Closed TopicStart new topic
> The FAQ, In need of updating?
Larspeart
post Dec 10 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #1

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

So, on a 'boredom whim', I wandered into the FAQ just now. I started reading it, and the further I got, the more I realized that it wasn't very current, and read like it was created in '99-'00 (which it likely was).

The most bothersome section was section #4, under absinthe basics 'What does absinthe taste like? is it impossibly bitter?'. It puts the spanish brands in the 'top dog' catagory, mentions Sebor as 'not half bad', and says that 'La Fee, while difficult to get, is one of the best in the world.' (I am paraphrasing because it won't like me copy and paste the article here). Now, i like my La Fee, but I think that goes a bit far.

So, does this thing need a bit of updating (or perhaps an overhaul), or am I just over-reacting?

--------------------
To live, to thrive, to laugh, to enjoy.
To drink absinthe, and dance with the green fairy.
Ahh, heaven!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
justabob
post Dec 10 2003, 05:03 PM
Post #2

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

My browser lets me cut and paste,

That said, a few of the modern Spanish brands seem to have the best hold on flavor (and some of the best prices), though Sebors of the Czech Republic is not half bad either. At its best, and in varying degrees with brands such as Segarra, Deva & Lasala you will find a strong anise (close to licorice) flavor with undertones of its many herbal constituents. Spanish absinthes tend to be highly anise flavored and presweetened (excepting Segarra & a new brand, Absinthe N.S.) while most Czech brands follow a more eastern european palate that is very low in anise, has a high alcohol content and monochromatic flavor. It is our opinion that most Czech brands are of inferior quality and stray the farthest from the original Swiss/French recipes. A new brand has recently come out of the U.K. called La Fée that is a collaboration of Green Bohemia in the U.K. & Marie Delahaye in France that is an attempt to get closer to some of the original 19th century recipes, and while it does not quite achieve this it is by far one of the best commercially produced absinthes available today, although extremely difficult to get as it is only available in the U.K. On a similar note, and many years in the crafting, Belle Epoque Liqueurs is preparing to launch the fruits of its own labor; several artisnal brands that each recreate a different 19th century brand of absinthe. While these are not yet shipping, many have sampled and can vouch for their most superior quality. We eagerly await their release.

And yes I agree, this subject has been brought up before. Madame Admin is well aware of the need for an update.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 10 2003, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

I've updated a bunch of other stuff, Blackjack just wrote me a few new items. But missed that one. ick.

wanna help? rewrite it! or, that bit anyways.

And I am *always* open to suggestion.
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 10 2003, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Aaaiiiiiieeee!

So yes, there is bitterness (probably more evident in vintage absinthes due to the higher chop.gif content allowed)

*throws self off bridge*
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Dec 10 2003, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (kallisti @ Dec 10 2003, 01:01 PM)
Aaaiiiiiieeee!

So yes, there is bitterness (probably more evident in vintage absinthes due to the higher chop.gif content allowed)

*throws self off bridge*

That's the quote that has given me the most trouble. It's just wrong in so many ways.

Vintage may not have had higher chop.gif content than newer absinthes. Are most vintage absinthes really more bitter that modern ones? Everyone keeps saying that chop.gif has no effect on the flavour, bitterness or otherwise.

Everytime someone asks about chop.gif and immediately gets referred to the FAQ, I think about them reading that statement. Updating the Top 5 list is a recommended modification but downright misinformation needs to be removed.

I have great faith that Kallisti is working hard to remedy the situation.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 10 2003, 06:52 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

The top 5 list has been updated. Like, earlier this year or something.
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 10 2003, 08:08 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

A *very* quick revamp. Please comment and correct. Especially my spelling. I would really like comments on the french laws that allow it to be made legally. Expand a little maybe?

4) What does absinthe taste like? Is it frightfully bitter?

The recipes for absinthe, and thus the flavor, vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, as was true at the turn of the century when there were over 200 absinthe producers. Today, there are not quite so many, but more crop up all the time. Just look at the Absinthe Guide, which is consistantly growing in size!

