wooperman
post Nov 14 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #32

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 1969

Eric ,
great details....
Is there a chance that the L'artisanale recipe could be picked up? I mean if this thing is getting rave reviews, wouldn't it behoove the company to invest in new popular products. Lets get this thing growing. Have your people talk to their people, "Do Lunch" baby!

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wild Bill Turkey
post Nov 14 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #33

Honorary Union Thug

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 1740

But it isn't just the recipe. It's Artisanale because it was an artist paying loving attention, micromanaging everything from the selection of each handful of herbs (in fact growing and bringing some of his own) all the way through completion. That kind of care can't be paid by commercial distillers doing batch after batch with whatever materials are at hand.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last from this artist, but every set a musician plays is different. I'm just going to drink it in and enjoy it.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Nov 14 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #34

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

I believe you saw the difference between eric's herbs and the commercially-sourced, yes?

It's like the wine article Oxy posted. Some of the vineyards have staff working all hours to make sure there isn't a leaf blocking sunlight from a single grape, and culling the fruit on the vine so only the best ends up in the wine. Those wines aren't cheap; even the "bargains" with that sort of attention are starting at $50-60/bottle, or $8-10 a glass . . .

Herbs may not require THAT degree of attention, but they're work, and would still require an expensive investment in the right soil at the right location, and some learning curve to ensure that each herb gets just the right exposure and the right amount of water and the right kinds of fertilizer to provide maximum flavor, etc.

It's not impossible, but it'd be expensive, and it'd take a few years of trial and error to get things right.

Perhaps eric could hook up with that fellow from Cascade Herbs, put their growing experience together and find a money man?

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Nov 14 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #35

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 704

I hope he's hooked up with the sources for fennel of Provence and wormood of Pontlier!

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
justabob
post Nov 14 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #36

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

It is just afternoon my time. I have had time to reflect on this absinthe. I had two glasses last night. Packed the ole fountain with ice and ran the slowest possible drip. This is without a doubt the best louch I have ever seen. I had to add about four parts water for full dilution. The first sip tasted odd to me. Then it occurred to me this is a strain of wormwood I had never tasted before. By the time I had poured the second glass I could not put it down. Knowing something of Eric's process of distillation I will say this has the cleanest taste of any commercial product that I have ever tasted.

It is not my habit to buy much in the way of commercial absinthe, in all honesty I did so only because Eric is a friend and I would like to see this product take off in a big way. After tasting it I have no doubt at all it will. Bravo Eric.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
Steyr850
post Nov 14 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #37

Mr. Mean Beans

Member No.: 1792

and Co.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Nov 14 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #38

Absinthe Mafia

Time to go to the Flying Monkey office and pick up my mystery package. Gee, I wonder what it could be . . .

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Nov 14 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #39

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

QUOTE(traineraz @ Nov 14 2006, 02:32 PM) *

It's not impossible, but it'd be expensive, and it'd take a few years of trial and error to get things right.

And most importantly, it would require either:

A> Absinthe to be legalized within the US, and somehow that same Pontarlier wormwood and Provence fennel to be imported into the US at great expense.

OR

B> for it to become easier for an American to just hop on a plane, go to Pontarlier on an all expense paid trip, use somebody else's equipment and make an absinthe better than anything to come out of Pontarlier in 90+ years, which needless to say might ruffle the feathers of currently entrenched Pontarlier Frenchie interests. Ted did it (note that not even he did it in Pontarlier), but it isn't easy and there are other complications that would probably be involved.

OR

C>Eric trains a talented French distiller his exact recipe, process, herb selection and quality standards for this one particular absinthe, and receives a royalty for every bottle sold, and also retains quality control rights and the right to reject anything made not up to his standard.

Clearly the demand for this absinthe is there, the question is, is it feasible to keep it available for consumers or do we let it be a really impressive demo for a record that will never be recorded? I'm very happy with what I have for now, but I do hope one day something like this is regularly available.
+Quote Post
wooperman
post Nov 14 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #40

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 1969

I just got my package, it was beat to shit and the styrofoam was even exposed and smashed to the top of the bottle. It could have easily caused damaged to a bottle but didn't...my wax seals were now particles in the box. What are they feeding these monkeys nowadays??!?!?!!?! That was a close call.
It don't matter no nevermind cause I can drink the pain away!!!!

--------------------
Rhymes with Ratt-Stink.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Nov 14 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #41

Absinthe Mafia

Donnie, I think Option C is the only one anyone considered realistic.

Unless eric wanted to do business with a distillery in Canada or Mexico. There's no magic in the location of a still; a copper alembic in Nogales or some other Mexican border town works the same as one anywhere else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Nov 14 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #42

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

The issue then becomes importation of herbs, which is what makes Pontarlier convenient in some ways. I'd think the Provence fennel would be easier to acquire within France than outside of France, and I'd be surprised if one can even purchase that particular variety of Pontarlier wormwood for use outside of Pontarlier.

Canada would also mean that then none of us could get his absinthe, judging from how difficult it is to get absinthe IN to Canada illicitly. And if we could get it, it would be even more expensive due to alcohol taxes.
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Nov 14 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #43

Absinthe Mafia

That's OK, because eric isn't near to Canada.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ubu
post Nov 14 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #44

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2285

Thanks, hartsmar, for providing the picture of the seal. Now my curiosity is satisfied. Well, not entirely. I still haven't had a glass yet.

--------------------
Merdre!
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Nov 14 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #45

Remembering all my Imps

Member No.: 12

So when do I get my replacement wax seals? harhar.gif

The tiny shattered bits of red wax looked nice in the bottom of the container....

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 06:00 AM