Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don Walsh
Oxygenee
post Oct 29 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

Post your favourite Don Walsh memories here NOW, or you'll get a bottle of Blue Label up the...

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Oct 29 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #2

Pre-ban minutiae guy

This is one of the great Don Walsh threads, and the one that gave rise to the immortal:

watch me shove a liter bottle of Blue Label up your ass and give you an enema you'll never recover from, you pasty faced Brit closet case cocksucker.

Read it in chronological order, from the bottom upwards.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Oct 29 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #3

Pre-ban minutiae guy

What's distressing, is I can't find the original post that gave rise to that other great classic Walshism:

you couldn't get laid in a Thai whorehouse with a hundred dollar bill wrapped around your woody.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nymphadora
post Oct 29 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #4

Very silly. Very silly indeed.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1808

Damn it! All this time I thought he was a member of The Eagles.

--------------------
The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more. -- Colleen McCullough
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Oct 30 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 38

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 29 2006, 07:03 AM) *

What's distressing, is I can't find the original post that gave rise to that other great classic Walshism:

you couldn't get laid in a Thai whorehouse with a hundred dollar bill wrapped around your woody.

Given his current career, I imagine he'd know.

Damn, what happened to the Wabbit?

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Oct 30 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Vito Von Sawchuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

That thought had crossed my mind as well.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
bob_chong
post Oct 31 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Paging Dr. CHONGER!!!

Member No.: 891

Here is the dust-up between Absintheur and Don. Ted is involved, too. But as far as I knew, this is when Absintheur quit for good (unless someone remembers him coming back after that).

http://www.feeverte.net/archive/messages/16/563.html

Or does this belong in the Hall of Flame thread?

--------------------
To Sir Piss, With Love
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Oct 31 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Pre-ban minutiae guy

For what it's worth, without making any judgement on Don's...er..robust debating style, he and Ted were - on the facts - absolutely in the right as far as this particular argument went.

Did Absintheur ever reregister under another name? And is he still among us?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Oct 31 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #9

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

That seems pretty mild as far as flame standards set by Don go.

Reading that thread back when I was a lurker, I comprehended next to none of it and basically skimmed it, wondering what Don and Ted were so uptight about.

Now I'm reading it and realize Absintheur was full of shit, and Don and Ted weren't.
+Quote Post
bob_chong
post Oct 31 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Paging Dr. CHONGER!!!

Yeah, it's not really flaming at all, but it is definitely a lot of very long posts from Don & Ted. No one else even jumped in. Too busy gawking, I guess. Those types of discussions are long gone.

--------------------
To Sir Piss, With Love
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Oct 31 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #11

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

By Absintheur on Saturday, December 02, 2000 - 10:29 am: Edit

Given the circmstances of this post, I'm closing my account under this name. Goodbye all.

Still around? O, I don't know. His style seems vaguely familiar.

Did anyone else appear within a couple of months with a similar approach to debate? That is, vehemently argue the same point endlessly, no matter what contradictions arise?

Most of the Don Walsh postings I've read did not demonstrate this level of eloquence or intellect. Most of what I recall seeing was vulgar and, as Absintheur mentioned, bullying. This puts Don in a whole different context for me.

This thread did not seem bullying by comparison, but filled with indignation at assertions being made. Actually, I'm surprised Don DIDN'T slide into name-calling and suggestions of what Absintheur might do with a bottle of Cousin Jeune, should he find it.

I don't recall ever seeing reference to Absinthes Hygienique before. Seems like an appropriate choice for a rinse, no?

Incidentally . . . it seems, in spite of O-thers' assertions here and there, that Ted has indeed been pretty consistent from year to year. I don't see anything here that he'd not repeat today.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Le Gimp
post Oct 31 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #12

Grits guy

Member No.: 2242

If he had made the discovery that Antimony trichloride was used by such and such a manufacturer and had documentation to corriborate the assertion, would it have given vlaidity to it being an acceptable component of absinthe?

No, no more than his assertion that wormwood is not a necessary component has validity.

And, yes, Don was quite mild in that thread.

I arrived before Don left, and at first did not understand a lot of what went on. Fortunatly I had the good sense to keep my mouth shut and just lurk for a long time.
+Quote Post
bob_chong
post Nov 1 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #13

Paging Dr. CHONGER!!!

Don was a wealth of information on distilling. He actively discouraged people from HG, which was wise. That's not to say that HGers are foolish, but he stressed safety concerns and made certain that this is a dangerous activity that shouldn't be taken up lightly.

Don also was a genius at discerning things about international affairs, since he was plugged into a whole different miltary intelligence community than we are privy to. Certainly, he was right-wing, which was to the chagrin of 99% of the membership here (which was, is, and will always be primarily liberal). But he knew stuff about Asia and the ME that shed a different light. I would love to hear his take on current affairs now.

--------------------
To Sir Piss, With Love
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Nov 1 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #14

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

I certainly would too. I don't care whether someone is left or right wing, I just want them to be intelligent, and Don certainly was that (except for lacking any sense of diplomacy...).
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Nov 2 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

A lot of what you see in this forum is the tip of the iceberg. A lot goes on under the surface. With a lot of these wars where public post followed public post, the private emails that flew back and forth and multiplied among the public participants, and sometimes among people who weren't taking part publicly, tell the REST of the story and/or put everything into context. I was corresponding with both Don and Absintheur during that particular argument (and maybe with Ted, I don't remember, but I knew what Ted had to say through Don). The whole thing was easier to understand if one were privy in that way.

Ted has indeed been remarkably consistent from day one - I've been saying that for years.

Don and Ted were for the most part on the correct side in that argument, as Oxy pointed out.

Don could be a bully, vulgar, funny, profound, all of that. His private communications were nothing short of amazing, and more like that thread than his insulting or vulgar or bully threads.

Absintheur resigned because Don used his (Absintheur's) true name in a public post without warning. Whether he ever came back under another name, I can't say. My assumption has always been, not.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 12:13 AM