menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scoring system and personal preference, ...how to do it?
traineraz
post Oct 24 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #91

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 38

Edit: Damn, you people post fast, making me go back and quote Donnie:

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Oct 24 2006, 08:40 AM) *

But is IS immoral to artificially colour an absinthe, and I will carry out my Absinthe Inquisition undeterred, putting makers of artificially green absinthe on the rack and setting it to 10. evill.gif

See, this is where you miss Free-dee (here, and the rifle range. Runs fast, Free-dee does.). Who's going to pop up and randomly shout, "Nobody expects . . . " etc.?

The question really coming to my mind now is: Who is the current review system and Buyer's Guide designed to serve?

Is it designed for professional industry critics and/or experienced absintheurs, or for Average Joe who wants to make a good purchase decision? I'd always thought the idea of the Buyer's Guide was to guide buyers who lack the experience to make good choices, not so we can tell each other, "go read my review, don't waste my time asking me about Brand X."

Hypothetical example:
Average Joe wants to try a new absinthe. Joe comes here to read up on the subject, and sees reviews about color in the bottle, aroma before adding water, etc. Joe doesn't care, he's not going to spend $100 to stare at a bottle or open the top and sniff it all night, he's going to drink it. Joe wants to know what it smells/tastes like when he drinks it. Joe wonders, if color in the bottle is so important, why isn't there a section on bottle and label design, too? (Discount 3 points for screw-tops?)

Personally, I tend to side with Joe. An absinthe may score 10 of 10 points on color in the bottle and 8 of 15 on taste (Pernod 68, perhaps?), and end up with a higher ranking (18 of that 25) than one scoring 3 on color (Blanchette/Old Yeller, anyone?) and a 13 on taste (16 of that 25). The P68's star anise probably also gives it a thicker louche, hence another score boost, perhaps bringing it to 6 or 7 points ahead of the Blanchette. The "overall impression" correction might end up giving them equal scores. Doesn't this result in scores which, while perhaps appropriate to professional industry critics, are confusing and inappropriate to the Guide's target audience?

I'd never suggest dropping the existing reviews or anything of that nature; not only is there far too much work involved, but also a great deal of raw data has been captured which should not be lost. However, is it possible to re-weight the categories (perhaps just adding a separate, "taste-centered" score) using the same raw data, to achieve a score that will have meaning for Average Joe?

The "taste-centered" score would be much like the "when you drink" suggestion put forth by Absinthizer, but this score as an addendum to, not replacement for, the overall score. Perhaps in the "taste-centered" score, the existing raw numbers for appearance, pre-louche aroma, and louche experience get knocked back to 25% of their current weight, with the emphasis being redistributed to primary taste/aroma and aftertaste experiences.

Edit #2: 25% is a random % I picked out of the air -- they're flitting about all over the office, and me without a %-swatter -- not a judgement of these categories' relative value.

I do agree that DrinkBoy's 5-point scales are generally too narrow, particularly to judge flavors/aromas (OK for a louche, though); but he has some ideas which seem worth looking at, like an aftertaste review, and (through his experience with his system) the dropping of pre-louche aroma as a significant category.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ari
post Oct 24 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #92

Informed Imbiber

Group: Members
Member No.: 892

Drinkboy's review system seems more like a way to categorize absinthe, unlike the more competition based 100 point system. In it top level absinthe will get similar scores, and so will mid, etc., with differences in those categories coming from the reviewers opinions that aren't specifically quantified. Although it doesn't rank absinthe it does take care of the more subjective issues in the 100 point system by regulating them to comments and not numbers.

I like both systems as I don't think it's possible to create a perfect one that takes care of everyones issues. Thus more information, properly organized, will always give a better result.

--------------------
"you mean we're supposed to read 'em? i thought signatures were there to be ignored..."
+Quote Post
justabob
post Oct 24 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #93

Absinthism survivor

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 24 2006, 09:38 AM) *

But you do need to have the actual absinthe in front of you when reviewing it.

10/4 boss, I will breakout the Segara and blow the dust off the Deva.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Oct 24 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #94

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

So... SHIT!
I just finished four score-sheets. Swedish sewer system is in better shape than ever, I tell you.

Neto Costa, Tabu 55, Segarra 45 and last something I could actually finish a glass off, the L'Artisanale.
Complete scores will be added to the B.G as soon as I get them in digital form. I need another drink of something good first.

For now, I can tell that the scores range from 27 to 84.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 24 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #95

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

I'd happily review the L'Artisinale too...IF I HAD SOME!

Something tells me it wasn't the Tabu, Segarra or Neto Costa that earned the 84.
+Quote Post
bob_chong
post Oct 24 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #96

Paging Dr. CHONGER!!!

Member No.: 891

Neto Costa? Wow, you really took one for the team!

--------------------
To Sir Piss, With Love
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Oct 24 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #97

Absinthe Mafia

If anyone would care to send me a sample of this L'Artisanale of which you speak, I'd be happy to review it.

Or just about anything else, for that matter.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Oct 24 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #98

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

We could use another review of the Neto Costa if he'll send you the leftovers.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 24 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #99

Alethiometer

Not worth the price of shipping.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Oct 24 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #100

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

There is about 60 cl left of the original 70cl in that Neto Costa bottle. I have had that bottle since around 2001 or something I think. Need I say more about which scored in at 27?

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Oct 24 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #101

Absinthe Mafia

Well, I was hoping for the l'Artisanale (Wasn't Markus or LDF supposed to be stocking that by now?!), but reviewers can't be choosers.

Besides, someone in the States has to establish a physical library of Absinthes Terrible . . . or has someone already got one going? (Preferably someone who moves less frequently than I: Twice in the last month, and now looking at again in December or so, depending on interviews . . . then maybe 6-9 months after that, depending upon finances!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wild Bill Turkey
post Oct 24 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #102

Honorary Union Thug

Member No.: 1740

QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 24 2006, 02:30 PM) *

Need I say more about which scored in at 27?

Amazing! Having tried the Gatorade, er, Tabu, I'm astonished that anything scored lower.
+Quote Post
Gertz
post Oct 24 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #103

Scandi Mobster

Member No.: 134

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 24 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Balls, as Kierkegaard would say.

In Danish, words for male reproductive organs aren't used in that sense, so no, he wouldn't.

He might, however, have used some term referring to urine or flatulence.

--------------------
So it goes.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Oct 24 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #104

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

The more I think about it (and the more I drink) I like G&C's dictum -- drink it or sink it. I think that should be included as the bottom line on reviews.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 25 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #105

Alethiometer

That's why I hope the Buyer's Guide eventually includes a "Hit List" and a "Shit List". Personal preference can have a lot do to with it, but the Hit List could be absinthes that reviewers generally recommend with confidence, ordered from first to last in terms of quality, and the "Shit List" would obviously be all the absinthes that reviewers generally score around 60 points or less (obviously that # is my subjective opinion, higher or lower is at the discretion of the Admin). That's basically a more specific way of saying "Sink it or Drink it".

PS Hartsmar I just reviewed the Blanche Traditionelle Brut D'Alambic so you can add that the guide.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 11:14 PM