Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Czechabsinthe Blog - L'Absinthe Rend Fou
Oxygenee
post Dec 4 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #1

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

I've made a serious and good faith attempt to engage with the owners of this blog, but it seems to no avail. Recently a substantial post of Ted's was deleted without notice, as was a lengthy one of mine (neither post was rude, aggressive or offensive - they simply offered a response to some of the outrageous allegations made by "Tom Boyd" and others on the blog.)

So it seems clear that the owner/s of this blog are not interested in engagement or debate, but rather in advancing their own agenda at all costs.

I'd suggest if you feel compelled to respond to anything on this blog you do so here, and then simply post the link on the blog itself. This way there will at least be a public record of your post.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Alan
post Dec 4 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2340

Good suggestion, although it assumes that the blogger(s) will allow the link to be posted there, which seems unlikely.

Ted's deleted post is on the Czech blog thread at the Wormwood Society and also on my blog which includes a screen grab clearly showing the original timing and sequence of Ted's post. This answers Tom Boyd's question to Ted on the blog, i.e.

"You claim that your comment was deleted, and so you have instead posted it on the Wormwood Society. Is this, in fact, the truth, or it is yet another fabrication? Did you post that comment here, or did you write it in haste and posted elsewhere in order to protect your reputation amongst the followers who gather there?"

Note that the blogger is also quite active elsewhere, notably on this blog, on Chow, and on Tribe.

Edit: interesting to note that the blogger also now advertises Century "absinth."
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Dec 4 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Pre-ban minutiae guy

I don't expect them to allow the links to be posted there, but it's still a way of responding publicly nonetheless.

Leaving aside some of the posters like "Tom Boyd" (who I find just contemptible), the blog itself isn't uninteresting. The owner/s have spent more intellectual effort on justifying the Czech approach to doing things than anyone else has thus far. They've uncovered some interesting information, and by challenging some of of our assumptions and beliefs they force us to rethink them, and justify them, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But by consistently deleting posts with an opposing view, they've made what could have been an interesting debate impossible.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
+Quote Post
Ari
post Dec 4 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 892

You can add that by playing fast and loose with accuracy and context, it is hard to believe anything that is posted there.

Oh and did you know alcohol burns at a temperature lower than water boils? (yes that's my favorite error in the attempt to justify the fire ritual which they grabbed from another blog without even thinking about it).

--------------------
"you mean we're supposed to read 'em? i thought signatures were there to be ignored..."
+Quote Post
speedle
post Dec 4 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Don't Touch My Junk

Member No.: 2041

Hmm… Dr. Rose Samuels huh? Where do they come up with these?

Oh, and appropos of nothing, Absinthist asks Ted on there, "Why there is no licorice root in Verte Suisse which is supposed to be a replica of C.F. Berger?"

Who says? For that matter, why is there no maple syrup either? I'm appalled! Sorry Boggy, it looked like you were just trying to add some paper to the fire. It may be a perfectly valid question, but if you're gonna ask it there, without any backup, I'm gonna have to conclude you're with them…wink.gif harhar.gif

--------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
- Wilde
You are never too drunk. That belief is strongly overrated.
- Titswit.
Brilliant.
- Tibro
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Dec 4 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #6

Pre-ban minutiae guy

QUOTE(speedle @ Dec 4 2007, 07:07 PM) *

Oh, and appropos of nothing, Absinthist asks Ted on there, "Why there is no licorice root in Verte Suisse which is supposed to be a replica of C.F. Berger?"

It also struck me as idiotic because:

A: No one alive on earth today knows with any certainty what was in Absinthe Berger.
B: A handful of people alive on earth today know what's in Verte Suisse, but Absinthist isn't one of them.
C: Anyone who thinks he can with complete certainty detect by taste alone the presence or absence of licorice root in a multi-herb strongly anise flavoured drink is living in cloud cuckoo land.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Dec 4 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #7

Alethiometer

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 51

I'm surprised people on there aren't using voodoo dolls and doing rain dances during droughts. It might as well be a Feng Shui blog.

