3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to make Absinthe Glasses
Tirador
post Jun 9 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #16

Absinthusiast

Group: Members
From: Slaving over an old alambic and a pile of herbs and spices.
Member No.: 2689

QUOTE(Flasheart @ Jun 9 2009, 03:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Tirador @ Jun 8 2009, 08:27 PM) *

Ceramic molds have been used at least since Roman times to make bottles and glasses … so it might just work. Especially if the guy's a talented glass blower.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about ceramic. Everywhere I checked just had metal and wood. I'd think wood would burn down a bit evertime you used it. Now we'll just have to see if I can make a mold! :)

Here's an article that goes into the various ancient techniques of making glass objects. Its a good read if you're interested, and it does discuss blow-molding.

http://artgallery.yale.edu/pdf/perspect/ancient_glass.pdf

Next, here's a link to a book on Roman Mold Blown glass that you can read on-line. The section beginning on page 45 titled "mold blowing" talks about what you're trying to do and even includes pictures and descriptions of clay molds, plus a section titled "the reproduction of molds", which might lead you in the right direction for what you're thinking of.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8a5acebpR…snum=4#PPA48,M1

Enjoy …

S.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jun 9 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #17

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jun 9 2009, 04:16 PM) *

I don't know about shortening the stem. You don't want to have to cup the reservoir in your hand. The point of having a stem is to help keep the drink cold by giving you another way to hold the glass.

If he wants them to look like Pontarlier glasses, then they mostly have no stem.
I can't hold any absinthe glass by the stem anyway, the balance is too bad at this point.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Jun 9 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #18

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

QUOTE(Flasheart @ Jun 9 2009, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jun 9 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Best.
Location.
Evar.

You've been to Chikugo? Or to Fukuoka? Fukuoka has some nice places, but Chikugo is fairly boring really :)

No no no:

My location is listed as "New England". True, but not very original.

Steyr850 listed his location as "Sherman's ashtray". Witty. Original.

Tirador is located "Slaving over an old alambic and a pile of herbs and spices". There's a fresh take.

Absinthist is "Somewhere else". Mildly humorous, but not very helpful.

You on the other hand, are in Chikugo, Fukuoka. I don't think I could tell someone that and keep a straight face, and it's an actual place! It's perfect. Probably not funny at all in Japan, but I'm in the immature, horribly inappropriate US. It'd be like actually living at "69 Lover's Lane". OK, not quite, but hopefully you get the picture.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jun 10 2009, 03:39 AM
Post #19

tool making biped

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 193

Very thin blown glass is also a sign of quality .

--------------------
+Quote Post
Marc
post Jun 10 2009, 07:35 AM
Post #20

Da froggy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1711

I agree with Kirk, it's harder to make thin glasses.
I think those are way too thick. I like sturdy glasses though, because of the feeling in hands, but above 400-500g it starts to be annoying.
+Quote Post
OCvertDe
post Jun 10 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #21

All I got is wooden tokens

Member No.: 3208

I agree with both of you.

This was my line of thought when everyone was raving about the new Simon Pierce reservoir glasses that could double as boat anchors, but my ass still hurts from being bent over the couch for saying so.

--------------------
"Hmmm, someone rated Zima higher than Sam Adams? Well, they both blow, so who gives a rat's ass?" -bob_chong
"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" -Petermark
"I can't drink at work. We have no ice." -Selmac
"…but it sure would've been a blast to be there on that night." -Absomphe
"here is what absinthe almost tastes like" -Kirk
+Quote Post
Flasheart
post Jun 10 2009, 02:05 PM
Post #22

Novitiate

Member No.: 3070

QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jun 10 2009, 04:47 AM) *

No no no:

My location is listed as "New England". True, but not very original.

Steyr850 listed his location as "Sherman's ashtray". Witty. Original.

Tirador is located "Slaving over an old alambic and a pile of herbs and spices". There's a fresh take.

Absinthist is "Somewhere else". Mildly humorous, but not very helpful.

You on the other hand, are in Chikugo, Fukuoka. I don't think I could tell someone that and keep a straight face, and it's an actual place! It's perfect. Probably not funny at all in Japan, but I'm in the immature, horribly inappropriate US. It'd be like actually living at "69 Lover's Lane". OK, not quite, but hopefully you get the picture.

Now I get it! You know it never occured me before. If you read it wrong I guess it could come out as "chick you go fuck you ok eh" possibly. :) I don't think I could tell someone that as my home :)
+Quote Post
Flasheart
post Jun 10 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #23

Novitiate

QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jun 10 2009, 04:35 PM) *

I agree with Kirk, it's harder to make thin glasses.
I think those are way too thick. I like sturdy glasses though, because of the feeling in hands, but above 400-500g it starts to be annoying.

