Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions from a n00b
TaLi
post Sep 26 2003, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 77

Hey all I'm really new to Absinthe, however have been interested in it since I first heard of it when I was 17 and I was into the whole psycadelic thing. I tried steeping a concoction of my own through a recipe I found on the net using vodka and a mix of herbs I bought at the local herbarium. The result a thick brown liquorice reeking swill, that after a friend and I tried to force down a couple shots subsequently found its way into the trash. 2 days later I developed rheumatic fever haha a coincidence I know but never the less I headed the warning not to brew my own again. blink.gif My interest was brought about again on a spring break trip in Canada when I was 21, I was at the liquor store stocking up fo the party we we're gonna have at the condo we had rented, when I saw it. shock.gif I wasted no time and bought a bottle of Hill's. Needless to say me and my friends start tryin to drink it down straight and couldnt manage to get through more than half the bottle. I came back later extremely drunk and polished off the remainder of the bottle (either that or I dumped it down the sink censored2.gif ) I woke up remembering nothing but that I was in the midst of the worst hangover of my life. That was that. I again forgot about absinthe for a couple years which brings me to present day I recently started reading and doing a little study time on Absinthe and decided for my first purchase I'd go with 2 bottles of Un Emile 68. I actually enjoyed, which as I remember was not my reaction to Hill's, although I'm drinking it 1:4 with the slotted spoon and sugar cube method now. Sorry bout the life story to the question,

I need some advice on what other brands I should try as I would like to have something to compare to the only one I've tried (and remembered sp_ike.gif )

--------------------
souvent des périodes je bois pour oublier, autre et des périodes bien plus mauvaises que j'oublie de boire
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 26 2003, 06:37 PM
Post #2

L'Enfant Terrible

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 17

Check out the wonderful buyer's guide on this very site! The Un Emile's are the shit right now, as far as commercial brands go. Another you may want to try is Francois Guy.

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
TaLi
post Sep 26 2003, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Novitiate

Member No.: 77

Ahh I knew I recognized your name, haha lemme explain. When I was doing some research on Absinthe I was taken to many sites from which to purchase and all seemingly biased towards one product or another La Fee being on of these. So I turned to reading forums and combing through the posts to find out which were reccomended. And actually it was you and few others that reccomended Un Emile, and was more or less the deciding factor in my first purchase. sombrero2.gif

--------------------
souvent des périodes je bois pour oublier, autre et des périodes bien plus mauvaises que j'oublie de boire
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 26 2003, 08:30 PM
Post #4

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

Good choice with the Un Emile. Enjoy!

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Kallisti
post Sep 26 2003, 08:31 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Welcome Tali... firedance-6.gif

You've made a good choice on the Emile, try all three, the 68, the blanche & the sapin... YUM.

Guy is, as Rimbaud says, a good second.

Here's to yummy drinking!
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 26 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

The result a thick brown liquorice reeking swill,

Many employment opportunities for you in Bohemia (or even the whole of Eastern Europe, according to some Czechs, if I am really to believe it's my western palate that colours my judgment).

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 26 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

I need some advice on what other brands I should try

If you have Francois Guy (which is probably what I'd get to get something very different from Un Emile 68), you could also give Abisinthe 72 from Lemercier a try. And if you don't like it as much as Un Emile 68, you can always mix it 50/50 with Francois Guy (which is my current favourite, yeah verily, even above the Un Emile La Blanche).

All in all, if you have these three, you'll be able to choose one according to mood or taste (after all, I don't have *one* bottle of whisky either) and always enjoy it.

Versinthe Blanche is also interesting, though not as good in my view. Bottle looks great, though.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Wolfgang
post Sep 27 2003, 01:04 AM
Post #8

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 16

Let's not forget senior Segarra. He makes a very simple product but it's well done and like every distilled absinthe does, it improves with age (I don't drink it very often so I have bottles that are almost 1 year old).
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Sep 27 2003, 06:15 AM
Post #9

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 44

Wolfgang - absolutly correct.
+Quote Post
Mephistopheles
post Sep 27 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #10

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 31

I have heard great things about Segarra as well, I could relate first-hand but the order that I placed with http://www.absinthvertrieb.de/shop/ShopSystem.asp
never arrived. I paid for it but somehow it disappeared in shipping and now I get a bill instead of the absinthe I ordered. Paper does not louche well at any temperature.
+Quote Post
Zman
post Sep 28 2003, 03:37 AM
Post #11

Marc Bernhard

Member No.: 54

Your response seems to be a dig at Markus for your absinthe not showing up due to Customs "liberating" it from being delivered to you. If your absinthe does not arrive due to being intercepted by Customs, this in no way can be his fault. You, as the purchaser of said product, are responsible for it. We all know that while absinthe is not a controlled substance, it is illicit for importation into the United States. We as purchasers take the risk, not the seller. Markus is a standup guy when it comes to how he treats his customers.
Z

--------------------
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
G.K. Chesterton

www.pacificdistillery.com
Makers of Voyager Single-Batch Distilled Gin and Pacifique Absinthe.
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Sep 28 2003, 06:35 AM
Post #12

Absinthusiast

There's nothing else for me to add - thanks zman for "support". It's exactly that.
+Quote Post
Mephistopheles
post Sep 29 2003, 11:22 AM
Post #13

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 31

I never received a letter from customs.
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Sep 29 2003, 11:25 AM
Post #14

Absinthusiast

That seems to be normal
+Quote Post
justabob
post Sep 29 2003, 03:39 PM
Post #15

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

This is a disturbing trend I myself have had no trouble with Marcus or any other vendor. As a matter of fact I was on holiday when my last shipment from Marcus arrived via USPS. I was left a post card type deal telling me It will be held at the post office. When I got there the next week the nice lady behind the counter gave the package a shake and said ," you know it is illegal to transport liquor through the mail", then she winked and chuckled!

Is this happening with the USPS only or have courier delivered shipments, such as LDF been effected as well?

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2018 - 04:20 PM