sixela
post Sep 30 2003, 09:41 AM
Post #31

Anal sage

Group: Absinthe Mafia
From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

it's also illegal to send alcohol or other flammable liquids through the mail,

Mhh -- no such thing in Europe, I think (or am I wrong?). Although it might be different for air mail, though (anyone know?).

AND illegal to import alcohol without a license.

Certainly no such thing in Europe - as long as you pay all the appropriate excise duties, VAT etc., and it's for personal consumption. [Even if it's not for personal consumption -- it's the actual *selling* of alcohol that requires a license, not the buying]

IIRC, the examples on the Belgian customs and excises web page for packets ordered over the internet outside of the EU includes examples with whisky bottles etc.

As far as going somewhere else in the EU and physically moving bottles ourselves, we can bring home whatever we want, as long as it's for personal consumption and the VAT and excises were paid in full in the country of purchase.

(there are guidelines for which quantities are generally deemed to be for personal consumption, but the European commission has reprimanded countries (notably the UK) who refuse to accept other evidence as to whether something is for "personal consumption" -- if you're bringing home lots of wine for your daughter's wedding, it is legitimate even when it's more than the guideline limit).

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 30 2003, 06:20 PM
Post #32

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/P...FTOKEN=50316399

The discussion is dated (1995), but the brief history of interference, for better or worse, by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (which was responsible for the absinthe ban in July of 1912) and later the FDA, in matters of what can and can't be sold for people to put into their mouths in the U.S., is interesting.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Herr Hepcat
post Oct 6 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #33

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 88

Don't forget, aside from it being alcohol, a flammable liquid, etc.

US Customs explicitly states Absinthe as a prohibited item to bring into the US, any way, shape or form:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation..._restricted.xml

+Quote Post
Herr Hepcat
post Oct 6 2003, 07:47 PM
Post #34

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 88

I also don't think any of us are pulling the wool over the eyes of US Customs. If they wanna open it and see, they can. I just really doubt the majority of Customs gives a hoot, unless your having cases upon cases shipped.

When I picked up my first shipment from Sebor at the post office, the lady there (who doesn't know me), said "Sounds like bottled liquid, what did you have shipped?"

"Some antiques." I replied.

Off I went.

(I have to admit, I was a bit nervous picking it up, that post office is located in a big federal building that also houses some Customs offices. Ahh to live in a port city.)
+Quote Post
Raschied Britannica
post Oct 7 2003, 03:50 AM
Post #35

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 35

My LdF shipments have never been confiscated or held, but that's just me. I stopped using the USPS after the mailman started asking all the questions about my Sebor package.

"Seeeeeebor's

Greenish swill Coolers!!!

Seeebor's Greenish swill coolers!!"

[Sing in best Bruce Willis imitation]
+Quote Post
Wolfgang
post Oct 7 2003, 11:05 AM
Post #36

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 16

ref.: http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/law/la...additives.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the french found a way around it, I'm pretty sure there's a legal possibility in the US. I have my little idea about it but to implement it it would require lots of money to pay a well qualified lawyer. Most of the time it's about money, lawyers and the label on the bottle...

And then of course every taxes would have to be paid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Quebec it can be done. All I have to do is call the SAQ and ask for a private import. They will take care of it and charge me the prohibitive taxes + their profit. There's of course a minimum quantity order but I don't remember how much it was but it was too much for my liking ( I did check about a year ago just out of curiosity ). They can order it for you from whichever place you tell them. It could be worthwhile if someone could ask the SAQ to buy directly from a distillery but you would have to make sure that they sell in such small quantity (which should not be a problem if you contact them first and tell them you wish to promote their product...).

If there's anybody else from Quebec out there who would be ready to actually place an order legally, please let me know, I would like to actually see the whole process down to the bottle in your hands because I only called the SAQ and asked but never actually did it (mostly because I almost never drink commercial absinthes except for the very occasional Emile or Segarra).

Any producers/distributors selling distilled absinthe out there wants to run and finance at least part of the test ?
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Oct 8 2003, 02:29 AM
Post #37

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Herr Hepcat @ Oct 6 2003, 11:47 AM)
When I picked up my first shipment from Sebor at the post office, the lady there (who doesn't know me), said "Sounds like bottled liquid, what did you have shipped?"

"Some antiques."  I replied.

I would have said olive oil, and it might have even been true.
+Quote Post
le Gimp
post Oct 9 2003, 11:08 PM
Post #38

Unregistered

Some bottles slosh and the sound is unmistakably a thin liquid vs olive oil which is thicker.

Evening all. Tried getting in here six months ago or so and had a snafu.

Nice that it worked this time.

I see several handles I'm familiar with. Hello one and all.

Nice site.
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Oct 10 2003, 02:50 PM
Post #39

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

Hi Gemp !

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Mephistopheles
post Oct 11 2003, 01:20 AM
Post #40

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 31

Never had a problem with LDF. The package usually arrives via Smokin Monkey.gif .
+Quote Post
Mephistopheles
post Oct 11 2003, 01:26 AM
Post #41

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (www.Absinthe-Distribution.com @ Sep 29 2003, 08:01 AM)
YEAH - I know I'm an Absinthe celeb, but now it's getting too much - every US Postman knows me :-)))))

Rimbaud, maybe you want to be the guinea pig for the new La Muse Verte 68... Could be worth it!

Yes, you are a celebrity. Infamous for supposedly shipping packages of absinthe that somehow do not arrive at the chosen destination. Carry on Marcus. headbonk.gif
+Quote Post
Balzdeep
post Oct 11 2003, 04:07 AM
Post #42

Absinthusiast

From: Neither here nor there...Neithernere? Nyethornare? Bill Nye looks like Thor after using Nair?
Member No.: 57

Sheesh! Some people can't let a sleeping cow lie, let alone a DEAD ONE! Quit Poking It! It's gonna EXPLODE!!!

--------------------
If you can read this, you are sitting too close to your monitor.
+Quote Post
Rimbaud
post Oct 13 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #43

L'Enfant Terrible

Member No.: 17

I can't bear to watch....

--------------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
"That's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!"
"Bulbous, also tapered."
+Quote Post
Esseintes
post Oct 13 2003, 03:21 PM
Post #44

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Mephistopheles @ Oct 10 2003, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (www.Absinthe-Distribution.com @ Sep 29 2003, 08:01 AM)
YEAH - I know I'm an Absinthe celeb, but now it's getting too much - every US Postman knows me :-)))))

Rimbaud, maybe you want to be the guinea pig for the new La Muse Verte 68... Could be worth it!

Yes, you are a celebrity. Infamous for supposedly shipping packages of absinthe that somehow do not arrive at the chosen destination. Carry on Marcus. headbonk.gif

Contact me directly, if there are any problems with your order.

If I sent your order to the wrong destination (and it was my error), I'll send it again to the corret one without charging you.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 12:11 PM