Innocent ignorance is easy to combat, but willful ignorance is virtually impossible to undo.
+Quote Post
absinthist
post Dec 4 2007, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

QUOTE(speedle @ Dec 4 2007, 08:07 AM) *

It may be a perfectly valid question, but if you're gonna ask it there

I have asked it for two reasons:

1) I really liked C.F. Berger
2) because of that:

Plus grasse qu'une Pernod Fils, cette Berger produite entre 1907 et 1914 est probablement plus réglissée que celle produite avant et dont s'est justement inspiré Ted Breaux pour créer sa réplique très fidèle (Verte Suisse) et qui ne comporte donc pas de réglisse.

Still, whereas the spirit question was completely satisfactory to me, the Berger one was not.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
speedle
post Dec 4 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #9

Don't Touch My Junk

Member No.: 2041

Yes, and for the benefit of Mr. Kite and the rest who can't read French, would you care to translate?

--------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
- Wilde
You are never too drunk. That belief is strongly overrated.
- Titswit.
Brilliant.
- Tibro
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Dec 4 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #10

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Luc says "probablement", and I'd be pretty much certain he hasn't been told by Ted or anyone else exactly what's in Verte Suisse.

But at least I understand where you got it from now, so I withdraw the "idiotic". Could we agree on "misguided"? harhar.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
absinthist
post Dec 4 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

Oh, yes, we can agree on that harhar.gif

If probablement the question cannot be answered since the answer is "proprietary and confidential".

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Oxygenee
post Dec 4 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #12

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Bingo.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Marc
post Dec 4 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Da froggy

Member No.: 1711

cette Berger produite entre 1907 et 1914 est probablement plus réglissée que celle produite avant et dont s'est justement inspiré Ted Breaux pour créer sa réplique très fidèle (Verte Suisse) et [i]qui ne comporte donc pas de réglisse.

That Berger produced between 1907 and 1914 is probably more "liquoriced" than the ones produced before of which Ted Breaux took inspiration from to create his very faithful replica (Verte Suisse) that, therefore, does not contain liquorice.

Means: oldest Berger had no Liquorice so Verte Suisse has no Liquorice either. Probably.
+Quote Post
Hemingway's Hangover
post Dec 4 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2447

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 4 2007, 03:06 AM) *

I've made a serious and good faith attempt to engage with the owners of this blog…it seems clear that the owner/s of this blog are not interested in engagement or debate, but rather in advancing their own agenda at all costs.

Unfortunately good faith efforts are only worthwhile when they are responded to in kind. It's obvious that the creators of this blog aren't interested in truth or science. Isn't this the blog where Tom Hill made an appearance a few months ago? It seems to me that should be a dead giveaway….Hill just "happened" to drop in for comment? Not a chance: if you believe that I've got some nice Iraqi WMDs for sale as well. That blog is a shill for the Czech-sinth industry, pure and simple.

I think my favorite moment was when one of the posters (was it "drabsinthe"? I don't recall) tried to claim that the roots of the argument could be found in anti-Czech racism. Now THAT is debate technique!

cdog-plain.gif

--------------------
"Je sucerai, pour noyer ma rancoeur, Le népenthès et la bonne ciguë, Aux bouts charmants de cette gorge aiguë, Qui n'a jamais emprisonné de coeur. — Charles Baudelaire
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Dec 4 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #15

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 4 2007, 06:27 PM) *

Innocent ignorance is easy to combat, but willful ignorance is virtually impossible to undo.

That blog is so unbelievably similar to a certain Swedish book about absinthe. The book seems to be about anything else between heaven and earth but absinthe. Incoherent, at many places unreadable, full of typographic errors not to mention the factual errors. I lost count after reading about one fifth of it.

BR

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 10:07 AM