menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here's a truth, It's mighty inconvenient.
traineraz
post Aug 17 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 38

Hypocrisy sucks. Of course, I'm gonna poke holes in the story, too.

How Green Is He?
Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe
By PETER SCHWEIZER, USA Today

Al Gore has spoken: The world must embrace a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To do otherwise, he says, will result in a cataclysmic catastrophe. "Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb," warns the website for his film, An Inconvenient Truth. "We have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tailspin."

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself. Note: No details about the homes' energy efficiency, etc. are here given.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths. Can't argue much on that.

Gore is not alone. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has said, "Global warming is happening, and it threatens our very existence." The DNC website applauds the fact that Gore has "tried to move people to act." Yet, astoundingly, Gore's persuasive powers have failed to convince his own party: The DNC has not signed up to pay an additional two pennies a kilowatt hour to go green. For that matter, neither has the Republican National Committee. Well, duh.

Maybe our very existence isn't threatened?

Gore has held these apocalyptic views about the environment for some time. So why, then, didn't Gore dump his family's large stock holdings in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum? As executor of his family's trust, over the years Gore has controlled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Oxy stock. Oxy has been mired in controversy over oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas. Not having investigated myself, how recently a controversy? What else is Oxy doing? Are they investing in renewable resources, like BP?

Living carbon-neutral apparently doesn't mean living oil-stock free. Nor does it necessarily mean giving up a mining royalty either.

Humanity might be "sitting on a ticking time bomb," but Gore's home in Carthage is sitting on a zinc mine. Gore receives $20,000 a year in royalties from Pasminco Zinc, which operates a zinc concession on his property. Tennessee has cited the company for adding large quantities of barium, iron and zinc to the nearby Caney Fork River. Again, how recently? Did the company clean up their act? Or is this ongoing?

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life? Giving up the zinc mine or one of his homes is not asking much, given that he wants the rest of us to radically change our lives. Using compact fluorescent bulbs is a radical change? Encouraging renewable energy is a radical change? How is making a hybrid one's next auto purchase radical, especially with all the new incentives?

Peter Schweizer is a research fellow at the Hoover Institution and author of Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Aug 17 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #2

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

Leonardo DiCaprio drives a Prius and recently built an eco-resort for travellers that is solar powered and uses unheated sea-water in the showers. He also flies on airplanes.

Boy, what a fucking hypocrite.

The point is, that while Al Gore is not doing ALL he can, he is doing something, which is a 100% more than what the Bush administration's policies are advocating.

This article features a logic typical of so many political writers. Don't address the substance of any arguments, just attack the person who made the arguments. Does it make sense to ignore EVERYTHING Al Gore says because he profits from Oxy shares and a Zinc mine? I may not like Al Gore or his obnoxious crazy wife, but I don't see how him profiting from shares in a polluting company can possibly negate all the science which proves global warming is increasing and is a problem. Should we lynch the guy who is bringing that science to the attention of a lot of people because his house isn't wind powered?
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Aug 17 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #3

Absinthe Mafia

Who said anything about Leonardo DiCaprio? Is he a leading environmental advocate?

I would say that profiting from a company which is dumping carcinogens into surface water is indeed hypocritical of Al Gore. That's why I asked whether it was recent or if the company cleaned up their act.

For example, if Pasminco was cited in the 1950s, and has had a clean record since, there's no foul, and the author is bullshitting. If, on the other hand, the citation was in 2000 (according to several resources on the Web, but I've yet to find a seminal source), and if, say, the company ranks rather high on total releases and cancer risk releases (see here, 2002 rankings), well, then yeah, it'd be hypocritical of an environmental advocate to have ongoing business with the company unless they were making solid progress toward correcting their errors.

The Occidental Petroleum issue is nicely stated on Wikipedia, if this source is to be trusted:

From 1992 to 2001, Occidental Petroleum incurred substantial resistance in its attempts to drill for oil in the territory of the U'wa people in northeast Colombia. The resistance was apparently over concern for environmental damage, tribal beliefs (the group believe that oil is the "blood of the earth" and should not be removed) and fear that development would bring strangers and violence to their region. They believe oil infrastructure will be a target for violent leftist guerillas in the country. After years of shareholder resolutions, legal battles, extensive civil disobedience and a failed test well, the company abandoned the project, which is now continued by Repsol YPF.

So here, the question is whether Gore held OXY shares during this dispute and was aware of the issue. Again, if the answer is yes to both, that's hypocritical activity for an environmental advocate. But I don't have the answers to those questions, and I doubt our author does, either.

