> Does kind of water influence louche?
sixela
post Sep 27 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Anal sage

Group: Absinthe Mafia
From: somewhere closer to Boveresse and Pontarlier than most of you
Member No.: 48

I just observed something awkward. When dripping water on my favourite commercial absinthe mixture (which is 50/50 FG/Abisinthe), refrigerated tap water [1] gives a much heavier louche than my (likewise refrigerated) bottle of mineral water. And that's keeping the temperature and sugar amount as constant as possible...

So -- what's the difference? If mineral content in the water influences the way an absinthe louches, what water do we select for the nicest louche? (just to impress the friends, of course, but I have a hunch that the louche is indicative of elements of the essential oils coming out of solution when the alcohol concentration drops, in which case it might even influence the taste!).

[1] Yeah -- sundays for you, when you're out of mineral water wink.gif.

--------------------
Varno Ettanu Parmantaurëo
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TaLi
post Sep 27 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #2

Novitiate

Group: Members
Member No.: 77

heh I was pondering similar questions this Saturday afternoon awhile enjoying my first drink at 3:00. This and I did a different mixture 2:5 so the flavor wasnt as diluted as my 1:4. But the use of different type of waters is an interesting question to ponder. But from my inexperience I have no insights to add, although from you introducing this question I might have to run to the store and pick up a couple different brands of water.

(already drinking at 3:00pm) dev.gif

I'll let you know of my findings..... not that it will matter much tongue.gif

--------------------
souvent des périodes je bois pour oublier, autre et des périodes bien plus mauvaises que j'oublie de boire
+Quote Post
Wolfgang
post Sep 28 2003, 11:31 AM
Post #3

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 16

Using many different kind of water is very useful to... justify drinking 6 absinthes ;-)

Otherwise, as long as it doesn`t have much taste it`s all right. I use spring water because of an overly chlorinated tap water but which brand of spring water doesn`t really change the end product.

I would not recommand mineral water (Perrier, SanPellegrino and such) in absinthe because of the obvious taste and bubbles. Soft spring water is perfect.
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 28 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

"I have a hunch that the louche is indicative of elements of the essential oils coming out of solution when the alcohol concentration drops"

Hunch, is it?

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Brett
post Sep 28 2003, 02:28 PM
Post #5

Highland Absintheur

Member No.: 30

I use tap water loaded with ice cubes and chilled in the fridge for around ~20 minutes prior. Our tap water here possess not real distinguishable taste and except for the very rare period of turbidity, is generally very clean.

Sometimes right out of the tap, it smells somewhat harsh but if you leave it refrigerated in an open container for a bit it loses that harshness and ends up tasting somewhat better the colder it gets.

--------------------
"I can't sell Bjarne's paté, it tastes like jockstrap." - The Green Butchers
+Quote Post
justabob
post Sep 28 2003, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Absinthism survivor

Member No.: 20

I tried this very thing last night with a bottle of p68 and noticed no difference between the tap or bottled water. Maybe there would be an observable difference with the En Emile products that do not louch as heavily to begin with?

--------------------
oh fuck me
+Quote Post
Lord Stanley
post Sep 28 2003, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Vito Von Sawchuck

Member No.: 73

I like to go outside every morning and shake the dew off of every blade of grass in my backyard into a sterilized lead crystal pitcher. The dew drops impart a nice earthy flavour to any absinthe. Especially pleasing when mixed with Un Emile Sapin as the grass and pine create a wonderful "outdoorsy" aroma. The pitcher sterilization process ensures that no strange chemical reactions occur between dish soap residue and the weed killer on my lawn.

Either that or whatever chilled water happens to be in the fridge. Sometimes you just need the drink in a hurry. wacko.gif

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. - MT
+Quote Post
Perruche_verte
post Sep 28 2003, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Gangan kwa kwa

Member No.: 37

I just use tap water that's been through a PUR carbon filter. It tastes fine.

Is the louche really something to strive for, or is it merely secondary to the main purpose of the slow drip, which is to bring out the maximum flavor and aroma from the drink? No doubt the two are closely related, but I would not use a bad-tasting water just because it made the absinthe more cloudy.

I have tried absinthe with various sparkling waters, and the result was invariably nasty. Something about the mineral water gave a disagreeable bitter taste to the drink.

--------------------
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
+Quote Post
I_B_Puffin
post Sep 28 2003, 07:17 PM
Post #9

Elitist Bastard

Member No.: 67

Sixela, are you sure they were both the same temperature, and poured at the same speed. I kind of doubt that there would be a noticable diference in louche from using mineral water.
+Quote Post
Brett
post Sep 29 2003, 03:46 AM
Post #10

Highland Absintheur

Member No.: 30

I found that the Emile products louche best with ice cold water and a VERY slow drip. The first time I tried the Sapin, the louche was terrible.

Using my brouille glass, I can get a very nice opaque louche with the Sapin.

I would say water temperature has more to do with it than mineral content.

--------------------
"I can't sell Bjarne's paté, it tastes like jockstrap." - The Green Butchers
+Quote Post
Touch-money
post Sep 29 2003, 04:09 AM
Post #11

Informed Imbiber

Member No.: 21

every time i have drank i have noticed the colder the water the better the louche. i dont think that minrals have anything to do with it, but then again im not absinthe guru

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 29 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Anal sage

QUOTE (Artemis @ Sep 28 2003, 02:50 PM)
"I have a hunch that the louche is indicative of elements of the essential oils coming out of solution when the alcohol concentration drops"

Hunch, is it?

Yes, hunch. That's one mechanism I know for producing these fancy chemistry 101 effects. I don't know if there are others, though.

--------------------
--
For incredibly brain-melting hotness, always bet on Number Six -- Maxim, December 2003.
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 29 2003, 11:12 AM
Post #13

Anal sage

Is the louche really something to strive for

Well, that was the second part of the question..is the louche indicative of the quantity of elements coming out of solution in the alcohol/water mixture, and if so, does it indicate a possible difference in taste?

--------------------
--
+Quote Post
sixela
post Sep 29 2003, 11:17 AM
Post #14

Anal sage

QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ Sep 28 2003, 09:17 PM)
Sixela, are you sure they were both the same temperature, and poured at the same speed. I kind of doubt that there would be a noticable diference in louche from using mineral water.

Yes. At least approximately (this was hardly done using lab equipment, of course). Don't know if the amount of sugar was exactly the same, though, as I only add half a cube (and I didn't measure whether the two halves of the cube had the same weight).

As for the speed: I have a "carafe", not a fountain -- at least in my kitchen wink.gif. But it's a container with a good shape that lets you pour water in a slow trickle.

FWIW, I think my tap water has a lot more calcium than the mineral water (i.e. spring water -- not carbonated mineral water) I was using.

I could swear it wasn't temperature. In fact (heresy!) I just tried one with water straight from my tap, markedly warmer than the spring water from the fridge, and the absinthe still louches very nicely (doesn't taste as refreshing, though). Something which *definitely* doesn't happen with unrefrigerated spring water (at least the kind I'm using).

--------------------
--
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Sep 29 2003, 04:12 PM
Post #15

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

Yes, hunch.

No, not hunch. Fact. Read the FAQ. In fact, read about it in any number of places on the Internet. This forum moved beyond hunches as to what causes "louche" years ago.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 08:54 PM