menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Switzerland Consider Legalising Absinthe, From an email sent out by eabsinthe.com:
Perruche_verte
post Sep 25 2003, 01:57 AM
Post #16

Gangan kwa kwa

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 37

I hope this happens. Wouldn't the real Swiss artisans welcome the chance to produce quality absinthe legally and share it with others? The only real losers would be the resellers who try to make a killing off weak bootlegged la bleue. The producers themselves would probably make more money.

Somehow Peter's remarks come to mind, about the only Bleues he really liked not being offered for sale. Maybe legalization would change that.

I still don't see anything changing in the U.S. except more and better absinthes being available for import.

--------------------
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Balzdeep
post Sep 25 2003, 05:21 AM
Post #17

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
From: Neither here nor there...Neithernere? Nyethornare? Bill Nye looks like Thor after using Nair?
Member No.: 57

QUOTE (turangalila @ Sep 24 2003, 04:39 PM)
The only thing is that the US Government is wasting no money whatsoever confiscating Absinthe. The market here is negligable, customs is searching for bigger things that are actually threatening for people, and to be honest I'll bet that the importation of untaxed alcohol is really the only problem for them.

Aye, but I have heard of a few reports of customs detaining alcohol with refusal to send it on or back to the distributors d/t the fact that it was absinthe. Alcohol? Hell you pay a dollar in duties and $25 for a courier and it's yours.

And yes, with the recent publicity it would be worth the govt's change in 1 law to allow AT LEAST the legal importation (with duties) of absinthe, and hopefully revenues created by local production.

You gotta realize that FDA rules change daily, and although they do require full testing to get things approved, there are exceptions to this, as there always are. Empirical evidence/testing in other countries CAN be used, in certain instances (especially when the govt. is hungry at the state fair, with a corndog stand stairing them down (sorry, had to incorporate it:)

cdog.gif

--------------------
If you can read this, you are sitting too close to your monitor.
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 25 2003, 10:15 AM
Post #18

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

I just hope that if it get legalized in the US companies like Bush and Coors dont try and flood the market with shitty ass absinthe.  I  think the one US company that cound make some really good Abs  is Sam Adams considering that they just made that new beer

[In an obligatory fit of national pride just barely suppressed, I'll pass on the ridiculous notion that anyone in the US save some excellent microbreweries is actually making beer -- outside of both Belgium and Bohemia/Moravia, the mere idea! Donning asbestos suit now dev.gif ]

They're sure to swoop down and trademark "Couvet" "Valdetravers" and "Swiss La Blanche" before anyone in Switzerland can blink if they ever see money in it. They'd do the same with "Pernod" had Pernod not survived in morphed format.

[OTOH, as Pernod-Ricard is, IIRC, the company who has taken hold of the ex-Bacardi assets in Cuba, if they merged with Bacardi, I'm sure they'd probably even try to let Congress pass a law or two to let *them* use that trademark in the US, instead of those pestering frogs]

Then we'd all be able to enjoy these "Cuv Lite" commercials on TV when we're over in the states (Cuv Lite would be 15% vol alcohol, of course, with regular Couvet at 35% alcohol). They'd use tarragon instead of A. Absinthium (well, it *is* a member of the Artemisia family, ain't it).

It would thus contain toxic estragole and the carcinogenic methyleugenol in addition to the famous neurotoxin that we need not name -- the former two wouldn't be mentioned, but the latter seems to have quite some marketing potential: it's evident in some German marketing blurbs [donning double asbestos suit and bullet-proof vest dev.gif], and we all know how Anheuser-Bush looks up to anything that sounds remotely German.

So -- let's hope it stays well below their radar screens until someone actually sells some (legit) Swiss stuff in the US. And Bat1.gif's radar, too, as that's a company that does sell drinks with traceable amounts of alcohol in them.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 25 2003, 10:20 AM
Post #19

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (sixela @ Sep 25 2003, 12:15 PM)

They're sure to swoop down and trademark "Couvet" "Valdetravers" and "Swiss La Blanche" before anyone in Switzerland can blink  if they ever see money in it.

Of course, once that's done, anyone selling "La Bleue" will be deemed in blatant violation of their trademark, as we all know that blue is really white wink.gif.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Marc Chevalier
post Sep 25 2003, 03:54 PM
Post #20

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

Member No.: 29

Turangalila wrote:

"To be honest I don't think anybody here really gives much of anything about Absinthe except for us and druggies who think it's a different high."

Amen. It's been said here before, and there's no reason to doubt it: aside from movie theater candy, there is no food product with anise in it that drives Americans wild. Americans like beer, scotch, bourbon, vodka, gin, rum, tequila, wine, cocktails and various sweet concoctions. Just about none of the above feature anything with anise.

Some Americans could be teased into trying absinthe (thanks to films, articles, books and ads), but there's little reason to believe that enough would return for seconds. Not much point in trying to get absinthe legalized, then. For those who have the money and resources to do it, it's not worth the trouble.

+Quote Post
Dpanice
post Sep 25 2003, 07:14 PM
Post #21

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 24

Approved!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3136960.stm

Usual misleading description of absinthe included...

Daniel

--------------------
"Drink to me, drink to my health..."
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 25 2003, 07:28 PM
Post #22

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

Holy shit!

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Marc Chevalier
post Sep 25 2003, 07:34 PM
Post #23

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

Well, well! Thanks for the link!

And a big absinthe toast to Switzerland!!
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Sep 25 2003, 07:40 PM
Post #24

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

I would like to see it legalized in the US. Though it may never be very popular, there would be small distilleries that would produce it.
+Quote Post
Marc Chevalier
post Sep 25 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #25

Elite Absinthe Enforcer

You're right. Producers would pop up. The problem is, small distillers wouldn't have the clout to get absinthe legalized in the U.S. ... and big distillers wouldn't bother to.
+Quote Post
crosby
post Sep 25 2003, 08:21 PM
Post #26

The essence of mean crazy drunk.

Member No.: 6

It's a done deal. R. I. P. Betina. Tombstone2.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 25 2003, 08:29 PM
Post #27

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

A little tribute to our Swiss friends...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Touch-money
post Sep 25 2003, 08:30 PM
Post #28

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 21

I wonder how long it will take for some of the bottles to hit the shelves?

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Sep 25 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #29

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Touch-money @ Sep 25 2003, 12:30 PM)
I wonder how long it will take for some of the bottles to hit the shelves?

Could be a year or longer. The Swiss don't have the same alcohol distilling infrastructure the French did. It's not like they can just instantly start producing Absinthe again like Pernot & Guy did by firing up the stills that were already there. And after you make your first sellable batch, it would take another 3 months or so of ageing before you could ship it.

But Cros is right, this puts a nail in the Betty coffin. She'll still trump up the customs threat (which is unfortunately becoming real), and she'll say commercial Swiss la Bleue is inferior to HG la Bleue, but my money says her suppliers may try and sell their recipes or at least be consultants at whatever commercial distilleries pop up.

In any case, I suspect the Boveresse festival next year will be very interesting... time to book a plane ticket.
+Quote Post
thegreenimp
post Sep 25 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #30

Remembering all my Imps

Member No.: 12

Time to photoshop the Temperance man lying dead on the ground.......Glad to see the ban lifted,..how it plays out will be interesting.

--------------------
Stalking foggy Herbsaint minutia for longer than I care to admit.

The History of Legendre Herbsaint
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 11:18 AM