Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blanche absinthe opinions
wooperman
post Apr 4 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 1969

Of the many la blues and la blanches there are a few that have gone unreviewed. Namely Un Emile 68 Blanche and White Fairy.
Reading back through the archives Blanche De Foug was at one time the best absinthe going, even better it seems than vertes.
Kubler 53 recieved praise too, but seems to be less so with newer releases.

My question...I have tasted Kubler...so i will be able to have a point of reference.... will you rank: Emile La Blanche, White Fairy, BDF, and Kubler 53 ? I'd like to figure out what to order in the blanche category. Add a reccomendation if I left out one of the best non-greens.

thanks

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wild Bill Turkey
post Apr 4 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Honorary Union Thug

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 1740

Just FYI, it's la bleue, and simply blanche, not la blanche. And you've left out the best, the Clandestine. The basic Clandestine, in the blue bottle. That's the stuff...
+Quote Post
jacal01
post Apr 4 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Danse McCobb

Member No.: 1467

Brut d’alambic
Clandestine
Kübler
Combier Blanche
BdF
White Fairy
Un Emile Blanche
+Quote Post
Selmac
post Apr 4 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #4

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 763

I might even switch the K53 and the Combier Blanchette (the yellow color doesn't really bother me) in that list, otherwise I agree. I have a bottle of Kubler right now that isn't quite as good as I remember.

Absinthes that are unrated are often so due to the fact that much better products are available (either that or they are new). Long story short, you can't go wrong with Clandestine or the Brut.

--------------------
"All that we really need is a change in our point of view toward life & a keener perception regarding the things that count & the things which merely burden us" - Gustav Stickley
+Quote Post
Jade Kiss
post Apr 4 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #5

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2026

I'm in love with the Kübler 53. More so now than when I first got it, it seems that the flavours have mellowed out quite a bit (if that's possible, or maybe it's just my imagination) in the few months since I first opened it. It doesn't quite have that rough finish to it anymore. And god damn, diluted with 4 parts ice water and a sugercube it makes for some fine drinkin'

I have yet to try the Clandestine though, perhaps I'll like that one even more.
+Quote Post
tristan
post Apr 5 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #6

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2058

Personally, I prefer Vertes to Blanches, but the two I've had - Blanche de Fougerolles and Kübler 53 - have both been very tasty.

I sampled the Clandestine once at a friends place, and although I thought it was quite nice, I have to admit to being a little bit disappointed. However, I've been meaning to try it again; It had come so highly recommended that I think our expectations were way to high... I think the term "Life Changing" was overselling it a bit.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 5 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #7

amateur d'absinthe

Member No.: 34

Brut d'Alambic
Blanchette
Eichelberger blanche
Clandestine
BdF
Kubler

I wouldn't buy any others at this point.
+Quote Post
Stomp Brockmore
post Apr 5 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 1894

I love the CLB. Of the blanches and la bleues that I've had so far, it's easily the best (that is, aside from an HG blanche I had recently). The Kübler 53 behind that, then the Valote Bovet. I'll pick up a bottle of the Combier Blanchette when in Paris at the end of the month. Looking forward to trying that one. But anyway, to the original question: I haven't had the Un Emile Blanche or the White Fairy, but the Kübler 53 is very good in my opinion, and also quite affordable.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Apr 5 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #9

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

the Brut d'Alambic is in my opinion by far the best available blanche. It differs from the regular "La Bleue" style though so if that's what you want you should go with the Clandestine.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
wooperman
post Apr 9 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Absinthusiast

I ended up going with the deal from LDF...the special offer called: blanche duo...could not pass up the price. Blanche de Foug and Un Emile Blanche for 60 pounds, wanted to try both anyway...added Eichelberger too while i was at it...i may go full fledged with a review in the future, but for now, just a few comments...still working on understanding what my taste buds tell me.

The BDF was good with a strong louche...so thick it seems wrong? Isnt there something about too thick of a louche meaning presence of star anise? I read that BDF has no star anise, but any thicker and it would be a milk shake. Flavor was good though. All of absinthe's constituents are there, but other herbs too that make it complex and nice.

The Emile Blanche....hmmm...its good, in its own way, it's as good as the really good ones i've had....

I have to go back to the beginning. The first absinthe I ever tasted was Francois Guy. I thought "this is what absinthe IS". Since then I realized that there are so many variables and ingredients that make this drink complex. I know many of the flavors: Wormwood, anise, fennel, melissa...but i dont know what hysopp or ysopp tastes like.
The first absinthe I had - that went way outside of the wormwood, anise, fennel realm - was Markus' prototype 72%. I could tell it was good, but I didnt understand the all flavors. Now that I have tried BDF, Emile Blanche, and Eichelberger....I can tell that his was pretty good, and that there are more than three things to be looking for.

Back to the Emile Blanche- It has great flavor to me. What ever is in Markus' prototype, is also in Emile Blanche. Tastes like it was made with good base...but the louche was as thin. Like water with a few drops of milk added to it. It makes a lovely color of opal but very very thin.

After all my experiments, VDF, BDF, Kubler53, EMile Blanche, Montamatre, Lemercier 72 & Amer, the green- bottle-Spanish absinthes, Doubs, and Eichelberger (no Jades yet)...I think Kubler tastes the best.

I have typed this, a few thoughts at a time, during which i have sipped on several of the brands listed above...feeling tipsy, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about anymore. When you taste one that's bad, you know it: to swallow is to suffer. When you taste one that's good, it's not hard to arrive at that conclusion. I hope absinthe never goes through a Budwiesification.

Thanks for being there La Fee Verte!

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Apr 9 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #11

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(prattwink @ Apr 9 2006, 05:33 PM) *

Back to the Emile Blanche- Tastes like it was made with good base

Can't be beet.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Apr 10 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #12

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

OH, SNAP!

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
wooperman
post Apr 10 2006, 03:53 AM
Post #13

Absinthusiast

Really?...it seems better than Lemercier...what ever that is.

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
+Quote Post
justabob
post Apr 10 2006, 05:10 AM
Post #14

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

Messin with the noobs again LS

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
wooperman
post Apr 11 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #15

Absinthusiast

Please put your elite status' to use and review some of these.

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 10:20 PM