a divining rod for "secondaries". His radar is up and at'em.

Some people can feel the difference, I can't honestly
say I notice any. Maybe it has more to do with experimenting
with different substances. I am NOT very "experienced" as
they say.

Nor can I say with any confidence I know what I am talking about
but hey you're plenty free to discuss secondaries.

Just don't blubber about it and go all freedom facist
when someone has some perspective that greatly
differs from your own, Herr Lipp.

+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Feb 4 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #5

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

I think that I should start drinking gin again.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
grey boy
post Feb 4 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #6

The Snitty One™

Member No.: 233

Yawn.

It is about taste, just like beer, otherwise we'd all drink Budweiser for the effects.

Drinking for "secondaries" is for clueless fools that can't create/think without help.

This post has been edited by grey boy: Feb 4 2006, 02:10 AM

--------------------
You will find me if want me in the garden
unless it's pouring down with rain.
+Quote Post
Fredie
post Feb 4 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #7

Morose Chevalier

Member No.: 1095

huh.gif Wow, When did Moss lose his job at La Fee?!?! ... and get hired by Hills!! winnie.gif

...no wait, He says his favorite liqueur is Damiana,

Maybe it's just Celt trying to take the piss out....

This post has been edited by Fredie: Feb 4 2006, 02:25 AM

--------------------
"...like Flaubert or the flowers of Baudelaire. Much maligned yet so refined, come dance with me sweet La Fee Verte. She’s my weakness – My rhapsody in green. A Pandora’s box of secrets, hold me please.... my sweet Opaline."
+Quote Post
zachM
post Feb 4 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 1594

I understand the point of that message but I am not going to praise something I can not drink. Now if we were talking about cocaine I would agree with you. Cocaine is not prasied for its taste or smell but its effects. If someone wants to drink something that tastes bad for whatever reason that is their priority. I feel I should write more but I am on the edge of a good fit so I am going to stop. I am sure someone else will continue.

--------------------
"things cannot be otherwise than as they are:for all being created for an end, all is necessarily for the best end." Voltaire
+Quote Post
Fredie
post Feb 4 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #9

Morose Chevalier

I told you before Zach.... Stop trying to eat your cocaine and just snort it like everybody else!! wacko.gif
+Quote Post
zachM
post Feb 4 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #10

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 1594

I stopped eatting and snorting that wonderful substance a good while ago. I am strictly a drunk now. I cant say it is any better for my health but people look on it much better.

--------------------
"things cannot be otherwise than as they are:for all being created for an end, all is necessarily for the best end." Voltaire
+Quote Post
Wild Bill Turkey
post Feb 4 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #11

Honorary Union Thug

Member No.: 1740

QUOTE(MonsieurMustache @ Feb 3 2006, 05:42 PM) *

Sadly enough, dear reader, what has evolved since then is the unwanted and hypocritical scenario where the 'taste of absinthe' is pitted against 'the effect of absinth', by 'educated ruffians' who pretend to belong to one side of the equation over the other, those intellectually dishonest purveyors of that unravelled party line who demonize absinth the way that their historical tormentors persecuted them, and who like their tormentors, choose not to recognize, in the erstwhile attempt of succumbing to a project of pointless debate or argument, that one side must complement and accept the existence of the 'other', in this instance, namely, the effects of absinth!

That is the longest, most convoluted and unreadable sentence I've ever seen.
And there's 97 more where that came from. frusty.gif

The effects of any drug, including alcohol, vary wildly from one person to another, depending on their body chemistry and what they've already consumed. The descriptions people will give about how any one glass of any drink makes them "feel" on any given day are going to be so subjective as to be useless in a serious review. I wouldn't read a review that tried to include that shit, except for it's comedic value.
+Quote Post
Fredie
post Feb 4 2006, 03:05 AM
Post #12

Morose Chevalier

Educated Ruffians?!?!? blink.gif

And here I was calling them all Louchebags.....

Damn it, I WANT TO BE AN EDUCATED RUFFIAN!!!!! pirate2.gif abs-cheers.gif pirate2.gif

Fuck this mustacheoed Louchebag!!! harhar.gif

--------------------
"...like Flaubert or the flowers of Baudelaire. Much maligned yet so refined, come dance with me sweet La Fee Verte. She’s my weakness – My rhapsody in green. A Pandora’s box of secrets, hold me please.... my sweet Opaline."
+Quote Post
Zman
post Feb 4 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #13

Marc Bernhard

Member No.: 54

That mustachioed feller is spewin' a load of poop.gif

This post has been edited by Zman: Feb 4 2006, 03:08 AM

--------------------
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
G.K. Chesterton

www.pacificdistillery.com
Makers of Voyager Single-Batch Distilled Gin and Pacifique Absinthe.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Feb 4 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #14

Keeper Of The Imp

Member No.: 12

Mr. Moustache The Absinthe Effects Spokesman.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Feb 4 2006, 03:27 AM
Post #15

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

I like his Winston, er, I mean winning smile, Impy.

This post has been edited by Assstomp: Feb 4 2006, 03:30 AM

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post

15 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 04:03 AM