Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions from a n00b
Esseintes
post Sep 29 2003, 03:42 PM
Post #16

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 44

Hmm, how did she know? There's no sign anywhere on the parcel saing liquor or Absinthe in...
I don't think that this lady know me
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
justabob
post Sep 29 2003, 03:48 PM
Post #17

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (www.Absinthe-Distribution.com @ Sep 29 2003, 07:42 AM)
Hmm, how did she know? There's no sign anywhere on the parcel saing liquor or Absinthe in...
I don't think that this lady know me

Markus I have no Idea, she proablly was just guessing. I have known this lady for years and she is always making jokes. My point is the average person who works at the post office does not care what they are delivering.

BTW Thank you for the great service.

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 29 2003, 03:55 PM
Post #18

L'Enfant Terrible

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 17

I have yet to order from Markus, as I've been drinking the Un Emiles as of late. However, I hear very good things about him and would certainly do business with him if I wanted to order something other than the Un Emile products.

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Sep 29 2003, 04:01 PM
Post #19

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 44

YEAH - I know I'm an Absinthe celeb, but now it's getting too much - every US Postman knows me :-)))))

Rimbaud, maybe you want to be the guinea pig for the new La Muse Verte 68... Could be worth it!
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Sep 29 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #20

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

I've heard that their pastis is very good. Have you personally tried their new offering?

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Zouave
post Sep 29 2003, 05:18 PM
Post #21

Blanche Queen

Member No.: 32

I've tried Muse Verte 68.. IMHO, it's one of the better oil mixes. If you like La Fee or Pernod 68, you may find MV68 interesting.. it has an herbal, somewhat bitter, yet almost floral taste.. hard to describe, but I enjoy it as an "eye-closer" late at night.

On the other hand, if the Emiles are the only commercial brands that hold any appeal, MV won't impress you.
+Quote Post
TaLi
post Sep 29 2003, 05:55 PM
Post #22

Novitiate

Member No.: 77

I dont know I received my bottles from LDF in 4 days to Portland, OR. And have another acquaintance that orders from La Boheme and has never had a problem. blink.gif

--------------------
souvent des périodes je bois pour oublier, autre et des périodes bien plus mauvaises que j'oublie de boire
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Sep 29 2003, 07:06 PM
Post #23

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

A liquor bottle is heavy, and you can feel the movement of liquid inside the package, so I think it's a reasonable guess. I've mailed a bottle liquor out of the country before, and the postal worker suggested that I write gift on the customs tag when I was filling it out. I didn't tell her what was inside the package, but I think she knew what it was. I imagine that someone who spends all day handling packages gets good at guessing whats inside them.
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 29 2003, 07:53 PM
Post #24

Anal sage

From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

QUOTE (justabob @ Sep 29 2003, 05:39 PM)
This is a disturbing trend I myself have had no trouble with Marcus or any other vendor. As a matter of fact I was on holiday when my last shipment from Marcus arrived via USPS. I was left a post card type deal telling me It will be held at the post office. When I got there the next week the nice lady behind the counter gave the package a shake and said ," you know it is illegal to transport liquor through the mail", then she winked and chuckled!

Is this happening with the USPS only or have courier delivered shipments, such as LDF been effected as well?

That begs the question -- what would make Un Emile *legally* prohibited in the US?

Sure, they have absinthe laws -- but so have the French. Legally, SAPA is *not* absinthe (at least in France), and alpha-T levels are well below what you can find in most commercial vermouths (which, IIRC, have wormwood flowers as an ingredient), which are clearly available in the US.

And Un Emile proudly displays "Spiritueux aux Extraits de Plantes d'Absinthe" on the label, not just "absinthe".

Of course, that depends on the US customs actually enforcing US law and not whatever their paranoid fantasies happen to tell them to do, but still...

[note: I'm not saying it's simple to bring in SAPA in the US -- there's always the small matter of excise duties. But illegal in se?]

