Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Absinthe St. Antoine, Reviewed
Bruno Rygseck
post Aug 29 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #31

Alberga Schutzkorps

Group: Members
Member No.: 1939

Nah, the police inspector would have been distilling absinthe himself, too…

But on the subject matter, Martin: the videos are great. I look forward to trying out St. Antoine myself.

--------------------
På detta dricka vi åtskilliga glas portvin.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marc
post Aug 30 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #32

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

QUOTE(martin.zufanek @ Aug 28 2009, 08:06 AM) *

As far as I know, badiane was used in Cusenier recipe and its widely used in todays absinthes.

And there is nothing wrong with it Martin, badiane is an excellent addition, as long as it doesn't replace green anise. I love a little of badiane in my absinthe.
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Aug 31 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #33

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

this is from 1817

IPB Image

those from late 1800's I can't remember exactly

IPB Image

IPB Image

so where I wanna go with this …badiane was a common ingredient … perhaps the anti-badiane league starts at the same time that the governement start to think to ban so the main idea was to get their products more healtier they could

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Conte d'Ugenta
post Sep 1 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #34

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 2889

I personally dislike star anise, and would probably like the Antoine a little better without it, BUT from an objective point of view the use of badiane in Antoine is flawless, it doesn't overpower the green anise and just complete it. The third batch really tastes like absinthe and really tastes good, great louche, mouthfeel, with a very herbal still fresh taste.
And the distillery location in Borsice, just a piece of heaven!

--------------------
Absinthii nihil a me alienum puto

Memento Audere Semper - Gabriele d'Annunzio
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Sep 1 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #35

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

You guys are killin' me.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Sep 1 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #36

Antipathist of Light

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 2442

And yet you still post. Obviously they haven't been thorough enough in their work.

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Sep 3 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #37

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

Hacks, the lot of them.

ON the other hand, I'm coming to believe it's more about the bleeding out than the killing, here at FV…

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Sep 3 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #38

error, please reboot

Member No.: 3216

Blood is necessary for life, you know. evill.gif

--------------------
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, 144 Delaware Street, Walton, NY 13856
An absinthe distillery in upstate NY. www.delawarephoenix.com
"Good is the only investment that never fails." - Thoreau.
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Sep 3 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #39

Cozy Nostril Originale

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 66

Indeed!

Paging Dr. O… evill.gif

Just kidding.

Really.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Seth
post Sep 6 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 3572

Hey… Can you send a sample to Brazil?????

--------------------
"O Absinto Faz o Coração Crescer mais Apaixonado"

+Quote Post
Green Baron
post Sep 11 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #41

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3093

QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ Aug 30 2009, 06:36 PM) *

this is from 1817

IPB Image

those from late 1800's I can't remember exactly

IPB Image

IPB Image

so where I wanna go with this …badiane was a common ingredient … perhaps the anti-badiane league starts at the same time that the governement start to think to ban so the main idea was to get their products more healtier they could

Ed (and anyone else with a perspective), I'm curious- and I ask this question without sarcasm- what leads you to believe the references you quoted are more reliable/authoritative as to the use of badiane in Suisse/superieure than those that exclude it?

Of course I'm no great absinthe researcher, but neither Brevans, Duplais, or Bedel call for badiane for superieure, and only call for it in lesser grades such as the various ordinare and fine classes.

Age of the document alone doesn't seem to be the best indicator of accuracy- I'm sure you're aware of example of an 1858 absinthe Suisse recipe that calls for cherry leaves and oil of anise (among other things), which we know is incorrect.

If there was an anti-badiane movement as you suggest (evidence that indicates this?) that motivated Bedel et. al. to exclude it from the superieures, why did they include it in the other distilled types?