I don't know how thin he can make them. These are a bit on the heavy side, especially the tall one. I think a lot of the heavy feeling comes from the foot. It's a lot thicker than the wall of the glass.
We'll just have to try and see how it turns out.
+Quote Post
Flasheart
post Jun 10 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #24

Novitiate

QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jun 10 2009, 01:47 AM) *

If he wants them to look like Pontarlier glasses, then they mostly have no stem.
I can't hold any absinthe glass by the stem anyway, the balance is too bad at this point.

Actually Pontalier is exactly what I'm thinking. I love the look of the pontalier glasses I can find on the net. If I could find them for sale inside Japan I wouldn't have to go through all this trouble to try and make some, but on the other hand I have a feeling making my own is going to be way more fun! (if we manage)
I also tend to hold my glass near the top too, so a short foot will suit me I think. Maybe we can try several different sizes. Who knows.
+Quote Post
Flasheart
post Jun 10 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #25

Novitiate

QUOTE(Tirador @ Jun 10 2009, 01:10 AM) *

Here's an article that goes into the various ancient techniques of making glass objects. Its a good read if you're interested, and it does discuss blow-molding.

Enjoy …

S.

Thanks! There's no way for me to get a mold ready for Saturday, but hopefully sometime I'll manage.
+Quote Post
Tirador
post Jun 12 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #26

Absinthusiast

QUOTE(Flasheart @ Jun 9 2009, 05:22 AM) *

Yeah! I've got the picture working! I think the last time it was too big.

So these are the first attemp by the glassblower by himself, and hopefully I'll be halping him make something better in a few days!

I like those! I'd drink out of them … of course I'd drink out of most anything that will hold liquid.

S.
+Quote Post
Flasheart
post Jun 15 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #27

Novitiate

Well, I've been to Nagasaki and back, and I'm unsure how things are going to turn out. The glass blower is a hopeless alcoholic who started drinking at 7:30 AM and was passed out by 3. I thought we'd be able to get the glases made, but it didn't turn out that way at all. I did print out pictures for him and I think he has the idea of what I want now, using the pictures, one old glass he made with a good resevoir, and one attempt he made yesterday with a good upper glass size as reference, he says he'll make them for me. I'm not sure if anything will come of it though. Screw it. If he makes something decent, great, but I'm not holding my breathe. So screw it, I'm going to Canada in 3 weeks, anyone know where to buy absinthe glasses?
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Jun 15 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #28

tool making biped

Member No.: 193

Hold on there cowboy , that's an artist you're talking about .
I'll buy a couple of the rejects. How much does he want for a good one ?
Next time bring his favorite booze with you and ask him to share it with you , after he's done blowing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tirador
post Jun 15 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #29

Absinthusiast

QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 15 2009, 04:51 AM) *

Hold on there cowboy , that's an artist you're talking about .
I'll buy a couple of the rejects. How much does he want for a good one ?
Next time bring his favorite booze with you and ask him to share it with you , after he's done blowing.

Well Said Kirk! Well Said.

Like I said, I'd drink out of the glasses he's made already … they don't look like mass produced store bought common Absinthe glasses, but that's part of the charm.

Besides, you're in Japan.

1) Take a good look at what the Japanese potters do, and what is considered the top of their craft. You'll find unique asymetrical pieces …

2) Realize that time and art/craft are both viewed differently in Japan (and much of Asia), then they are in the west.

The glass blower you're dealing with comes from these traditions. He's likely not interested in making a cookie cutter absinthe glass. Rather he'll want to make his interpretation of one … and he'll be in no hurry to do so.

Spend some time with the guy. Bring him a good bottle of gizake, tell him you'd like to ice it down while he works and you'll split it with him when he's done. Ask him about his craft, his history, what types of things he likes … his favorate booze.

Also, remember that the Japanese are waaay into presentos. Bring him a little something (wagashi are always good) just to show him you appreciate his attention.

Just my two cents … Oh, and I went to a Japanese high school (NOT an International School) in Kansai for a year, worked in Japan for several years as an executve at a major U.S. company and studied budo for much of my adult life. I also spent time there as a Marine. While I am no expert on Japanese culture, I have been fortunate enough to have learned to survive and prosper in their world as an outsider.

S.
+Quote Post
Grim
post Jun 15 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #30

La Faucheuse

Member No.: 434

…and studied budo for much of my adult life…

Formally, or truly as a way of life?

--------------------
O how noble it appeared to my childish admiration when he returned… indifferent to the violent scenes and mute reproaches alike.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 10:19 AM