menu 2
menu 4
menu 6
menu 8
menu 10
menu 12

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Absinthe Original, Should be called absinth??
Lost Highway
post Jun 1 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3352

I recently got a bottle of Absinthe Original. After trying it not only was I disappointed, I was wondering if calling it absinthe is actually false advertising?
It has NO louche, none whatsoever. All I can really taste is the fennel, and the bouquet is not pronounced at all.
it actually seems to me like it should be a called absinth, not absinthe since it carries all the aspects if a chezch absinth. All I can say is that no one should ever EVER buy from this company. All of the reviews on the site seem totally bogus, one which read that it louched wonderfully, which unfortunately, tempted me to buy it.
It seems that everyone here would know that it is terrible, but I am a noob, and I was just wondering if people agree with me that calling it that name is indeed false advertisement.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Jun 1 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #2

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

Indeed™.

Actually, absinth without the 'e' is usually a clue that the beverage is of Czech origin, contains little, if any anise, and is often macerated, rather than distilled. Producers of these liquors claim that Czehs dislike anise, hence the difference in styles between traditional absinthe, and their absinth. While there might be a kernal of truth in that statement, the frequent hyping of alleged large amounts of thujone in their absinths does absolutely nothing to ameliorate their lack of credibility.

--------------------
"Even if Shabba had never set foot in Spain, Dr. O would still be wrong."

"That's worse than a cunt full of cold piss. What a bunch of low life, scum bag, rent seeking gangsters."

"He who smelt it, dealt it. I knew all the time it was you, you diabolical double-crossing rat fink Snidely Whiplash Boris Badinov wannabe!"
+Quote Post
Lost Highway
post Jun 2 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #3

Wow, this is the response I got from that crappy company, originalabsinthe.com,
Dear Brandon,

Thank you for your email, we were sad to hear about your unfortunate experience with Absinthe
Original Bitter Spirit. We can assure you that only the highest quality ingredients are used in its
manufacture and it is guaranteed to be free of artificial colourants and chemicals. It contains many
herbal extracts including angelica, aniseed, fennel, hyssop, juniper, nutmeg and wormwood (which
contains the neurotoxin chop.gif). You may know that the louche is caused mainly by aniseed and adding
more aniseed to Absinthe Original Bitter Spirit recipe would change its taste dramatically.

We were surprise to see the quote from our web site stated in your message that reads " … that it is Absinthe,
which, louches with color, unlocks a whole range of scents." I would like to ask you to to point us the
right direction to enable us to see it, so we can strictly request our IT to amend it. We are not aware of such
statement because we state that "Bohemian absinthe recipes have always meant that less anise is used in
local absinthe production, thus Absinthe does not turn milky, or 'louche' when water is added."

I would also add that strong louche is definitely NOT a benchmark of quality absinthe.

Utter Bull Shit.
And I never stated that it said it louches in the website. I said it was from a customer review, which to me
seems awfully suspicious.
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Jun 2 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #4

error, please reboot

Member No.: 3216

No one here is surprised by the response. Distributors and manufacturers of absinth have been promoting their products that way for years.

The best you can do is not to buy such products, not support the vendors selling such products.

And let your friends who think that products such as Absinthe Original are authentic know that it's not.

--------------------
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, 144 Delaware Street, Walton, NY 13856
An absinthe distillery in upstate NY. www.delawarephoenix.com
"Good is the only investment that never fails." - Thoreau.
+Quote Post
hartsmar
post Jun 2 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #5

Clint Wormwood

Group: Swedish Mafia
Member No.: 278

QUOTE(Lost Highway @ Jun 1 2008, 02:33 PM) *

it should be a called absinth, not absinthe since it carries all the aspects if a chezch absinth.

well... Absinthe Original IS a Czech product...

--------------------
Efficient but deadly

Voodoo Magic™ - Boveresse 2011
+Quote Post
Lost Highway
post Jun 2 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #6

Thats also why I put up the post. I know i was naive when I bought it, but I learned, now hopefully someone who is surfing the net looking for HONEST reviews of the drink will find one here, and also see that they are not advertising properly.
+Quote Post
Selmac
post Jun 2 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #7

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 763

Ideally it would be called neither.

My upstairs neighbor (and landlord) has a bottle in his cabinet. He would probably give me a sample for review if I asked for it.

Or forgot to pay the rent.

--------------------
"All that we really need is a change in our point of view toward life & a keener perception regarding the things that count & the things which merely burden us" - Gustav Stickley
+Quote Post
Le Gimp
post Jun 3 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #8

Grits guy

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2242

I took a bottle of Absinthe Original to a large (45 people) three day beer party. Several people tasted it (most spit it out) and I came back with most of the bottle contents still in the bottle.

The only market I can see for it is late night bar shots when people are too drunk to discern the flavor, or too drunk to care. For that, I feel the alcohol content is too great and one risks dammaging the esophagus. (Alcohol content much greater than 45% tends to defat tissue.)
+Quote Post
webweaver
post Jun 3 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3343

Ha, looks like they still haven't removed the review yet!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 02:43 AM