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
TaLi
post Sep 29 2003, 08:17 PM
Post #25

Novitiate

The only reference to "absinthe" being illegal in the US is the FDAs listing of Alpha-T as being an illegal food additive. Although the very presence of vermouth would tend to disagree with that statement. blink.gif

--------------------
souvent des périodes je bois pour oublier, autre et des périodes bien plus mauvaises que j'oublie de boire
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 29 2003, 08:36 PM
Post #26

Anal sage

QUOTE (TaLi @ Sep 29 2003, 10:17 PM)
The only reference to "absinthe" being illegal in the US is the FDAs listing of Alpha-T as being an illegal food additive. Although the very presence of vermouth would tend to disagree with that statement. blink.gif

Same in Europe: Alpha-t is banned as a food additive, but levels of it that happen to end up in a product are *regulated* -- and zero's not the limit. Un Emile and Francois Guy aren't adding Alpha-t to their product -- they're trying to keep the levels of it *down* into a range well below that of commercial vermouth, so at least he European equivalent of that ban on alpha-t *as a food additive* does not apply.

OTOH, I do remember that the US also passed an absinthe-banning law in 1912...is this still in force (or did it go the way of the dodo when the prohibition ceased)? That *must* be different from the FDA regulation, and I'm pretty curious as to how it defined absinthe.

--------------------
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 29 2003, 09:05 PM
Post #27

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

"what would make Un Emile *legally* prohibited in the US?"

Title 21, Chapter 1, Part 172.510

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
TaLi
post Sep 29 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #28

Novitiate

Sec. 172.510 Natural flavoring substances and natural substances used in conjunction with flavors.

Natural flavoring substances and natural adjuvants may be safely
used in food in accordance with the following conditions.
(a) They are used in the minimum quantity required to produce their
intended physical or technical effect and in accordance with all the
principles of good manufacturing practice.
(cool.gif In the appropriate forms (plant parts, fluid and solid extracts,
concretes, absolutes, oils, gums, balsams, resins, oleoresins, waxes,
and distillates) they consist of one or more of the following, used
alone or in combination with flavoring substances and adjuvants
generally recognized as safe in food, previously sanctioned for such
use, or regulated in any section of this part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Common name Scientific name Limitations
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Artemisia (wormwood)............................. Artemisia spp............... Finished food Pork ribs free1

yeah so no Alpha-T in products designed for human consumption

So vermouth must be an exception or do they make sure Vermouth is Alpha-T free before import or post production in the US?

--------------------
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 29 2003, 09:55 PM
Post #29

Anal sage

Artemisia (wormwood)............................. Artemisia spp............... Finished food Pork ribs free1

Thx for the pointer -- I located the original. The method referenced in footnote is hard to locate, though (and it's hard to know what the detection level is).

Seems pretty silly -- sage and tarragon aren't listed, but they contain pork ribs as well -- and sage contains lots of it. Yet I don't see the FDA gatecrash all the italian restaurants that use these in pasta dishes...

Not to mention that the pork ribs limit for bitter spirits in Europe is decidedly not what I'd call "pork ribs limit", so I doubt well-known European vermouths are pork ribs free in the US.

--------------------
--
+Quote Post
traineraz
post Sep 30 2003, 02:50 AM
Post #30

Absinthe Mafia

Member No.: 38

Aside from the whole Pork ribs-banning dealiebob, it's also illegal to send alcohol or other flammable liquids through the mail, AND illegal to import alcohol without a license.

So, regardless of Pork ribs concerns, there are plenty of reasons why a bottle may vanish . . . and a bottle of Scotch would vanish under the same circumstances.

There's also the possibility of theft. It happens. My first Emile order vanished from a warehouse after arriving in the States. Poor little fella.

LDF sent another one right away.

--------------------
"Now that we've defined what marriage is, we need to take that further and say children deserve to be in that relationship." - Greg Quinlan of Ohio's Pro-Family Network, a conservative Christian group which apparently promotes pedophilia.

. . . and don't forget to read the FAQ and check out the Absinthe Buyer's Guide for brand reviews and distributor links!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 03:31 PM