> Don Walsh
pierreverte
post Dec 14 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #91

Liquorista

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 22

QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Dec 14 2007, 10:35 PM) *

…Ted(…) actually took his old recipes (widely available) to someone in France WHO KNEW HOW TO MAKE ABSINTHE.
Oh Come All Ye Wankers… refute that.

it's refuted, and a fact: no one (alive) had ever made absinthe, or had any clear idea how, at Combier, when ted arranged to make jade there…

--------------------
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass. ™
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr_ordinaire
post Dec 14 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #92

Grumpy with an explanation, your Honor.

Group: Members
Member No.: 59

QUOTE(eric @ Dec 14 2007, 01:42 PM) *

refute that.

I obtained a full liter of very nice Absinthe from Ted in November 2000 in exchange for a bottle from my collection.

Oh yes. I got a sample of Ted's absinthe myself. (Yep, not everybody follows the party line here in the Forum. The Dr. has some underground, albeit shy, supporters.)

I drank it in two occasions. The first time it was excellent. The second time, about 2 months afterwards, it was undrinkable. (And I´m not the only one to notice that effect.)

I was talking about COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE absinthe, not about the dabblings of an amateur.

It would be stupid and low to heap scorn on the dabblings of an amateur, right?

--------------------
Practice makes perfect, so be careful what you practice…
+Quote Post
G&C
post Dec 14 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #93

Still Master

Member No.: 282

Indeed, it would.

--------------------
"If I knew I was going to live this long I'da taken better care of myself." - Kirk

No threat is Friendly.

Just drink it or sink it.
+Quote Post
dr_ordinaire
post Dec 14 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #94

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Dec 14 2007, 03:05 PM) *

…Ted(…) actually took his old recipes (widely available) to someone in France WHO KNEW HOW TO MAKE ABSINTHE.
Oh Come All Ye Wankers… refute that.

it's refuted, and a fact: no one (alive) had ever made absinthe, or had any clear idea how, at Combier, when ted arranged to make jade there…

You bring up a good point, Pierreverte, he who wrote a book that now he despises.

Maybe at Combier nobody CARED about making absinthe. Nobody thought about the commercial implications of making absinthe. But MAKING ABSINTHE is not a fucking big deal.

For the newbies: ABSINTHE WAS INVENTED BY A COUNTYRY DOCTOR OUT OF HIS KITCHEN.

All the rest about absinthe is bullshit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Dec 15 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #95

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

So why exactly is it you've not produced a quality absinthe? After all, it's oh-so-simple.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Dec 15 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #96

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 14 2007, 03:34 PM) *

Indeed, it would.

HA!

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Head_prosthesis
post Dec 15 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #97

The original "red headed sausage wrangler"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Dec 12 2007, 12:22 AM) *

I have to add something, and it's going to be my last post for a while.

The first time you quit FeeVerte, you can't believe your doing it.
You just can't believe it. Your head buzzes with excitement.
The second time you quit FeeVerte, it means you were sad enough
to be ignored the first time you did it - and you're pushing a movie.
The third time you quit FeeVerte, the second time didn't go so well,
and you have something to prove to yourself. The fourth time you
quit FeeVerte, you're just blatantly pushing a movie. But the fifth
time you quit FeeVerte is the most special time of all, because you get
this:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Dec 15 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #98

Liquorista

QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Dec 15 2007, 12:37 AM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Dec 14 2007, 03:05 PM) *

Maybe at Combier nobody CARED about making absinthe. Nobody thought about the commercial implications of making absinthe. But MAKING ABSINTHE is not a fucking big deal.

uh, what happened to your statement of 'fact' that ted "took his old recipes (widely available) to someone in France WHO KNEW HOW TO MAKE ABSINTHE." no one at Combier 'knew' how to make absinthe, or had any real clue where to start, other than having macerated into existence a very respectable commercial pastis…
the alambics at Comber were/are used for very little variety other than triple sec, distilled orange-skin based blending ingredients and kummel…and now jade, perique and lucid…

--------------------
+Quote Post
dr_ordinaire
post Jan 1 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #99

no one at Combier 'knew' how to make absinthe, or had any real clue where to start, other than having macerated into existence a very respectable commercial pastis…
the alambics at Comber were/are used for very little variety other than triple sec, distilled orange-skin based blending ingredients and kummel…and now jade, perique and lucid…
[/quote]

Ahhhhh, and there is SUCH a HUGE difference between making pastis and absinthe, considering that everybody and his brother made absinthe by the 1900's and pastis is what people did when the stupid French government banned absinthe.

Do you actually think that these guys needed Ted to know how to make absinthe? Please…

--------------------
+Quote Post
pierreverte
post Jan 1 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #100

Liquorista

QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Jan 1 2008, 10:41 PM) *

Ahhhhh, and there is SUCH a HUGE difference between making pastis and absinthe, considering that everybody and his brother made absinthe by the 1900's and pastis is what people did when the stupid French government banned absinthe.

Do you actually think that these guys needed Ted to know how to make absinthe? Please…

uh, yes there actually are several big differences between making pastis and absinthe, the first being that almost all pastis are not distilled.

i organized and was there from the start and they did NOT know how to make absinthe until ted arrived. the still master there pretty much just follows instructions from the boss, and no one ever showed him how to make absinthe before. actually, he still never learned how to make jade absinthe (which is only made when ted is there), and absinthe in general until the blanchette was created for combier by ted.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Head_prosthesis
post Jan 2 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #101

The original "red headed sausage wrangler"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8

The Doctor is IN!
Oh wait, that's a different nutter.
+Quote Post
Balzdeep
post Jan 6 2008, 09:03 AM
Post #102

Absinthusiast

From: Neither here nor there...Neithernere? Nyethornare? Bill Nye looks like Thor after using Nair?
Member No.: 57

QUOTE(eric @ Dec 7 2007, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Dec 7 2007, 03:38 AM) *
I have NO chemistry background.

Then what qualifies you to accuse a professional chemist such as Ted of lying about the chemistry of Absinthe?

Dealing with Chemistry and making money off of such makes one a "professional chemist." I know a lot of those, being doctors, dentists, mechanics, painters, street de-icers, and even maids.

As a side-note, Ted was an environmental (ag-engineering degree???) chemist, measuring pollution levels in groundwater around New Orleans if memory serves me right. Does have a strong basis is organic chemistry, but in the land of research chemistry if he is not working for a university, I would not call him such. I would call him a commercial chemist.

That being said, I do agree with Porkio that times and the methods of measurement change, even for those that are commercial chemists, such as Ted. With the legalization of absinthe/Lucid in the US, measurement of chop.gif was determined by a standard technique of measurement and a standard expectant of results. Not being a chemist or engineer I am not one to discuss whether this measurement is a good expectation or not, however I am qualified enough to state that the FDA does not regulate nutriceuticals other than them proving that what they say is in there is in there. Obviously with alcohol there is another aspect, the ATF amongst others, thrown in there.

--------------------
If you can read this, you are sitting too close to your monitor.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 02:32 AM