Additionally, wouldn't recipes for specific marques be somewhat suspect depending on the source? Maybe this isn't the best analogy, but there's been reasonable guesses about the Coca Cola secret recipe, but are they 100% accurate? If cola was banned tomorrow, and many producers hoped to be back making their stuff at some point after the Great War ended (which everyone in 1914 thought would be over by Christmas), I feel like they wouldn't really feel compelled to say "game over" and spill their secrets.

Just stuff that got me thinkin'.

--------------------
Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!
"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence…"
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Sep 11 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #42

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

what leads you to believe the references you quoted are more reliable/authoritative as to the use of badiane in Suisse/superieure than those that exclude it?
[/color]

yes and no I only quote few there about 20 document that take the almost the same recipe and chande an ingredient or two , the ratio

I meaned that early recipe contains but was retired later because it was belived to be toxic and inferior… Since most here knows that 90% of the modern swiss bleue recipe (that have evoluated from the pre-ban recipe) contains some

Of course I'm no great absinthe researcher, but neither Brevans, Duplais, or Bedel call for badiane for superieure, and only call for it in lesser grades such as the various ordinare and fine classes.

Age of the document alone doesn't seem to be the best indicator of accuracy-
With those stuff I wanted to pin down the before 1820's of absinthe

I'm sure you're aware of example of an 1858 absinthe Suisse recipe that calls for cherry leaves and oil of anise (among other things), which we know is incorrect.

I wasn't aware before but I can see something the recipe is in english and we had good example of translating recipe here that they change elecamphane to be black alder … perhaps an translation mistake

If there was an anti-badiane movement as you suggest (evidence that indicates this?
Absinthe Bourgeois Label that is stated Garantie sans badiane ) that motivated Bedel et. al. to exclude it from the superieures, why did they include it in the other distilled types?

I would say since bourgeois is an well known Pontarlier producer that might have and influence and since they were scientist perhaps because of the little methanol the distilled badiane produces

Additionally, wouldn't recipes for specific marques be somewhat suspect depending on the source?
Could be , as duvallon stated on his blog there is always something missing in old recipe …I also think that duplais ,brevans etc where made for those that were already distiller so they could pin down the wrong part but the unskilled distiller can't

Just stuff that got me thinkin' that is what I wanted to do w00t2.gif

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Absinthia
post Sep 22 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #43

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3299

Absinthe St. Antoine 3rd batch

Reviewed by Absinthia 09/22/2009
Absinthia scores Absinthe St. Antoine 3rd batch 82 out of 100

Editor's note: Review merged into main review post above
+Quote Post
Marc
post Sep 22 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #44

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

I'm just tasting my first glass of batch #3 right now and I can say it's damn good! Great improvement from batch 1 & 2.

I'll write a more detailed review later but for now:
The veronica profile is still there (mainly in the aroma before water) but is now well balanced with green+star anise and a nice fenel in the background. But the main flavor is now a savory A.a., what a surpise! It makes me think of nicely-flavored-Blanchette.

This is really a great absinthe we have from the Czech Republic, Martin can now start to teach others in his country how a 'real' absinthe should taste. Congrats Martin, you have it!

Note: it is a little bit too tongue numbing Martin, I would slightly decrease the star anise quantity in benefit of the fenel. The rest is perfect, specially the A.a..
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 22 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #45

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I'm sure you're aware of example of an 1858 absinthe Suisse recipe that calls for cherry leaves and oil of anise (among other things), which we know is incorrect.

I wasn't aware before but I can see something the recipe is in english and we had good example of translating recipe here that they change elecamphane to be black alder … perhaps an translation mistake

There is an English translation of Duplais (actually published in English back in the day) that contains (as does the original French version) a recipe for absinthe of Nimes. Whoever translated it turned "racines d'aunée" into "black alder". No doubt that mistake was repeated through the years by people who read that work, or maybe others made the same mistake in translation. Aunée is not black alder; it is elecampane (Inula helenium). My translation of Duplais at Oxy's website has it correctly.

This post has been edited by Artemis: Sep 22 2009, 11:19 PM

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 09:13 AM