Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fun in…, American Distilling
Grim
post Jun 4 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #1

La Faucheuse

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 434

Joel Elder of Tuthilltown Spirits came down to visit… if you haven't heard of these folks yet, check out their website. Joel's been the lead distiller their for a little more than a year (after you'd visited, Cheryl). But man, the guy's really got a heart of gold.

Put simply: goods drinks, good distilling and good discussion.

You know, for quite a while I've needed to buckle down and really work on my understanding and comfort-level with grain distilling. No better person to speak to than he. And I know I bounce all over the place, but I've got to say that their team is really doing some interesting stuff with their smaller barrels. Smaller barrels really extract fast-as-hell, and bring elements of protracted ageing to the fore, but tend to lack the finer, rounded profile that results from storage in full-sized barrels. All American Oak; which isn't a statement for or against. Just a statement. I'd actually be really interested in what they could do with Limousin (not chips either).

They're temporarily picking up a really talented wine-maker, Owen Laine, for the next few months… hopefully they keep that guy in front of the pot as much as possible.

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
R3al Caravano
post Feb 8 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #2

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 3844

How did it go?

--------------------
Keep it r3al.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 05:59 AM