Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

AVERAGE SCORE 78

Reviewed by eric and Joalco 2/17/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Perfectly clear.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
Starts to cloud immediately forming a thick, opaque louche. The gradient lines are not particularly dynamic or pronounced.

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Milky white w/ a slight blue tinge.

AROMA 24/30
Before water: Soft Alcohol w/ touch of wormwood, anise and other slight herbal notes. After water: Sweet and minty w/ some fruit overtones. The herbs seem to smooth out w/ the addition of water.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Full bodied, Not quite as richly textured as we would like but still very nice.

TASTE 14/20
Soft and nicely balanced. The subdued wormwood presence is complimented by a nice minty dryness in the finish.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
This is a good representation of the Swiss Lableue style. The wine alcohol base makes a very subtle but appreciated difference from the regular CLB.

eric and Joalco scores Clandestine Charlotte Alcool de Vin 76 out of 100

Reviewed by Bruno Rygseck 1/28/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
All clear!

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
Turbulent when thin jet of water was poured into it, ending in an opaque drink.

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
White, opaque, some bluish tones where the surface meets glass wall.

AROMA 19/30
Herbal with a pleasant, low, wine alcohol aroma.

MOUTH-FEEL 7/10
Creamy and a bit peppery, tingling, nice.

TASTE 15/20
Anise sweetness, minty wormwood; wine base can be tasted even without prior knowledge to someone who has tasted different la bleues. Good!

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
Much like the original Bugnon's Clandestine in many aspects, perhaps slightly more candy-like in taste -- could there be more star anise used? Quite recommended for e.g. tasting in parallel with the regular Clandestine.

Bruno Rygseck scores Clandestine Alcool de Vin 55% 73 out of 100

Reviewed by Wolfgang 11/25/2008

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10/10
Perfectly clear.

LOUCHE ACTION 7/10
Because of the low alcool and high anis-fennel content, louche begins almost as soon as you add water. It will of course result in a thickly louched and milky absinthe but it robs you of some moment of contemplation as the louche develops. Botling the same product at at least 65% would solve this little problem.

COLOR AFTER WATER 9/10
Like skimed milk. I can see oily traces floating on top of the glass. This absinthe must be packed with herbs.

AROMA 25/30
Neat: sweet, slightly fruity as could be expected from a fruit based alcool. The fruit remains in control and is not obstrusive. Fennel, anis and wormwood and somekind of a flowery powdery note. Note that it took about two weeks after opening the bottle and removing about 2 oz before any trace of funk diseapeared. At first I tought it was traces of overcooking but it went away after aeration.
Louched: the base alcool is very nice and present. There’s also some minty, citrusy and flowery notes. It is more light and refreshing than intense.

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
Silky chalky goodness.

TASTE 17/20
With sugar it’s like a good candy. The citrusy notes keeps it refreshing without being lemony. With less sugar and more water, it is so refreshing and easy to swallow I’m afraid this bottle will go down pretty fast.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
This is one of the best La Bleue I have tasted so far. It is relatively simple but it is also so easy to swallow ! It is much better than my slightly overcooked bottle of regular Clandestine (and way way better than Duplais blanche) It is much more interesting to taste such a wine based blanche than a regular one anyway, unless you’re new to it and want to compare side by side. One drawback: the poor quality cork. It broke right away and I had trouble finding a suitable replacement.

PERSONAL NOTES
Bottle dated 13.06.2006C.
Tasted on Nov 25 2008, about two week after first opening the bottle.

Wolfgang scores Clandestine Alcool de Vin 85 out of 100

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixela
post Feb 26 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #2

Anal sage

Group: Absinthe Mafia
From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

Hartsmar,

Alcool DE vin -- not only in the review, but also in the thread title.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Feb 28 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #3

Clint Wormwood

Of course! You are right. Me not observant enough on what me wrotes.

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Marc
post Mar 7 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #4

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

The best Bleue for me, tasted 10mn ago, the fennel reminds me of the delicious perfume in Claude-Alain's distillery, the wine alcohol base definitely adds roundness to the classic Clandestine.
I had not drink any Bleue since Boveresse 2007 but I'm friend again with Bleues.
+Quote Post
Wolfgang
post Nov 13 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 16

No time for a complete review today but the bottle I just got is certainly a fine absinthe blanche. It is much better than my regular Clandestine, mostly because the bottle of regular I got tastes like the distillation was pushed a bit too far, maybe I got a less than perfect batch. Maybe I'm mistaken and it just needs some aging (the date on the bottle is very recent).

This "alcool de vin" is nice even without sugar. It's main herbal characteristic is "soapy" but it is not bad, it's just refreshing melissa. With sugar it's better and more balanced. It remains a very simple and straight forward absinthe like most LA Bleue I've been tasting in years. It is a certain improvement over the regular version. The wine base is not obstructing at all. I suspect it's not 100% wine alcohol. Drinking this reminds me of my early years when I was first discovering La Bleues… Nice memories.

Interestingly there's a june 13 2006 label on my bottle of "alcool de vin". I wonder if this is the distillation/bottling date or if it's the date of the original release. I would dare to think it is the distillation date because the drink is very mellow. This is really a good surprise.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Sep 11 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Clint Wormwood

Updated...

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

+Quote Post
Wolfgang
post Feb 3 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 16

I`m not sure if I should post it here but here`s what I`m doing with my remaining bottle of Clandestine alcool de vin.

I mix it with regular Clandestine by replacing 10% of the regular by the alcool de vin. Yes, just 10%. 70ml in a 700 ml bottle. After a month of aging, the resulting mix is much smoother than the regular Clandestine, without having that intrusive wine alcool smell and taste.

IMO It can add about 5% to the overal rating of the regular Clandestine.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post May 21 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #8

Alberga Schutzkorps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1939

Hmmm, I may have posted my review into the wrong thread…it was about Clandestine recette Marianne (55%), not the alcool de vin (which is 53%).

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post
absinthist
post May 21 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #9

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

QUOTE(Wolfgang @ Feb 3 2010, 09:17 AM) *

without having that intrusive wine alcool smell and taste.

Out of many alcool de vin-based absinthes, La Clandestine alcool de vin DOES NOT have the intrusive wine alcohol smell and taste. You are sure, you are talking about that absinthe?

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 05:58 PM