> Absinthe Roquette 1797, Reviewed
Oxygenee
post Mar 30 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #16

Pre-ban minutiae guy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 41

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 30 2008, 07:21 PM) *

and only the Jade showed the faintest trace of the unctuous flavor I'm complaining about.

"Unctuous" doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.

There are very few similarities between the Roquette and the Doubs - the recipes could hardly be more different. Equally, there are few similarities between either of them and the PF 1901.

--------------------
...et c’est l’absinthe enfin, la grande absinthe ou la petite, parure chaste des montagnes et des rivages marins, fille des grand vents purs, blé des espaces vierges, emblème de la liberté farouche.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Mar 30 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #17

All I got is wooden tokens

Group: Members
Member No.: 3208

*checks dictionary

blink.gif

A poor choice of words indeed. That's what I get for trusting my high school English memories. Thankfully, that's probably only the second time I've used that word in the last decade.
Not even my thesaurus seems to be able to help. For lack of a better word, I'm going to have to leave it as simply distasteful.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Helfrich
post Mar 30 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #18

Absinthusiast

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 834

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 28 2008, 10:47 PM) *
It tastes like… pool water. I can find none of the flowery herbal goodness that was promised in the aroma, all I taste is alcohol and chlorine- neither of which I inferred from the aroma. I’m sure there are many terrific ingredients in this absinthe, but they're so completely trounced by the intense flavor of the YMCA that I can’t enjoy it at all.

Ow, that's really extravagant but I find it interesting nevertheless. Quite a few absinthes seem to have a quality that reminds some people of chlorine. I wasn't aware of that until my ex confessed that she wasn't too fond of absinthe because it tastes like… chlorine. I was baffled but since she's not the kind of girl to bullshit me I tried to figure it out.

I asked her of every absinthe she had whether it tasted like chlorine or not. The conclusion was that none of blanches and most of the vertes (but not all of them) tasted like chlorine, to various extents. Then I recognized what she meant. At first I had to focus on it to even notice it, but later on a number of vertes started to taste like 'chlorine'. (Well, thanks a bunch girl! You just spoiled one of my passions!)

So it had something to do with the coloring step. Maybe some ester was released or even formed… some compound that reminds of chlorine by association or something. I don't have the faintest idea. Chlorophyll doesn't contain chlorine so that probably isn't related to the phenomenon (chloro is derived from the Greek "khloros", meaning yellowish, not blueish, green).

Since I didn't want my absinthe to taste like 'chlorine' I carried out a series of experiments. I used exactly the same recipe, but varied some environmental factors during coloration. Next I had my ex taste the results blindly. It was easily concluded that the chlorine experience was attributable to a certain irregularity during the coloring step. I still don't have a clue about the actual cause though.

I'm not saying this applies to Roquette 1797, but OC's judgment reminded me of the issue.

--------------------
Kunst = Kapital
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Mar 30 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #19

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

Always keeping in mind that OC is very new at this.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Helfrich
post Mar 30 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #20

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 834

Being unprejudiced can be extremely dangerous.

--------------------
Kunst = Kapital
+Quote Post
absinthist
post Mar 30 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #21

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

It will make 1,000 bunnies cry.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Mar 31 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #22

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

QUOTE(Helfrich @ Mar 30 2008, 09:38 AM) *
(Well, thanks a bunch girl! You just spoiled one of my passions!)

Well, at least that will leave you with more time for absinthe.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Nephrite
post Apr 1 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #23

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 3180

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 30 2008, 05:15 AM) *

I'd say there is merit to your suggested explanation, but knowing that the bottle my treat was fathered by was thoroughly enjoyed by it's owner, I'm not sure. Maybe he likes the taste of corked beverages?

I wish I still had some of the original bottle left but I just finished the last 5 drams after reading this review. I'm just getting over a cold so this wasn't the best time but my nose is clear and the Roquette tastes pretty close to the way I remember it… a bit weaker maybe.

Is it possible the offending chlorine characteristic may be attributed to the forward wormwood profile? I've been searching for a description of what wormwood tastes and smells like but have turned up almost nothing… besides bitter. The closest thing I can conclude about distilled wormwood is that it has an odd bitter, fruity and astringent character. When I tried the other Pontarlier absinthes after drinking Roquette, I could detect what I perceive as wormwood more easily.

When I first tasted Roquette, I was put off because it was so mellow and different from what I was expecting after trying Doubs and 1901. In comparison, the Roquette has a much more subtle and delicate anise/herbal profile. Some might consider it weak but the flavors are smooth/balanced and do expose some rather nice medicinal qualities that make the wormwood stand out. After my 2nd or 3rd glass Roquette grew on me and I do want to order more.

I'll probably order another bottle because I find it so unique and hard to describe. Taste is a very subjective thing and I can see why Roquette might throw people off who enjoy a more traditional absinthe profile. My only chief complaint about Roquette is the sugary taste. There is a taste of plain sugar that I can't shake. Other than that it's a nice and very smooth/crisp absinthe that is not an overpowering anise or herbal bomb.

--------------------
I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just make fun of people.
Jack Handy Quotes
+Quote Post
Steyr850
post Apr 1 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #24

Mr. Mean Beans

Member No.: 1792

QUOTE(Nephrite @ Mar 31 2008, 06:47 PM) *

Is it possible the offending chlorine characteristic may be attributed to the forward wormwood profile?
That's what I first thought yesterday when reading through the discussion. The Pontarlier wormwood is very different in character than others and is quite pronounced in the Roquette. Most seem to like the flavor, including myself, but I can see where folks who are used to most other absinthes could be put off. What kept me from suggesting it yesterday was the fact that you didn't detect the same thing in the Doubs, which although is a different recipe, still has a similar wormwood profile.

I still would bet though, that it is the wormwood you're not fond of, it's just that chlorine doesn't come to mind for me when describing it.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Apr 1 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #25

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

I agree. The Pontarlier wormwood is particularly fragrant, with a wonderfully floral bittersweetness, but certainly nothing resembling the taste of chlorine.

However, a few months ago, I tasted an otherwise very well crafted HG that definitely had more than a tinge of that chlorinated edge, and it was fairly high in wormwood, as well. I tried it again very recently, and rather than mellowing, the bitterness from the wormwood had actually intensified, concomitant with that chlorine taste, which led me to believe that, in this particular case, the two might be directly related. I don't know the particular varietal of wormwood that was used, but it was definitely indigenous to the U.S., and not Pontarlier, however.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post May 8 2008, 06:02 AM
Post #26

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

Reviewed by EdouardPerneau 5/8/2008

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
greyish green nice

Editor's note: Review merged into main review post. The above is left for clarity in following posts.

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Steyr850
post May 8 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #27

Mr. Mean Beans

COLOR
greyish green nice

blink.gif
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post May 8 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #28

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

Yes Nice I liked it not common but I like it

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
absinthist
post May 8 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #29

Anti-Social

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2673

Reviewed by absinthist 5/8/2008

absinthist scores Absinthe Roquette 1797 71 out of 100

Editor's note: Review merged into main review post. The above is left for clarity in following posts.

--------------------
absinthe fora-for teenagers
Facebook for kiddies
Alembics and Art for the adults. So few are left, so few.
+Quote Post
Steyr850
post May 8 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #30

Mr. Mean Beans

It's a prolly good that you're not fond of it.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 01:04 PM