Today some of the finest absinthe brands seem to be coming out France. Until a couple years ago absinthe was completely illegal to manufacture and sell within France. Due to some loopholes in the wording of the law, and the EU laws that are being recognized, absinthe is once again being made in France (and soon to be made legally in Switzerland!). Most notably the Pernot Distillery, distributed by Liqueurs de France (LDF), currently has a very interesting line-up of distilled absinthes that are being made in the old Pernot absinthe stills that have been brushed off for use. A properly distilled absinthe that has a good balance, should not have added sweeteners and should not be overtly bitter. Not all modern French absinthes are gems, but most are at least a cut above.

On a similar note, and many years in the crafting, Belle Epoque Liqueurs (also referred to as Jade Liquors) is preparing to launch the fruits of its own labor; several artisnal brands that each recreate a different 19th century brand of absinthe. While these are not yet shipping, many have sampled and can vouch for their most superior quality. Although delayed several times, the project is not off the burner, and we eagerly await their release.

Spanish absinthes tend to be highly anise flavored and presweetened (excepting Segarra & Absinthe N.S.) while most Czech & German brands follow a more eastern european palate that is very low in anise, has a high alcohol content and monochromatic flavor. It is our opinion that most Czech brands are of inferior quality and stray the farthest from the original Swiss/French recipes.

Bitterness?

Despite popular opinions, due mostly to people's erroneous assumptions upon sampling home brews, absinthe when properly distilled, is not extremely bitter. Wormwood, whose extract used to be a popular ingredient in many perfumes, actually has strong floral & herbal flavor (and scent) that is heightened when extracted by proper distillation, which leaves behind many of the bitter absinthins. So yes, there is bitterness but it is a balanced herbal undertone, and not overpowering in the slightest.

Please read also "What is Absinthe?" for more in depth discussion.
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Dec 10 2003, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

It looks good to me, but I'm a lousy editor. I would leave out any references to Jade though. That right there would make the updated FAQ still look old. The idea that Jade is preparing to launch was said over 3 years ago, and it still hasn't come to fruition. Do you really think Jade is going to come out any time soon?
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 10 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Unregistered

I have faith in Ted's perseverance. And people still ask about it. I tried to clarify a bit.
+Quote Post
Brews
post Dec 10 2003, 10:20 PM
Post #10

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 238

If you use IE, you can download a plug-in for IE that checks spelling in HTML forms.

http://www.iespell.com/

--------------------
"Got tight last night on absinthe. Did knife tricks." - Hemingway
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Dec 10 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #11

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

"Today some of the finest absinthe brands seem to be comingout OF of France (word "of"should be added...otherwise it looks great to me!! w00t1.gif

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 10 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

Thank you!

It is uploaded, please post any suggestions or additions...
+Quote Post
Larspeart
post Dec 11 2003, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 97

Wow! That was fast!

Woo hoo! I instigated change (doing the happy dance) on the board. Cool!

Looks much better. The part that called Sebor 'not that bad' was bugging me.

--------------------
To live, to thrive, to laugh, to enjoy.
To drink absinthe, and dance with the green fairy.
Ahh, heaven!
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Dec 11 2003, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Unregistered

Hey, I am *always* open to good suggestions. ESPECIALLY when inaccuracies were involved.

I did write that around 2000, with the input of just about every expert we had. Funny how things change, eh?

+Quote Post
MrGreenGenes
post Dec 11 2003, 08:55 PM
Post #15

Fringe Dweller

Member No.: 212

Here's my two cents on the FAQ:

I'd add a question about the burning preparation method. Most Americans saw flaming sugar cubes over absinthe in the film Moulin Rouge, and a smaller amount got an even longer close up of it in "From Hell." It's probably the most irritating newbie question that comes up in the absinthe forums from time to time.

I'm happy La Fee is no longer refered to as a "new" brand, but the FAQ still says it is "extremely difficult to get." Since eabsinthe.com (along with LDF) offers 3-day delivery, I'd say that La Fee is one of the least difficult absinthes to obtain.

Otherwise, it looks great. Keep up the good work!

MrGreenGenes

--------------------
sig line under construction
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2018 - 11:10 PM