Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pernod Fils White, English Label
Artemis
post Mar 23 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #31

Master of Oblivion

Group: Ragin' Cajun
Member No.: 2

I don't claim to know, but I assume that the words "green" and "white" were translated on the label because those are the words that distinguish the only difference in the two products and inform the customer what he's getting. Pernod is Pernod in any language, ditto for the names of the towns, and extrait d'absinthe and qualite superieure are close enough to the English words that people would understand those. Also, it may have to do with their trademark - not messing with the label too much so as to retain whatever was registered.

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dakini_painter
post Mar 23 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #32

error, please reboot

Group: Members
Member No.: 3216

So, gonna post some hot louche action pics?

And why not send some to Ted to analyze so we can know if it really is PF Green sans coloring, rather than having that be speculation/hypothesis/educated guess.

--------------------
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, 144 Delaware Street, Walton, NY 13856
An absinthe distillery in upstate NY. www.delawarephoenix.com
"Good is the only investment that never fails." - Thoreau.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Mar 24 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #33

Skulduggering cut-throatist

Group: Absinthe Mafia
Member No.: 1747

I'm interested in finding out information about the PFW at this point.

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
Green Baron
post Mar 24 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #34

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3093

Understandable. The information I'm most curious about is: how does it taste to the average wandering absinthe collector?

--------------------
Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!
"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence…"
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Mar 24 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #35

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

QUOTE(Stroller @ Mar 23 2010, 09:14 PM) *

I'm interested in finding out information about the PFW at this point.

IPB Image

IPB Image

so according to the PF book of 1905 the only herbs that goes in the blanche are : wormwood ,fennel,anise, melissa

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Absomphe
post Mar 24 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #36

Cozy Nostril Originale

Member No.: 66

That makes perfect sense, since there were only six herbs added to the verte.

--------------------
I've scrubbed my sigs with Oxy Clean™.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Mar 24 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #37

Not a grate photo, it looks like some of the seal came off after the WS took photos for their files. Pieces of the seal were in the bottom of the bag when I unwrapped it.

Attached Image

--------------------
"I heard that they made a recent discovery of a new tomb, the likes of King Tut's. But I think I might put in a bid to buy it all for my private collection instead of letting the museums study it and display it for the enrichment of all." Shabba53
+Quote Post
Provenance
post Mar 24 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #38

Antipathist of Light

Member No.: 2442

What's your take, do you think it was originally white, yellow, or can you not tell?

--------------------
We all used to be things we aren't anymore.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Mar 24 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #39

Light yellow. I had thought an off-white to begin with but looking at where the seal recently broke off changed my mind.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 24 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #40

Master of Oblivion

I think Eric's question was based upon it being written in some old texts that the used plants left in the colorator would be redistilled to capture the alcohol they held. So, this alcohol would be green, and scented with not only the base herbs, but the coloring herbs. After redistillation, it would be clear again, but now scented with six or more herbs, and probably fortified with an additional charge of fresh base herbs. So, what to do with that runoff? Left alone, it's now a white absinthe, but with six or more flavors rather than just three, and all from a maceration - a super white, as it were. Colored again, it's now a super green. This chain could build continuously, or, was any of this clear (white) super runoff cut out at some point and bottled as white? There are other possibilities, including that they really didn't reuse the herbs in the colorator, and that the white product used more herbs than just the holy trinity, despite what the old texts say. Certainly, clear absinthes were made by some distillers with nine or more herbs. If this one has just three it would be an interesting taste experience for sure, and prove what I (and others I'm sure) already know - that only three herbs are needed to make absinthe, and the rest are icing on the cake (or in some cases, they mask the fact that the distiller didn't know what he was doing with the basic three - you have to walk before you can run).

This post has been edited by Artemis: Mar 24 2010, 07:23 PM

--------------------
Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours.
+Quote Post
Donnie Darko
post Mar 24 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #41

Alethiometer

Member No.: 51

It's amazing what can be done with just a few herbs, so I can imagine Pernod White to be extra-amazing given the makers. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Blanchette only used 3-4 herbs, and back when it used the Pontarlier wormwood it had a really dynamic and interesting taste. Segarra meanwhile only uses two herbs, just anise and wormwood, and it's not a bad absinthe.
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Mar 24 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #42

If they reused coloring herbs, I'm not sure they would make that part of the process public. I never thought about it until Eric mentioned it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Artemis
post Mar 24 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #43

Master of Oblivion

I thought about Segarra and considered saying only two herbs, but I can't be sure since Segarra has that woody barrel nuance that I really don't like, and the herbs hide under it. I prefer grain alcohol over grape for the same reason.

--------------------
+Quote Post
EdouardPerneau
post Mar 24 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #44

Absinthusiast

Member No.: 3169

might use the recycled herbs or might not , close future will tells us

--------------------
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .
+Quote Post
Stroller
post Aug 19 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #45

A thread at WS was brought to my attention a few days ago which contained a fair amount of speculation regarding how I purchased the bottle of PF White. I say speculation because to date I’ve not disclosed the purchase price with either Shabba or Hiram and both were told point blank by the seller of the PF White via email that if they wanted to know the purchase price they could contact me. I don’t recall either character contacting me. If they want to pretend they know what I paid I could care less but when Shabba posts emails making it look like I paid $1,000.00 for the bottle when he knows that offer was made by JM Franc I decided to chime in. The Seller disclosed to Shabba via email that JM Franc made the $1,000.00 offer as well as another offer from a highly respected member of Fee Verte. Ultimately I purchased the bottle from the seller after meeting and spending a few hours discussing and drinking Absinthe.

Shabba guessed he could sell samples of the PF white for between $200-$250 per sample. The size of the sample was not discussed but Shabba seemed to have trouble figuring out how much was in the bottle based on the photos turned to Hiram for assistance with this difficult undertaking. Hiram determined there was about 25 ounces in the bottle. Shabba did not offer to purchase the PF White upfront but instead wanted to the seller to ship the bottle to him and he would pay the seller after the samples were sold. The seller was concerned about the contents of the bottle and what would happen if the Absinthe was bad. Shabba informed her that due to the high alcohol content that Absinthe ages well and that he had several dozen absinthe brands from late 1800’s to early 1900’s and all of them aged gracefully. I can’t begin to imagine having a collection of samples from several dozen absinthe brands. Impressive.

In the end Shabba blew the deal when he didn’t offer to buy the bottle upfront for a set amount and wire the money to the Seller. Another member of WS confirmed the authenticity of the bottle when she was sent to take photos for WS documentation.

It would have been interesting to see how things would have played out if the seller had shipped the bottle to Shabba and the Absinthe didn’t taste good. Would Shabba have disclosed that to WS members? Would he have adjusted the price down and explained he had to look out for the best interests of WS and had to disclose the Absinthe tasted bad? Or would Shabba have represented the best interests of the seller and sold the samples for the highest possible price to WS members even if the samples tasted bad?

I contacted the seller March 15, 2010, setup a meeting with the seller March 17th and purchased the bottle March 18th.

The seller was happy, I was happy and Shabba had what amounted to a tantrum via email throwing out that he would have given the seller $7,500.00 or more for the bottle which made the seller laugh.

As for the price, it was substantially more that the $1,000.00 lowball offer and less than Shabba’s panicked $7,500.00 offer after I had already purchased the bottle.

I have the emails but decided not to follow Shabba’s example and publish them in public.

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 02:22 PM