I would say that telling everyone to switch to clotheslines and compact fluorescents and small houses would be hypocritical coming from someone with a 10,000 sf house. However, I know that I for one would view that 10,000 SF house very differently if it were a historic property which had been retrofitted with energy-saving and/or energy-producing features, or a new place built to high efficiency standards with local materials, rather than a snazzy new place with oil-fired heat built entirely of imported materials. Our author doesn't seem to know or care about such things.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Aug 17 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

Streisand told Tikkun magazine that "We continue to thrive on this earth, but in order to do so, we must adapt to a more sustainable way of life. While there is still some time to alter our way of living, we must begin to behave respectfully and honor these sacred gifts—our rolling hills, the depths of our blue oceans and rivers, the richness of our forests and plants and the vastness of our land." Contradicting this statement, Ms. Streisand has consumed in excess both water and air conditioning in her private life, and invested greatly in oil companies and Halliburton. She also sued Ken and Gabrielle Adelman for $50 million when the Adelmans posted aerial photos of her Point Dume estate while it was undergoing extensive development. This raised the ire of many in the environmentalist movement, who opposed such development, and the case was thrown out by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge.

Another one.

I might need to buy that book, I need a good laugh.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
jacal01
post Aug 17 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #5

Danse McCobb

Group: Members
Member No.: 1467

Don’t know about all that political posturing, but this has currently got me pumped:

Auto X Prize
Hi-Wire (ignore Mazda)
Muscle EV
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Aug 17 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Alethiometer

So since Al Gore is hypocritical, should we just ignore his movie then, it's probably bullshit?

It wouldn't surprise me if he were hypocritical. He's a politician, even if he isn't in office currently. Find me one who isn't, and then let's elect them.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Aug 17 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them away.

Ronald Reagan

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Aug 17 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #8

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Spike Lee has made a film about Katrina. He just screened it in NOLA.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Aug 17 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #9

Absinthe Mafia

I never said there was no value in Gore's movie. Neither did the author, for that matter.

Part of healthy political debate is the ability to understand and acknowledge other points of view. Rather than attacking the fact that someone said bad things about Al Gore, perhaps a more productive approach would be to point out good things he's done. I don't doubt there are many.

"It's true that Al Gore has a 10,000 SF house. However, he converted it to solar power, added a geothermal heat pump, a greenroof, and greywater system." <-- good debate

"Someone said something I don't like about Al Gore, and I can't refute any of it, so I'm just gonna spout sarcastic nastiness including vulgarities in return." <-- bad debate

I find it quite interesting that you (Donnie) seem to actually be angry at ME for posting the article, and even assume I agree wholeheartedly with it, when I'm the one who pointed out the holes in the author's logic!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacal01
post Aug 17 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #10

Danse McCobb

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Aug 17 2006, 03:24 PM) *
It wouldn't surprise me if he were hypocritical. He's a politician, even if he isn't in office currently. Find me one who isn't, and then let's elect them.

Hear, hear. Even if it is posturing, I like the position that he’s staked out for policy, as opposed to some notable others.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Aug 17 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Absinthe Mafia

Thanks for posting about the Auto X-Prize! That could get some great entries!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacal01
post Aug 17 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #12

Danse McCobb

I'm hoping, and in an aggressive time frame. There’s an interesting take on why 100 mpg is the holy grail on the AXP Blog.
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Aug 18 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #13

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

Ad hominem attacks do not lessen the relevence of the message. We are all hypocrites in some area of our lives. There are no saints.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Aug 18 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #14

Alethiometer

QUOTE(Artemis @ Aug 17 2006, 07:33 PM) *

Spike Lee has made a film about Katrina. He just screened it in NOLA.

I saw a version of it. 4 hours long, and will be on HBO. It's called "When the Levee Broke". I thought they were waiting to screen it until the 25th (anniversary of the hurricane), but maybe that's when it's premiering on HBO. Spike said he was hoping the movie would help put a few people in jail. It's unlikely that any movie could do that, given that many in the administration are apparently invincible, but it does make the appalling indifference of the administration in the days following the hurricane crystal clear and downright shocking. Of course it's biased, but there's some accurate information in there which will rock some boats regardless of whether the tone is biased or not.

I'm sure someone will publish an article shortly calling Spike a hypocrite for not personally getting on a fishing boat looking for survivors after the hurricane hit.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Aug 18 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #15

Alethiometer

QUOTE(traineraz @ Aug 17 2006, 07:43 PM) *

I find it quite interesting that you (Donnie) seem to actually be angry at ME for posting the article, and even assume I agree wholeheartedly with it, when I'm the one who pointed out the holes in the author's logic!

Where did I say I was angry at you? I never even addressed you. I addressed the logic of the article. Why are you taking my criticism of the article personally? You didn't write it and I have no idea whether you agree with it or not.

The article, while not directly addressing the substance of Gore's movie, does intentionally try to discredit Gore and by extenstion, the message of his movie.

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life?

The author suggests that if Gore doesn't act like what he is saying is true, then why should we believe him? Discrediting a person is conservatives' favourite way of discrediting their message. It usually works. i.e.--> Who cares what Howard Dean is proposing, the guy screamed like a shot Elk. We can't have THAT running the country!

As you said, we can't be sure if Gore is that hypocritical given that the author doesn't give enough sourced information to accurately judge him, so that's a good point. But I don't really care about what Gore does personally. It's the message, not the messenger, that matters to me.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 11:13 AM