Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Delaware Phoenix Distillery, announcement
dakini_painter
post Sep 12 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #376

error, please reboot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3216

Here's a pic of the CIP input with it's threaded DN40 connection (currently with a cap).

Attached Image

So basically I need a threaded DN40 with 1" triclamp on the other end. Then I can just screw the connection together and tighten with the spanner wrench. Triclamp the hose to the end and I'm good to go. Does that sound right?

I need to make an order from McMaster anyway so I'll look for the buckle there.
abs-cheers.gif

--------------------
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, 144 Delaware Street, Walton, NY 13856
An absinthe distillery in upstate NY. www.delawarephoenix.com
"Good is the only investment that never fails." - Thoreau.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hissykitties
post Sep 14 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #377

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2245

Purrty.
+Quote Post
R3al Caravano
post Sep 18 2010, 02:22 AM
Post #378

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3844

No, a "DIN40" is the metric equivalent of an 1 1/2" which in this country is an exotic which means exspensive. I would also avoid a triclamp aka a sanitary fitting they are very expensive. High end pharmaceutical companies generally avoid them as well because they are so exspensive. I would go with an ordinary raised face flange. In that size range there only 4 bolts and why waist your money on a sanitary connection when you are going to hook it to a hose anyway? In the end your going to use a hose clamp anyway, so you are not saving yourself any potential leaks. Have you considered hard piping and an old school manifold set up? This will save you leaks and is not very expensive.

--------------------
Keep it r3al.
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Sep 18 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #379

error, please reboot

Todd Leopold has been a professional in this industry for years. I trust his judgement.

In the equipment costs of a distillery, even on the very small scale of mine, the costs of an SS pump, some quality hose and connectors are miniscule. The calibrated hydrometers I use for proofing cost way more than this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Leopold
post Sep 19 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #380

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3324

I suggested the sanitary triclamps for two reasons. One, they pop on and off in seconds, keeping DP from screwing around with bolts. And secondly, the pump I recommended is already fitted with triclamp connections. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy new fittings to connect triclamp to NPT fittings.

The smooth bore of the hose and the fittings ensures that there isn't flavor carryover from her absinthe to her, as an example, whiskey. This is just my opinion, but threads can lead to trouble.

Set up and tear down will be critical to DP as she grows. Because she's looking to make both absinthe and whiskey, she's going to have to clean that still an awful lot. 10-20 minutes of added set up or tear down time for CIP adds up, and adds up quickly. She needs to keep that still charged.

A manifold system would be, IMHO, much more expensive (those little ball valves aren't free)

All this is just my opinion. There's 1,000 ways to get to the finish line, obviously.

DP, you'll also need CC to weld a piece to get the drain that comes off the still to go to 1 1/2" triclamp, if you haven't already done so.

+Quote Post
Jaded Prole
post Sep 19 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #381

Absinthe Mafia

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 704

Personally, I think if she is serious about making both absinthe and whiskey on a regular basis she would be best served by using separate stills.

--------------------
A fine absinthe is the product of knowledge, craftsmanship, and talent. An exceptional absinthe is the product of those things plus obsession. Most absinthe is the product of marketing.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Sep 19 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #382

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

If the whiskey takes off I bet she will.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Sep 19 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #383

error, please reboot

DP, you'll also need CC to weld a piece to get the drain that comes off the still to go to 1 1/2" triclamp, if you haven't already done so.

Yes sir. Had to work through all the details (since it's new to me). Sent them email to make the two DN40 to TC 1.5" adapters with DN40 nut to go along with it. The drain (on the still) also has the DN40 connector like the input side of the CIP.

--------------------
+Quote Post
R3al Caravano
post Sep 20 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #384

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3844

QUOTE(Leopold @ Sep 19 2010, 03:27 PM) *

I suggested the sanitary triclamps for two reasons. One, they pop on and off in seconds, keeping DP from screwing around with bolts. And secondly, the pump I recommended is already fitted with triclamp connections. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy new fittings to connect triclamp to NPT fittings.

The smooth bore of the hose and the fittings ensures that there isn't flavor carryover from her absinthe to her, as an example, whiskey. This is just my opinion, but threads can lead to trouble.

Set up and tear down will be critical to DP as she grows. Because she's looking to make both absinthe and whiskey, she's going to have to clean that still an awful lot. 10-20 minutes of added set up or tear down time for CIP adds up, and adds up quickly. She needs to keep that still charged.

A manifold system would be, IMHO, much more expensive (those little ball valves aren't free)

All this is just my opinion. There's 1,000 ways to get to the finish line, obviously.

What is the pressure rating of the pump? When you're dealing with a spray ball if you do not have the appropriate pressure at the spray ball, whether it is static or mechanically actuated by the fluid pressure, it will not work properly. Of course when you are talking about pressure you must also consider pressure drop across the piping regime. The pressure at a pump discharge is not what you get at the end use.

Is the pump self priming? If it is not, what is the NPSH, and is appropriate for the situation? NPSH can be the difference between a pump that works (moves the liquid at all) and one that does not in the situation.

Is the pump a two piece (separated by a shaft)? The motor is the cheap portion of the pump.

Is the motor TEFC? An open motor sparks a bit and if it is in an environment where may be vaporized alcohol this could be an explosion issue. There are no governing agencies that deal with process equipment, like there is for building code.

Well that's just a few of the criteria to consider with a pump.

A RFF is not a NPT fitting.

Manifolds do not have to include valves or any expensive parts for that matter. If I recall the term is manifold panel.

--------------------
Keep it r3al.
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Sep 20 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #385

error, please reboot

Todd already gave the link to the pump, so I won't repeat it. But the motor is TEFC. The pump is self priming to 7.5 meters, pressure rating on the pump is 6 bar (87 psi), the spray balls work even with standard water pressure, the spray balls are not actuated by anything other than pressure.

A CARL still is not one of those cheap pieces of crap from EU that are sold to hobbyists.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Sep 21 2010, 04:07 AM
Post #386

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Member No.: 1747

No, those would be made by Egrot.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
kaseijin
post Oct 15 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #387

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 65

That is a gorgeous still, Dakini - kudos!
+Quote Post
Hillbilly
post Dec 6 2013, 05:55 PM
Post #388

Can't get right

Member No.: 4120

Blood, sweat, and tears.

--------------------
“Only the mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of the wolf.” Aldo Leopold

Them's what picks together.…sticks together.
+Quote Post
Bruno Rygseck
post Dec 6 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #389

Alberga Schutzkorps

Member No.: 1939

Great! Thanks flor posting the link.

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
+Quote Post

26 Pages V « < 24 25 26
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 04:32 PM