menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Switzerland Consider Legalising Absinthe, From an email sent out by eabsinthe.com:
Rimbaud
post Sep 24 2003, 06:13 PM
Post #1

L'Enfant Terrible

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 17

Switzerland Consider Legalising Absinthe

The Swiss parliament is to consider legalising absinthe - the alcoholic drink dubbed the 'queen of poisons' and 'liquid cocaine'. The infamous green herbal liqueur often blamed for driving people mad has been banned in Switzerland for almost a century.

But it is also praised for its reputed medicinal virtues and appears set for a comeback. Swiss deputy Jean-Claude Cornu has asked the senate, the Council of States, to consider legislation allowing the spirit to be distilled and traded freely once again.

In a motion to parliament, he said absinthe would bring great economic and cultural benefits for an isolated valley in the northern Jura Shwills, the Val de Travers.

It is claimed to be the birthplace of the alcohol, made from wormwood. About 15,000 litres of absinthe are thought to be distilled illegally in the Val de Travers every year.

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Sep 24 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

all those poor old farmers must be pissed.

+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 24 2003, 06:20 PM
Post #3

L'Enfant Terrible

Yes, but for the rest of us, this could be a good thing! We'll just have to wait and see...

--------------------
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Sep 24 2003, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

Not necessarily...

I mean, it is already legal to produce in so many places.

Unless, of course, some of them thar farmers have commercial aspirations. In that case, yes, I would expect to see a price drop and greater availability and quality control.

+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 24 2003, 07:12 PM
Post #5

L'Enfant Terrible

QUOTE (kallisti @ Sep 24 2003, 10:56 AM)
Unless, of course, some of them thar farmers have commercial aspirations. In that case, yes, I would expect to see a price drop and greater availability and quality control.

Yes, that's what I had in mind...

--------------------
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Touch-money
post Sep 24 2003, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Informed Imbiber

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

I for one would love to see how this turns out. Think about being able to get acctual Swiss La Blanche without getting ass rapped by Betty wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Sep 24 2003, 08:20 PM
Post #7

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

You can already do that by buying from LDF or spending the time and money to learn how to make your own.

Kubler is legal in Switzerland, but it's the only one the swiss government allows, and it's not very good.
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Sep 24 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #8

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 44

This is really remarkable. I've heard of it from a friend in Switzerland some weeks ago.
We'll see how long it will take till there are others than Kübler to produce Absinthe in Switzerland...
+Quote Post
Balzdeep
post Sep 24 2003, 09:03 PM
Post #9

Absinthusiast

From: Neither here nor there...Neithernere? Nyethornare? Bill Nye looks like Thor after using Nair?
Member No.: 57

QUOTE (Rimbaud @ Sep 24 2003, 10:13 AM)

IMHO, I feel the most important aspect of this is the "hope" that the US govt. will realize how much money they are wasting monitoring for/confiscating "bootleg" absinthe purchased overseas, and how much money they can gain (as I am sure Switzerland realized) by legalizing the production of a product that can and will be taxed! Add into it the realization that the US is THE only country that doesn't have their hand in the cookie jar, and I think we might be on the verge of legalized absinthe.

Whether that is good or bad, hell, I don't know. But will I be happy to buy cheap spanish banadine flavored absinthe at the local liquor store? HELL YES I WILL!

Oh yeah, and the site is AWESOME! w00t1.gif

--------------------
If you can read this, you are sitting too close to your monitor.
+Quote Post
Brett
post Sep 24 2003, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Highland Absintheur

Member No.: 30

Absinthe is legal in Canada...but since most provincial governments control the purchasing and distribution of liquor (and sometimes the sales of it, too), we have very limited choice.

I would wet myself if I ever saw Spanish absinthe in a store here.

--------------------
"I can't sell Bjarne's paté, it tastes like jockstrap." - The Green Butchers
+Quote Post
Touch-money
post Sep 24 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #11

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Balzdeep @ Sep 24 2003, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Rimbaud @ Sep 24 2003, 10:13 AM)

IMHO, I feel the most important aspect of this is the "hope" that the US govt. will realize how much money they are wasting monitoring for/confiscating "bootleg" absinthe purchased overseas, and how much money they can gain (as I am sure Switzerland realized) by legalizing the production of a product that can and will be taxed! Add into it the realization that the US is THE only country that doesn't have their hand in the cookie jar, and I think we might be on the verge of legalized absinthe.

Whether that is good or bad, hell, I don't know. But will I be happy to buy cheap spanish banadine flavored absinthe at the local liquor store? HELL YES I WILL!

Oh yeah, and the site is AWESOME! w00t1.gif

I just hope that if it get legalized in the US companies like Bush and Coors dont try and flood the market with shitty ass absinthe. I think the one US company that cound make some really good Abs is Sam Adams considering that they just made that new beer ( sorry i forgot the name ).

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Marc Chevalier
post Sep 24 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #12

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

Member No.: 29

I may be wrong, but my sense is that Americans aren't too nuts about anything with anise. Even when absinthe was legal in the U.S., the market for it -- outside of New Orleans -- was pretty small. Why should things be any different in the future?
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Sep 24 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #13

Unregistered

I think we can safely say it ain't never gonna happen. no market and no moolah to move the gubmint to riteousness.
+Quote Post
turangalila
post Sep 25 2003, 12:39 AM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 40

The only thing is that the US Government is wasting no money whatsoever confiscating Absinthe. The market here is negligable, customs is searching for bigger things that are actually threatening for people, and to be honest I'll bet that the importation of untaxed alcohol is really the only problem for them.

Secondly the amount of money the *government* has to gain on commercial absinthe is probably next to none, and there isn't anybody here who has enough interest in producing it here and selling it in a larger US market to invest the money in changing the laws.

To be honest I don't think anybody here really gives much of anything about Absinthe except for us and druggies who think it's a different high.

I can't imagine it being legal here anytime soon. On the other hand, in Switzerland they might have more to gain.

--------------------
"Devant ma table vint s'asseoir / Un pauvre enfant vêtu de noir, / Qui me ressemblait comme un frère."
"I am not pysicist and do not claim to be one however, I believe the thoujon to accumulate in your system and after a while it startes to wear on you."
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Sep 25 2003, 01:06 AM
Post #15

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

Well, considering how highly absinthe (and absinthesque beverages) have been figuring in pop culture lately, I'd not be surprised if an American company wanted to distill it here. I think there is a market for the cheap stuff, and that would enable the importation (or production . . . Ted?) of the good stuff. There will always be 20-somethings who want to light their Hill's on fire.

I'm sure a whole lot more Albertson's Brand Scotch sells than Glenlivet, but if people didn't drink the Albertson's Brand, there'd likely not be much of a Glenlivet market, either.

Do you wanna lick my black pussy? looking-up.gif

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 01:18 AM